Toddler Injured on Train Ride at the Mall

Caution should be taken anytime a child goes on an amusement park ride -- even at the mall.

toddler in hospital after falling off malll ride

A local Florida TV station reports a 12-month-old boy is in good condition Wednesday, after he fell and struck his head while riding an electric train at the Southland Mall. According reports to the boy's family, he is doing well and is recovering at Miami Children's Hospital.

When when paramedics arrived on the scene, they found the hysterical mother carrying her unconscious toddler. CPR was performed on the child and he was airlifted to the hospital.

The train ride was immediately shutdown for inspection. "We sent an inspector out this morning and ran the ride through its paces to determine if there were any mechanical or structural problems. It was the conclusion of our inspectors that mechanically and structurally, the train is in compliance with state standards," said a rep from the Mall.

The operation of the children's train has been suspended, allowing for further "safety study."

Momlogic talked to amusement park safety expert Alan Korn, Director of Public Policy and General Counsel for Safe Kids Worldwide, for some tips on ride safety. "He offers parents the following tips:

Follow the height and age restrictions on the rides: Most parents don't realize that the numbers on the signs are a minimum requirement, Korn says. If a sign says: "Anyone under 5 feet can't go on" that means you have to be at least 5 feet. But just because you meet the height requirements, you also need to possess the physical and cognitive capabilities to ride these rides. They call them thrill rides for a reason.

Follow your instincts: Watch the ride a little before you put your kid on it, recommends Korn. "You know your kid best," he says. "If they're showing any apprehension or discomfort, go try another ride. Many rides are scary, and require an adult to ride with the child. That is a wonderful rule. If you're on the ride, too, it helps ensure your child won't stand up on the ride, take off his seat belt, dangle his feet over the edge...and you can also provide emotional comfort, as well."

Always use the safety equipment: "The park or mall knows their rides best," Korn says. "If there are machine restraints, use them. These rides are engineered to be very safe, but that doesn't mean accidents don't happen. In a Six Flags park in Texas, a kid's feet were cut off by the ride. But if you behave safely, and follow the height and age instructions, you'll drastically lower your risk of injury."

next: Gwen Stefani's Taking the Babies on Tour!
Anonymous March 11, 2009, 8:16 PM

He probably was too young or too small for it.

Ju March 12, 2009, 12:11 AM

My SIL kept a hold of my DD on a small carousel ride, walking around in a circle with her hand on her back the entire time. My DD was around 28 months at the time, but she was a baby still and didn’t know you had to constantly hold onto the pole. I didn’t know there were rides where a 12mth old could go on it by itself. Poor little guy, I’m glad he’s doing well. What a scare the mother must have had!

Anonymous March 12, 2009, 10:10 AM

I live two minutes from that mall and I take my two year old on that exact train all the time. I’ve never seen anything wrong with it. However, every time we go, I climb in that itty bitty train with him and hold his hand or make sure I’ve got a good grip. It only takes a second. I feel awful for that mom and her child. How sad. I hope he recovers fully.

Anonymous March 12, 2009, 12:11 PM

I’m sure there will be a lawsuit following this.

Anonymous March 26, 2009, 1:12 PM

WHY would anyone put a 12 month old on a ride such as that. I think it ultimately the parents who are at fault, they should have made safer choices for their infant. People need to stop relying on the system to keep their children safe, and start using common sense!

John March 26, 2009, 1:18 PM

Try Kentucky it was Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom not Texas. Get your story straight next time.

Anonymous March 26, 2009, 1:46 PM

A one year old baby should not be riding something like that by themselves. I hope the child recovers, but the parents are to blame here. A 12 month old baby cannot be counted on to stay in their seat unattended like that. Common sense people!! Most of these injuries on rides come from user-error, kids or teens standing up, or trying to do something that is not allowed.

miranda March 26, 2009, 2:35 PM

a 12 month old is not a toddler - he’s a baby! i would never allow my baby to ride alone…common sense! i do hope the baby recovers fully. lesson learned!

Anonymous March 26, 2009, 2:38 PM

Was the 12month old on the ride by himself. If he was WHY!!!

connie March 26, 2009, 2:48 PM

Why would a parent put a baby on a ride by themselves anyway. baby’s don’t have a show of fear. Plus, they don’t sit still. Iam a mother of seven, and I still don’t allow some of my teenage children to ride some of the rides, because I don’t think they are safe. They argue with me, but I would rather be safe then sorry.

anonymous March 26, 2009, 3:07 PM

u should of held on to the kid and u shouldn’t of let him ride it because he was only a year old

anonymous March 26, 2009, 4:12 PM

what are you talking about John? Where is anyone talking about a Six Flags? and according to you NOT getting their story straight? Regardless of who is at fault, just hope the child is okay and the mom recovered as well.

rebecca March 26, 2009, 4:34 PM

both the parent AND the operator are at fault in this one.

Anonymous March 28, 2009, 11:09 PM

John is talking about, “These rides are engineered to be very safe, but that doesn’t mean accidents don’t happen. In a Six Flags park in Texas, a kid’s feet were cut off by the ride.” Read the article next time, or at least make use of Ctrl+F.

Inkling April 2, 2009, 10:58 AM

Once again…a prime example of a parent’s inattentiveness. WHY do parents think it is alright to take their kid ANYWHERE and let them roam free or not pay attention to them? I can guarantee that whenever I have allowed my children to ride any machine I was right there beside them. If they played at ANY playground, whether it was at a restaurant or government site, I was near and supervising them. I don’t understand parents that don’t supervise their children and blame others when they get hurt.

Super King May 9, 2009, 12:35 PM

Well, I live about 4 miles from this mall and my kids have rode on this very train probably every single trip to the mall. It is very safe and fun for them. I was at the mall last week and was speaking to to the operator of another kiddie ride next door to the train ride… “ALLEGEDLY” the mother had paid for a ride, put her son in line and then went to go get her hair and nails done at the salon AND WAS NOT PRESENT AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT. Maybe now she will have a wake up call as to how to parent.

Wolphlxr July 1, 2009, 5:01 AM

vFxSxh comment4 ,

Anonymous March 10, 2010, 8:47 AM

- Super King
Posted 05/09/09 12:35 PM

Wow some people should get their story straight before they say anything. the truth will come out in the end. Jsiah knows his his mom loved him and he was not put on tha ttrain to be klilled but to have fun she knew what he liked and did not like and so did i. i will always be cautious now but before i will have put him on there myself and i am the granmother.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:55 PM

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Color Non Traditional Wedding Dresses December 11, 2010, 8:58 AM

The solution is to gradually become free of societal rewards and learn how to substitute for them rewards that are under one’s own powers. This is not to say that we should abandon every goal endorsed by society; rather, it means that, in addition to or instead of the goals others use to bribe us with, we develop a set of our own.