Florida Seeks Death Penalty for Casey Anthony

The prosecution reverses its position on the death penalty for accused child-killer Casey Anthony.|

change-of-venue.jpg

Back in December, prosecutors in the first-degree murder case against Casey Anthony said they would not seek the death penalty. Well, they changed their minds.

Today, the state attorney office filed a letter of intent to indeed seek the death penalty for
23-year-old Anthony accused of murdering her three-year-old daughter Caylee.

Originally, the state attorney's office had said "it is not in the best interest of the people of the State of Florida to pursue the death penalty." Prosecutors told a local Florida news station that they did not, at that time, have any aggravating circumstances.

So what changed? The reversal of the prosecution's position was probably not triggered by new evidence, says Robin Sax, a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, "They've either confirmed or dispelled some of the other theories. Or found a 100% link to the crime."

The change in his client's status affects Anthony's lead attorney in more ways than one -- he is not qualified to try a first-degree murder case.

If convicted, do you think Casey Anthony deserves the death penalty?

Discuss the latest Casey Anthony news in the momlogic community.

Listen to an excerpt from the Lt. Tammy Unser interview discussing Casey Anthony's demeanor at the jail when she is informed her daughter's remains had been found:

More recently released documents :

Casey/Cain Interview Pt 1 Casey/Cain Interview Pt 2 Casey/Cutcher Interview Pt 1 Casey/Cutcher Interview Pt 2 Casey Anthony Evidence

Casey Anthony Photo Bucket

MOMLOGIC'S COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE CASEY ANTHONY CASE

next: Phil Spector Found Guilty of Second-Degree Murder
ChasiB April 13, 2009, 7:46 PM

I feel that they should not give her the death penalty. I strongly disagree witht the death penalty. They should just let her sorry behind rot in jail and think every day about what she has done. The death penalty is the easy way out. Let God take care of her!!!

Sally April 13, 2009, 7:50 PM

The news that the state is seeking the death penalty and Baez will no longer be allowed to serve as lead counsel made my day. This news should slap the smirks right off of the faces of Jose, Casey, Cindy and George. I’m sure once the state confirmed that the dirt on Casey’s shoes and burrs on her car tied her to the remains site they had the final pieces of the puzzle that pointed to Casey Anthony as the murderer of Caylee. She planned and executed the murder of her own child in cold blood and she should pay with her life. I am so sick of Cindy, George, Lee and Casey and her lawyers stating that Casey is innocent and being framed. Caylee can’t rest in peace until her mother is given the lethal injection. A mother who takes the life of an innocent toddler and then has no remorse, regrets or feelings for her child does not deserve to breathe air, stuff her mouth with goodies and slather lotion on her body.

Lisa  April 13, 2009, 8:37 PM

Fry!

SanSmith April 13, 2009, 8:42 PM

Even though Casey deserves the DP, I hope it’s only used to threaten her into a confession(because they have proveable hardcore evidence like the shoe dirt,burrs,dried saliva on the heart sticker with her DNA on it,etc). She should have no avenue to escape-the only way is straight to prison for Life without Parole(forever and ever, Casey, until you drop dead).

Brooke April 13, 2009, 8:53 PM

There’s no punishment in letting her think about what she’s done when she shows no signs of regret.

Anonymous April 13, 2009, 9:28 PM

The only thing wrong with the death penalty is it takes too long to be carried out and it isn’t used for all murderers, I think it should be mandatory for all child killers!!
Also, I agree,Casey has NO conscience, she was and is, happy that she killed Caylee!

Sally April 13, 2009, 10:19 PM

I agree. The death penalty should be manadatory for child killers regardless of race, age or sex. From the beginning, Casey Anthony has shown no remorse, no regret and no concern that her toddler was gone. Even the homicide detectives were shocked when Caylee’s skull was found in the woods behind the Anthony home bound with duct tape and a heart sticker and stuffed in a plastic garbage bag like Casey had buried her hamster. Only a mother full of rage would have done anything so heinous and cruel to her own toddler. If anyone deserves the death penalty, it is Casey Anthony.

Michael Jackson April 13, 2009, 11:44 PM

I would like to do Casey in the butt like a young boy ! Tee-Hee.

MeLissa April 13, 2009, 11:59 PM

I really don’t care what happens to Casey at this point. Dealth penalty or life without parole, it doesn’t matter. People say that they want justice for Caylee, but they don’t talk about Caylee anymore. Everyone’s just on the edge of their seat for more dirt on the Anthony’s or Baez.

Caylee was a beautiful little girl. She should have been allowed to grow, play, and dream. She should have had her first crush, school dances, a first kiss. If only she’d had a mother that loved her more than she loved herself.

Jill (the other one) April 14, 2009, 12:36 AM

I think the death penalty is absolutely appropriate in this case. And for those of you who think death is an easy out or a way for Casey to “escape,” consider how long it takes for a death row inmate to actually face execution. If convicted, Casey will indeed have a long time behind bars to think about her actions (for all the good it’ll do her).

Leeza April 14, 2009, 12:53 AM

Maybe now that the DEATH PENALTY is on the table- Casey, Cindy, George and Lee will wake up from the dillusional cloud they float around on! Reality hits hard to those who look through rose colored glasses, as the Anthony family does.It’s a relief to see the wheels of justice in forward motion! Jose Baez is finally being forced to take a bow and move over, allowing a seasoned death penalty lawyer take over. Today is like a dream come true! Thank you Lady Justice!

melissa April 14, 2009, 2:37 AM

I’m so glad that the death penality is back on the table. The true Victim in this case is Kaylee. How could she just kill her daughter to get back at someone? Or to go and Party and live it up. Let’s remember that Casey didn’t call the police Cindy did!! It just goes to show how Little casaey thought of Kaylee throwing her away like a sack of garbarge. I hope she Fries! She deserves it.

Suzanne April 14, 2009, 4:43 AM

Off the subject a little, George, I believe really loved Caylee. How can he in his deposition, defend Caylee’s murderer?

TheT April 14, 2009, 5:55 AM

I just hope they have really strong evidence. A jury will be a little more difficult to persuade with life or death on the line. It only takes one nutcase to louse things up

Cheryl April 14, 2009, 7:37 AM

In my opinion, Casey SHOULD get the death penalty. How can a mother murder her own child and throw them away like they are trash—not to have a second thought about her while she (tot mom) was out hooching it up, having the time of her life?!?!?!? My opinion of Cindy Anthony—she may have loved Caylee at one time, but now Caylee is nothing more than a dollar sign to her. I think she knows way more than she will ever admit. My opinion of George—I felt sorry for him at first because he truely was the only one that cared about what happened to Caylee. Now, he is no better than Cindy. He knows that Casey MURDERED Caylee. Cindy has apparently brain washed him into her way of thinking. In my opinion—I think that the Anthony’s (Lee, Cindy or Casey) sent the PI’s to find Caylee’s body or Bozo or whoever actually told the private investigators that the body could very well be in the wooded area, because the defense wanted to make sure the body was never found. NO BODY-NO DEATH PENALTY. This would be why they PI’s were instructed not to call 911. So, what was the defense going to do with her body, throw her in a dumpster like trash?!?!? I guess Casey and her defense team think alike.

The Meanest Mom April 14, 2009, 8:33 AM

yesyesyesyesyes!!! because there are more casey anthony worshippers like Melissa Huckaby who killed Sandra Cantu and the other mother who shot his son in the firing range first then herself and some other stupid mothers born into this world. Kill her already, i said kill her! let’s end the devil’s plot to ruin the world! Let this twisted drama end!

Anonymous April 14, 2009, 8:48 AM

I suspect that she wont get the death penalty, should it get that far. I am thinking that things are going to start changing now. Baez is out, and casey is going to start freaking out..and if not her, mom and dad will…I just read the defense said they would do anything necessary to keep the state from taking her life..like, I suppose, accept a plea bargain at this point??

cajungirlinla April 14, 2009, 9:04 AM

Yes, Casey Anthony does deserve the death penalty. Look at pictures that are posted on the internet from her computer. Casey took a picture of a “dumpster”. Now, wouldn’t you believe that is where she threw Caylee??? I do!!!. Cindy and George, as for the both of you, if you really loved Caylee like you said you did, then you would not be protecting her murderer, which is your daughter. I am so glad that they are seeking the death penalty on Casey

Mike April 14, 2009, 9:07 AM

Off with her head!

Judy April 14, 2009, 10:17 AM

I am glad that they are charging Casey with the death penalty. This is one case that warrants it. Being in jail for life means nothing to Casey. Being in jail for a long time, knowing she will eventually be killed for murdering her lovely daughter, Caylee, might actually get through to her. She is such a sociopath, that it is hard to understand how her mind works. I would compare her to Scott Peterson. In all the pictures of her, she has blank eyes like he did. She doesn’t think of anyone but herself and had no love for her child. I think she thought of Caylee more like a sister who she was jealous of.