Reunion Angst

Guest Blogger Jennifer Ginsberg: "Let's do it!" Amy begged, "It'll be fun...."

woman looking anxiously at reunion

Amy is one of my best friends and I would do anything for her. This includes attending our 15 year reunion and facing all our eccentric classmates from the LA County High School For the Arts.

I just received the invitation via Facebook, which ironically has reunited me with all the people from high school that I have spent my adult life hiding from.

The evening started with Demetrius, some guy I hardly remembered, asking me "What the hell happened to your boobs?" While his question was clearly the result of verbal diarrhea, it was legitimate, nontheless.

I suppose he remembered my D-Cup Glory, before I had children and breastfed them longer than is considered socially acceptable.

What is a woman to do in this situation? Break down in tears? Immediately book an appointment with a plastic surgeon?

Thankfully, Demetrius didn't wait for my response. "You've got to see my show. It's called 'The Nasty Hip- Hop Gangster Train'. Imagine performance art, rap, and magic all mixed up. Naked chicks are dancing behind us- The Crack Hos. So freaking hot!!"

He blew his cigarette smoke in my husband's face.

"Excuse us!" Amy and I bolted to the bathroom and left my asthmatic husband to deal with the madness.

We came back and I saw an old acting teacher whom I once had a crush on. I remembered him as cute and sexy. What stood before me was a middle-aged, balding, paunchy man wearing nerdy slacks.

I wanted to remember him in all of his glory.

As I suppose Demetrius had wanted to remember my breasts.

I had the courtesy to refrain from asking him, "What the hell happened to your hair?"

It was time to leave.

The next morning I had several messages on my Facebook Wall asking me why we left so early.

"Something happened to my boobs..." I responded.

paige March 30, 2009, 11:31 AM

This is hilarious! And so true, great jog back in time to those reunions. Aging never felt so good. Thanks Jennifer for your humor and transparency.

JW March 30, 2009, 2:52 PM

Classic! I’m forwarding to all my friends. Thanks for the smile.

Heather Robinson March 30, 2009, 4:54 PM

You zero in so beautifully—and humorously—on the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune in the age of Facebook. Not a wasted word either—Brava!

Katharine March 30, 2009, 4:56 PM

This essay is incredibly hilarious, but also very poignant, and an experience that I think many of us can relate to. Having to face the fact that we have deteriorated in some way since our glory days as teenagers is always a rude awakening!

Sheila March 30, 2009, 7:15 PM

I burst out laughing at his absurd comment. What he said was outrageously stupid - leave it to a guy to make a comment like that. I love the way you turn a story into something everyone can relate to. I’ve already told all my friends about this…Great stuff!
- Sheila

Rose March 30, 2009, 7:44 PM

I had a similar experience at a reunion - i hate men. Of course we all change over time - and most of us for the better. At least you were re-connected with your best friend so with the bad we get to good. Really enjoyed what you had to say - funny, clever, well written. Thanks…

Sandra March 30, 2009, 10:57 PM

you are hysterical. i love it. i needed this after chasing around 3 kids. keep it coming, girl.

Skylar March 30, 2009, 11:03 PM

It is so bizarre how long lost relationships are renewed via the Internets. And then to receive word about your reunion? That takes the cake…

Sharon March 31, 2009, 12:08 AM

I think everyone has had a high school crush on a teacher or the star of the football team. At my reunion, the guy I couldn’t stop thinking about was bald, overweight…and gay! Was good to finally put an end to that chapter. Great stuff!

Heather Burt March 31, 2009, 9:47 AM

What a talented writer! This story is hysterical!

elanit  March 31, 2009, 2:40 PM

Facebook is a blessing and a curse. Sometimes memories should just be left alone. You made me laugh so hard though it might be worth it to go to my next reunion.

erotizm April 3, 2011, 3:24 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

imagen April 8, 2011, 5:13 PM

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

kayyu April 8, 2011, 5:15 PM

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

adult sikis April 8, 2011, 7:20 PM

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will be grateful to you.