4-Year-Olds with iPods?

Leah Remini says daughter Sophia, 4, has her own iPod and is very into Miley Cyrus, Pink, and Kelly Clarkson.

Leah Remini

"Right now, [it's] Kelly Clarkson over and over again, and Pink's 'So What,'" she tells People. "She's, like, obsessed with Pink. Kelly Clarkson she's starting to get obsessed with. Miley Cyrus's 'The Climb.' Certain songs. She's like, 'I only wanna hear this song and this song,' and then when I try to give her other Pink songs, like her R&B stuff, she's like, 'No, oh no!'"

Is 4 too young to have an iPod? How old was your kid when he/she got one?

next: "Make It a Party!"
Maria April 29, 2009, 1:22 AM

My son has a hand me down ipod he recieved from my sister when she bought herself an ipod touch. He is 4 yrs old, and he has fun learning how to listen to music. I only have songs on there that are G rated (like disney soundtracks) and I think it’s cool to see him have a leg up on the technology. It’s not like he spends hours with it either, maybe a couple for the whole week. And I lock the volume since I’m a worry wort about his hearing. At the end of the day, who cares (as long as no one is getting hurt), all mothers raise their children differently, it takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round!

TheT April 29, 2009, 7:11 AM

Too young. And Natalie is right on. I absolutely can’t stand it when parents think it’s cute their kids are brats.

Rachel April 29, 2009, 11:20 AM

It is SO ridiculous for a 4 YEAR OLD to have an iPOD!!! 12/13..yeah! but 4 years old…seriously?! I dont know abotu you?…but I am not spending $400 on a piece of technology for my 4 year old. She can have a cheap mp3 player..but def. not an iPod. and it will NOT have PINK on it..seriously? Thats another topic, that I dont want to address. simply. CRAZY!

Dels April 30, 2009, 4:49 PM

ipod vs inexpensive mp3 player? seriously, i dont think cost or value is an issue for this couple, so that is irrelevant. I dont see anything wrong with buying a toddler their own mp3 player, its no different than other portable devices used to entertain the fickle tots such as portable dvd players (handheld and cars), portable game systems, cd players in the 90s and tape players in the 80s. Just be a responsible parent about usage and content. I dont let my girls(13,10 & 9) use earplugs, i buy them inexpensive headphones instead.. and I control the volume as well as downloads.

A middle schooler June 24, 2009, 6:46 PM

Okay…. A four year old with an Ipod. I’m 13, and I don’t feel the need for an Ipod. I don’t get why this woman didn’t buy her a cheap C.D player and burn the kid a C.D. The music would cost the same, but she could save a fortune buying a $30 C.D player instead of a $160 C.D player. Why is this even an on here? If I turned this into my English teacher, Mrs. V, she would laugh at me, then she would give me a zero.

Mel July 8, 2009, 6:08 AM

Well I’m 17 and I’ve had my iPod since I was about 12 which I think is okay. This is the age when children start secondary school and listen to chart music instead of songs from disney. Before iPods existed, I had a cd walkman. I was brought that one christmas and I was about 8 years old. I would listened to quite childish music then. Before even that, I had a tape player because CDs had only really been introduced (now I feel old!) and I had that from a very young age, around 3 or 4. So I don’t really see the problem. If it wasn’t an Ipod she had but something else such as a portable CD player, there wouldn’t be any massive uproar like there is. It’s only because of how much iPods cost. It’s only a piece of technology and as long as it has child friendly songs on, I don’t see the problem!!

DavidHunter January 14, 2010, 10:17 PM

Interesting post! There’s a lot of good information here. I’ll have to check back on occasion to see what’s going on.