When's the Last Time You Washed Your Bra?

We recently shared our grooming secrets (or lack thereof), with you. We asked our staffers to tell when the last time they tweezed or waxed their eyebrows.

Woman doing laundry

Today, we're asking... WHEN'S THE LAST TIME YOU.... WASHED YOUR BRA? We opened up the question to our community.

NC Mom said: "Every night, so that I have a fresh one for the next morning!" While, Tonya said: "If the dog would refrain from eating them, I'd probably be able to rotate them/wash them a lot more than what I do, but I think I only have three left at this point and laundry piled up to the rafters."

Here's what our staffers had to say:

jill.jpg I'd guess about once a month, if that? I alternate between two (sometimes swapping in the strapless) in my rotation. Scary!
talitha.jpg I don't remember. I tend to put it in the wash and then pull it out the next day. Meaning: I put it in the laundry basket then pull it out before washing it.
andrea.jpg I wash my bras all the time I have about six in rotation. The only problem is I don't hand wash them AND I put them in the dryer -- so most of them are in tatters -- I am constantly replacing bras. I believe over my lifetime I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on bras -- and I don't even buy expensive ones!
vanessa I probably do it like once a month or whenever I feel like they're not clean when I wear them.
melissa.jpg I rotate about five bras and they probably get washed about once every two weeks. So that means that I wear them like two - three times and then they get washed.
jenny.jpg It's embarrassing but I have two bras (that fit me well) in my rotation. I probably wash them once a month. Maybe... By hand though, and hang them out to dry. Still, that's probably pretty gross.
julie.jpg Maybe a few days ago. I have three or four in rotation and I just wash them whenever my hubby does the laundry.
gillian.jpg Eek. Is it bad that it's only once a week?
lindsey.jpg Three years. Since my mastectomy/reconstruction, I haven't worn one.
Talk about perks!

So how often should we be washing our bras? Well, according to Brawise.com (a website dedicated to all things bra), women should wash their bras every other time they wear them. Depending on the fabric and color of the bra, this schedule changes with different pieces.  When it comes to wash and care, the experts at Victoria Secret recommend hand washing your bra in cold water with a lingerie-safe detergent. They also believe air drying is the best possible way to keep your bras beautiful. Machine drying can only harm your bra's delicate details.

What's your best beauty trick? Tell us and you'll be entered to WIN a $500 Best of Beauty basket from The Tyra Banks Show! Click HERE for details!

next: Dear All Non-Pregnant People in My Life ...
Jennifer March 13, 2009, 7:58 AM

I probably wash my bra every couple of weeks and while it is in the dirty clothes i have another fav bra that I put on!

Weekends Off March 13, 2009, 12:00 PM

EWWWW !!! I wash mine after every wear, same as my underware and socks. I have a drawer full of bras so there is no need for me to wear a dirty bra ever.

Amber March 13, 2009, 12:57 PM

I only have 2 bras and one of them gets washed when I do laundry, which is 3 times a week. So I’d say they are both clean at the same time at least once a week. Who knows. Ha.

Anonymous March 13, 2009, 8:29 PM

for moms who are breast feeding… have to get a breast pad and… then just change the pad dont need to change bra too often… can use watshable pads or other types if dont want to wash….

michelle March 13, 2009, 8:39 PM

wow, I’d have never thought this would be up for any kind of reading. I thought I was the only one who did this. I have 4-5 favorites and if I know I did not sweat in them then I wear it again the next day. not more than two days though. And, ONLY if I didn’t do any kind of sweating.

Kris March 14, 2009, 12:07 PM

Out of 4 bras-I wash mine once- twice a week and will wear the same one only twice. I had no idea women went so long without washing them?? Interesting poll.

Auntie Jo March 14, 2009, 12:13 PM

Once every 2 weeks!!!!

Heather March 14, 2009, 12:13 PM

I only wear a bra once then it goes in the laundry. I’m a sweatty gal though!

Tara March 14, 2009, 12:30 PM

When it starts to get stinky.

CP March 14, 2009, 12:50 PM

I think it’s crazy to see that people wear them only once or twice then wash them.

I wash mine maybe once a month, and i only have 2.

HMM March 14, 2009, 2:06 PM

I wash ~everything~ after only wearing it once. I have a very sensitive nose. Same goes for everyone else in the house.

ninae1 March 17, 2009, 1:04 AM

after reading the article and the comments, it does not impress me that women dont wash their bras that often. i wash mine after 2 or 3 days if i didnt sweat. What i find interesting is that there are a lot of women who only own 2 bras! why is that????

Terry G April 1, 2009, 10:36 AM

I have 7 bras, wear them once and wash all 7 on laundry day in the sink with woolite. If you take good care of your bras they can last for years. Do not put them in the washing machine…I learned the hard way and ruined a very expensive bra.

Dyydivco June 23, 2009, 3:36 AM

KNhOes comment2 ,

RIVERA29Briana August 24, 2010, 7:38 PM

If you are in uncomfortable position and have no money to move out from that, you will have to receive the loan. Because it would aid you for sure. I take short term loan every year and feel fine because of this.

acai colon cleanse November 5, 2010, 2:04 PM

Fruit Political,usually read award son entirely information mind planning civil scene afford well refer hear policy kill consideration refuse alright notice rural famous flight whatever size produce pub whatever phase capable rate exist scheme citizen near cabinet royal over impact open expenditure argue tree here gun student busy whole consequence proper sufficient assembly down recommend during traditional off nod works assembly long justice attempt lunch natural about yesterday agent ring upper application observe society circumstance certainly conclusion capital economic baby investigation whilst around market debate source elsewhere about man ago over

Felice Modique March 28, 2011, 5:55 PM

I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to achieve my goals. I absolutely enjoy reading all that is posted on your website.Keep the tips coming. I enjoyed it

Kai Hardaker March 30, 2011, 6:11 AM

Keep working ,fantastic job!

Renate Runquist April 6, 2011, 9:07 AM

Super-Duper website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

Darrel Tranum April 8, 2011, 1:43 AM

Hey! Are you going to be creating a follow up? My room mate and I definitely enjoyed the read. We had been both surprised how well you covered the topic. Approach to go!