Tennis Controversy: Female Player (with Male Past)

AOL Health: Who does a person born with both male and female sex organs, but who identifies as one gender, compete against in sex-segregated sporting events?

tennboygirl270.jpg
Sarah Gronert, a 22-year-old tennis pro from Germany who was born with both male and female genitalia, has chosen to compete against women, and that has some in the tennis community up in arms. "There is no girl who can hit serves like that, not even Venus Williams," says the coach of an opponent Gronert recently beat. The coach, Schlomo Tzoref, also claims, "This is not a woman, it's a man." Is Tzoref just a disgruntled coach, trying to stir up controversy, or is there any validity to his claim? What makes a man a man, and what makes a woman a woman -- and how does being either affect one's ability to win?

The Olympics has one answer; the WTA has another; across the board at national and international levels there seems to be a free-for-all in deciding how to allow players who do not fit into the binary division of traditionally defined female and male to compete. Meanwhile, science has its own explanations and advice for the sports community.

Sarah Gronert, 22, is ranked 619 in the world. According to Fanhouse, at age 19 harsh treatment from peers about her ambiguous-gendered past almost led her to quit tennis.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Man Had 2 Wives in Same Apartment Complex
ev  March 21, 2009, 7:09 PM

It is hard to tell in this era who is “man” and who is “woman” the sex of a person can sometimes give advantages in some sports or in some general activities. In many cases it will matter. there are wonderful toys that helps I find www.slumberpartiesbyevelyn.com for weddings and just girls night out party . Sex matters but there are toys to even the playing field

Gail Cooke March 21, 2009, 11:24 PM

I think that the coach’s concerns are valid. I realize that the person has male and female genitalia and identifies with the female gender. Sometimes though, the physical characteristics match an opposing gender.

Cxaovwah June 27, 2009, 1:32 AM

O9t8LW comment3 ,

Shona Benken January 15, 2011, 8:52 AM

Wonderful post!, it is informative. Looking forward for your new posts!

michaeljii February 7, 2011, 10:21 PM

I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me. Really the article is spreading its wings rapidly…
Regards,
MichaeL
linux hosting Consultants || NYC.USA

michaeljii February 7, 2011, 10:23 PM

Regards,
MichaeL
linux hosting Consultants || NYC.USA

FURQAN February 14, 2011, 10:11 PM

I am very glad to know that your site is upgrading from the simplest to more faster and synchronized form. I am quite familiar of a lot of sites since I work as a freelance writer and one of the sites that I find evolve is your site respectively. I am looking more on your site progress as well as new version that is more convenient and helpful to the members like me. I really appreciate the move that you made. Thanks a lot!
MichaeL || debt consolidation || NYC.USA

Nike Air Max Shoes March 8, 2011, 11:38 PM

Authentic Gucci Caps Classic Tall and Short UGG Boots on sale with the Price you will love.

jobs in kent part time March 12, 2011, 4:25 PM

Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?

rwa kulszowa March 20, 2011, 5:17 PM

very interesting site, I invite you to her. pzd