4-Year-Olds with iPods?

Leah Remini says daughter Sophia, 4, has her own iPod and is very into Miley Cyrus, Pink, and Kelly Clarkson.

Leah Remini

"Right now, [it's] Kelly Clarkson over and over again, and Pink's 'So What,'" she tells People. "She's, like, obsessed with Pink. Kelly Clarkson she's starting to get obsessed with. Miley Cyrus's 'The Climb.' Certain songs. She's like, 'I only wanna hear this song and this song,' and then when I try to give her other Pink songs, like her R&B stuff, she's like, 'No, oh no!'"

Is 4 too young to have an iPod? How old was your kid when he/she got one?

next: "Make It a Party!"
Teresa April 28, 2009, 8:32 AM

My child rec’d her first ipod (shuffle) for her 6th birthday last year. She loves it and I download Kidz Bop cd’s, Hannah Montana, and certain radio version friendly songs. It’s great when we travel!!

Kristen April 28, 2009, 10:06 AM

The ipod isn’t what bothers me, I think they can be a great tool for downloadable music and stories. The problem I have is that 4yr olds or even 6yr olds are listening to pink, hannah montana ect…… Why are people exposing their children to these things so young?

Wendi April 28, 2009, 10:14 AM

I think that is totally nuts! That is way to young. My kids are 12 and 13 and only have a MP3, NOT an IPOD. I think they are way over priced. This is the exact type of thing as to why children these days feel entitled to have what ever they want. I also agree that a 4yr old should not be listening to that type of music either. So Sad

Barb April 28, 2009, 10:49 AM

We got our daughter an iPod shuffle at 5, and it helps so much when traveling. I can listen to an audio book while she listens to her music and we’re all happy. She’s very responsible with it, turning it off before we get out of the car and bringing it into the house. We’re happy with the decision to get it for her. As far as music—I’ve never listened to Hannah Montana or Pink, but our daughter likes They Might Be Giants (both their kiddie music and their adult music) and, at 6, she still likes Lori Berkner, etc. I though Hannah Montana WAS for kids?

Mollie April 28, 2009, 10:54 AM

My son is 8 and just got his first MP3 player this past weekend. He has a lot of what we listen to on the radio on his player. Everything from Pink, Outkast, Miley Cyrus, Kidz Bop and even some James Taylor. I have to approve everything that goes onto his MP3 player and there have been times when I have said no to certain songs that have lyrics that are inappropriate. However, I have also taught my son what is and isn’t appropriate for his age.

Anonymous April 28, 2009, 10:59 AM

Yes, 4 is too young

Alexcia April 28, 2009, 10:59 AM

My son is 19 months and knows how to hold my IPOD Touch to watch Backyardigans, Little Bill, Sesame Street etc.. he loves it. Not to mention all the amazing apps they have for teaching sign language, shapes. When he’s old enough, I’ll get him his own.. it’s a great teaching tool and soo much fun!

Over40 April 28, 2009, 11:13 AM

When my daughter 4 she wouldn’t have even known how to use an ipod. What’s the hurry? Quit trying to make your kids grown up so fast.

Anonymous April 28, 2009, 1:19 PM

It’s not about trying to grow up too fast. It’s just technology, no big deal. We listened to the same records over and over at that age, kids in the eighties and nineties watched the same freaking Barney video over and over again. Kids like repetition. Ipods give you the benefit of programming them with what the kids favorite song is. So what’s the big deal? Why is this even an article?

Gigohead  April 28, 2009, 4:10 PM

I don’t think it’s too young. My nephew is the same age and he loves music and dances along when I play his favorite songs on my ipod. What Lisa needs to be cautious is the volume. it can cause a lot of harm if it is too loud.

Rachel April 28, 2009, 4:39 PM

Kids are growing up way too fast. What happened to the boombox or the stereo? Listening to music WITH your kids? Why can’t four year olds listen to Peter Paul and Mary like they used to? Also, like “Gigohead” said, the volume of kids’ iPods is a huge issue; even with older kids. Loud music, especially with the earbuds so close to the ear, causes a huge amount of damage. Get your kids a pack of cards, some checkers and a sprinkler to run through. They’ll be happier growing up without excessive electronics.

Jill (the other one) April 28, 2009, 6:13 PM

I agree that it’s not the technology, it’s the music. Four seems a little young for Pink. When I was four, I had a few Mickey Mouse records and cassettes of kids’ songs.
But, hey, to each her own.

AM  April 28, 2009, 6:19 PM

My kids were 11 and 10 but they had mp3 players first and once they showed responsibility with those then they got iPods. As far as music goes that’s a decision every family has to make together. All that aside I have to ask… is it just me or does little Sophia look kinda pissed in that photo? You can see someone’s hand still straightening her hair in the pic… you would think they could’ve chosen another picture… maybe one where she was smiling and no one was pulling on her hair…

Natalie April 28, 2009, 6:39 PM

Ugh! Leah Remini is the worst mom. I’m sorry, but I have seen her on several talk shows talking about her daughter and I feel she is creating a monster! That little girl is the most spoiled rotten child I have ever heard of. I predict she will be obese by age 7 and in rehab by 14. Sorry this might sound harsh, but we should use Leah as a role model of how NOT to parent. The iPod is the least of my concerns. They indulge this child in every whim. She rules that house. I feel sorry for the whole family.

sara April 28, 2009, 7:39 PM

my kid is 1 and wont go anywhere without hers, i think they are amazing. she loves to sleep with it, when shes sleeping i could make all the noise i want and she wont wake up.

MarcomMom April 28, 2009, 8:51 PM

Music is great for all ages, but personally I limit my daughter’s exposure to teen themes about love and dating and heartbreak right now. When she’s 12 or so, she can have more exposure. Right now, I want these scarce little-girl years to be full of rainbow-colored ponies and butterflies and soccer and art and innocence as long as possible…

theresa April 28, 2009, 8:52 PM

My daughter is 2 and knows how to work our iPhone and iPod touch. She watchs movies, plays games and listens to music. All on her own. Music is so important in a child’s life. If you can afford it, I say go for it!

Carrie April 28, 2009, 8:58 PM

We have leant our iPod to our kid starting at age 4 so she could listen to an audiobook while waiting for her younger sister to finish her class. I wouldn’t buy her her own — too fragile and expensive — but when I told my brother-in-law that she wanted a kid’s mp3 player for her bday, he said he had an old iPod he’d give her instead. I imagine she’ll end up with some kind of hand-me-down mp3 player at some point.

Debbie April 28, 2009, 9:04 PM

All my kids love music and they listen to what is age appropriate for them on ipods, cd’s etc. My youngest one doesn’t have his own ipod (he’s only 3) but he does listen to his brothers when he gets the chance. He uses the cd player in his brothers bedroom and loves karaoke on dvd’s such as Shrek. Music is such a huge part of life I would never deny my kids the chance to listen to it, as long as it’s age appropriate!

Quel in Austin April 28, 2009, 10:01 PM

No ma’am. Just another way for lazy parents to check out.

Unacceptable.

Try enjoying the music out loud together! Enjoy the moments! They’re only kids for a short while.