Tropicana OJ is Taking Advantage of Me!

The redesign of Tropicana's Pure Premium OJ containers has me pissed! Why? Because the design went from upscale to totally generic.

Tropican Juice

Susannah Locketti: I put myself through college working as a grocery store cashier. The daily ritual of scanning food items exposed me to the art of corporate design trends and re-branding efforts. I'd be the first to notice a change in packaging, or the new angle companies would take to lure us to buy their product. Right now for example, fiber is the buzz word. Companies have now found a way to put fiber in cottage cheese -- just to increase sales! It's absurd because cottage cheese does not naturally have fiber. Poptarts now have tons of fiber. If I want fiber I'll eat an apple people!

When Tropicana down-scaled their packaging six weeks ago, I was shocked, yet understood exactly what their marketing team was trying to do with the new design. The simple bottle with an orange in the middle and 100% juice on the front is a far cry from their former white bottles with their classic straw stuck in an orange logo. The old juice container also boasted "Pure Premium." This bottle runs the barely noticeable Tropicana name up the side with "pure premium" in very small type.

The bottle was unappealing, but if you think about it, Tropicana is now competing with less expensive store brands and generic brands in a bad economy. If it looks inexpensive, then the customer might assume it costs less and buy it. The problem was Tropicana didn't consider what their existing customers would think about the new design.

Turns out, faithful Tropicana drinkers hated the redesign. Angry consumers took to the web and complained because it looked so generic. Tropicana drinkers wanted that Pure Premium look back, and in several weeks they'll get it. PepsiCo will return the juice to its former self as a result of the whirlwind of negative feedback.

I'd understand Tropicana's redesign if their price reduced at the same time their look reduced ... but as a mom and a consumer, I feel taken advantage of by Tropicana. Some people are so crazed at the store they do in fact grab what looks generic and inexpensive without looking at the price. Crying kids and a long day at work will do that to you! Little do consumers know they just grabbed a pricier juice designed to look cheaper. Talk about reverse marketing...

next: One Mom's Fight for a Cure
Vicky March 7, 2009, 10:44 PM

Get over yourself Susannah. Everyone’s trying to save money these days and as long as they’re not cutting quality, I don’t care. I like the new design.

Rachel March 10, 2009, 10:10 PM

Upset over a product’s redesign? ORANGE JUICE, to be exact???? How stupid. You have too much time on your hands, there are other things to be upset about.

do March 11, 2009, 2:05 PM

forget the package…does anyone even notice that the new containers on now 5 ounces short of the old package and my store has even raised the price!

Kathy March 11, 2009, 7:06 PM

Not only the design of the container has changed! It seems the brand Light & Healthy had dissappeared off the face of the earth! I always buy that kind, and since the new design, there are no Light & Healthy on the shelf, in both supermarkets I go to frequently!
When I saw the new containers, I was confused and looking and looking for the Light & Healthy one, but none to be seen!

Gail Cooke March 13, 2009, 12:26 AM

Personally, the product itself is more important….I throw the package away when I’m done. So it really doesn’t matter.

JeffT March 31, 2009, 7:32 AM

I do believe the OJ comes in a “carton,” not a bottle. For someone who worked in a grocery store, this seems like a simple thing to remember! Anyway, I hate the preachy message on the carton I used this morning. “Rescue the Rain Forest?” Please It isn’t being held for ransom. It’s being “cultivated” by people who live in other countries. What am I supposed to do? Fly down there and picket the cutting sites? And risk getting eaten by some “jungle” animal or, worse yet, shot at by the people cutting down the trees? Just sell juice and stop with the preaching.

Maryellen Brewer May 1, 2009, 3:47 AM

9aoubdtef5da3033

Andrea December 8, 2009, 5:47 AM

Wow, I’m a mother of 2 under 6, I stay at home with my children. After reading this story I am thinking,” There are WAY bigger problems in my world and the world around us!” I am busy, but I actually take the time to look at the prices of the things I am buying.
I think we need to put our frustration into more productive things. Rather than spending time blogging about a darn juice container,maybe get online and grab a coupon, which makes the said juice virtually free at my grocery store, which is way cheaper than the store brand.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 12:20 PM

Great post. Nice to read. There’s a thing to make about t-shirts.