5-Year-Old Sent to Traffic School

When a mom was ticketed because her son wasn't wearing a seatbelt, she begged the judge to punish her child, too.

Judge

When a mom named "Jessica" (who doesn't want to divulge her last name) in New Mexico was pulled over because her 5-year-old wasn't wearing a seatbelt, she got a ticket, reports KRQE.

When she went to court, she begged the judge to discipline her son. He continually took off his seatbelt while his mom was driving, despite her pleas.

Judge John "Buddy" Sanchez says, "She didn't want to plead guilty to it because it was her son that was actually not obeying her."

The judge ordered the mother to take her young son to a seat-belt safety class, which starts next month.

"I think it's a very good idea," said Jessica. "He took his seatbelt off all the time until Judge Buddy Sanchez talked to him."

Do you think this is a good idea ... or should the MOM be the one doing the disciplining, not the judge?

next: How to Tank the Casey Anthony Trial
amy April 9, 2009, 3:38 PM

This is great! Of course mom should be the one disciplining but I still think it’s great for a child to see what can happen when rules are broken and that even us adults have to pay consequences. If anything, it’ll be a good experience.

anonymous April 9, 2009, 3:55 PM

I think it’s a good idea. There are some things children will do no matter how many times they are told not to and disciplined by their parents. Sometimes when a different authority figure tells them, they’ll start listening.

Rachel April 9, 2009, 9:46 PM

It’s not that the mom isn’t disciplining the child, it’s that the child continues to disobey. It’s great that the judge stepped up to her request. But the bigger issue is that this child doesn’t respect his mother enough to listen to her and I’d bet there’s other reasons that are behind it.

ashley April 10, 2009, 8:13 AM

I think it’s awesome!! I got pulled over on the first day of school this past year and I was freaking out because it was aschool zone but I knew I wasn’t speeding. Turns out my 6 year old son had taken off his seatbelt. I talked to the cop and told him I didn’t realize he took it off. The cop went around and asked my son if he had an allowance, my son said yes and had about $40.00 in his bank. The officer said “Well, if you’re mom gets a ticket then you need to pay for it.” He then went on the explain why it was so important to wear a seatbelt. Ididn’t get a ticket and my son ALWAYS wears a seatbelt without being told!!

Janet April 13, 2009, 5:08 PM

As the mother of five children and a van with two rows behind me, it is more than likely that someone might take off their belt without my knowledge. One thing I have that I used and am not afraid to remind them is that my dad was killed before he put his seat belt on in a car. His hand was across his chest with buckle in hand when he was hit and killed. It serves as a reminder to my children that they need seat belts on at all times. My children have learned the consequences the hard way by witnessing the results first hand and it was a lesson that they will never forget. My youngest was only 22 months at the time but he still fears the warning. Remind your children that even in parked cars or slow moving cars a seat belt can and most likely will save their lives!

greeneyes April 13, 2009, 8:16 PM

WTF??? No, NO, NO, are you kidding me? That’s like me saying, Oh I want my son to go on a diet with me because it is his fault I’m fat,after all, I did get fat from carring him for 9 months!!! That is stupid.

Jace April 14, 2009, 12:53 AM

I think it’s a great Idea. The thing is western culture and Laws was very lenient in child discipline. I beleived that a little spanking wouldn’t kill your child.

DorotheaHead29 June 1, 2010, 11:50 AM

I opine that to receive the loan from creditors you must present a good motivation. However, once I have got a secured loan, because I wanted to buy a bike.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 9:03 AM

Nice article! Good to read. I’ve just got a opinion to make about funny t-shirts.