Crazy Mom Diets ... That Actually Work?

Momlogic's nutritional counselor gives you the skinny.

Haylie Pomroy: In my 15 years of practice as a nutritional counselor, I have seen diet trends come in and out of favor. There are a few that are actually pretty sound in their approach. Then there are some that are wacky in their philosophy as well as their outcome. Some get the weight off fast, only to leave it and double the pounds lurking as soon as you eat again. And then there are some that are downright dangerous.

woman eating

Let's see if we can merge urban myth with clinical experience and explore some "crazy" diets that can actually work.

HCG Diet
It is a clean, healthy food-based diet coupled with a trace of the pregnancy hormone HCG. It is extremely low in calories, but the theory is the HCG stimulates rapid fat metabolism, providing the fuel for the body. I have seen clients lose 25 pounds in a month, reverse diabetes, lower cholesterol, and avoid gastric bypass surgeries with this one. Some extreme dieters follow this diet and try to save their money by not purchasing the HCG -- a monthly supply runs $500-$1,700. This is where this diet can go very wrong. On the diet without the HCG, I have seen many young women come in with elevated cholesterol and in a very poor state of health.

Optimal Cleanse
This has been billed as the "Lose 10 pounds in 10 days" diet on national television and is endorsed by many A-list celebrities. The craziest thing about this diet is how much it changes people's lives. It is like boot camp for those that want to become a health nut and make lifelong weight changes. There are shakes involved, but grocery lists, recipes, and meal plans make this program easy to integrate into a new lifestyle. Clinically I have seen this diet significantly reduce cholesterol, lower blood sugar, and go after the fat in those hard-to-get-to places.

The Cabbage Soup Diet
I actually kind of like this diet and I have seen many individuals have pretty good success. Basically you make a cabbage soup, eat as much of it as you can every day, and each new day you add specific foods and only those foods. For example, you have a day with bananas and skimmed milk, and the soup of course. This diet seems to fade in and out of popularity over the years; I have even seen it handed out in cardiovascular clinics across the country. Clients get some weight off and then can migrate to a healthy, well-balanced diet and keep it off.

Master Cleanse
A crazy diet article would not be complete without mention of the master cleanse. Many people also refer to it as the maple syrup or lemon juice diet. It is not at all food-based. You drink approximately 160 ounces daily of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, salt water, and herbal stool softening teas. This is not typically a diet I endorse, but there is a time and place for most things. A male client had a torn meniscus in his knee and was in significant pain. His insurance company would not approve his knee surgery until he lost 20 lbs. Pain, medical necessity of the surgery, and very limited financial resources motivated us to dust this "crazy" diet off and successfully take it for a spin.

Although this diet has been around for over 50 years, Beyonce brought it into fashion again when she used it to lose a quick 20 lbs while preparing for her roll in the movie "Dream Girls."

I really try to keep up on fad or "crazy" new diets. Many are merely recycled ideas with a new name and new promises of glory. There is the Chocolate Diet, Apple Cider Vinegar Diet, Russian Air Force Diet (I see this one making a comeback soon), and, believe it or not, there is even a diet where you drink your first morning urine, yuck!

Many of my clients walk through the door having tried one or many crazy diets. I have to tell you that I am truly a purist at heart and I advocate high-quality, nutrient-dense foods that enhance the metabolism and nourish the body. I will also tell you that under the right clinical setting, I have used many crazy diet concepts to jiggle loose a few pounds fast for clients in need!

next: 2-Year-Old Takes Art World By Storm
Kerrie Faigley November 12, 2010, 2:43 PM

It only goes to show where there’s will there’s a way. Keep on trying. - What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Cavaleri November 12, 2010, 2:58 PM

You make some good points. I guess it depends on your standpoint. - Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Kerrie Colasamte November 12, 2010, 6:02 PM

Interesting post reminds me of another gem. - To you I’m an atheist; to God, I’m the Loyal Opposition. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Rosekrans November 12, 2010, 6:20 PM

Doing some browsing and noticed your website appears a bit messed up in my K-meleon internet browser. But fortunately hardly anyone uses it any longer but you may want to look into it. - I read part of it all the way through. - Samuel Goldwyn 1882 - 1974

Kerrie Dinnendahl November 12, 2010, 6:26 PM

Hey, found your site by accident doing a search on Google but I’ll definitely be coming back. - Basically my wife was immature. I’d be at home in the bath and she’d come in and sink my boats. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Sesay November 12, 2010, 6:35 PM

Came clueless, left worried. Thanks for the post. - I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Alu November 13, 2010, 12:48 AM

Keep it up the good job :) - To you I’m an atheist; to God, I’m the Loyal Opposition. Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Cefaratti November 13, 2010, 12:59 AM

Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows no good. - Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Kerrie Chappan November 13, 2010, 4:05 AM

You make some good points. I guess it depends on your standpoint. - Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Kerrie Councilman November 13, 2010, 4:09 AM

Then again, the opposite could be true. - Students achieving Oneness will move on to Twoness. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Joulwan November 13, 2010, 4:19 AM

Hah Ein Tropfen auf den heißen Stein - Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch. Attributed to Tim Berners Lee

Kerrie Skripko November 13, 2010, 4:22 AM

Came clueless, left worried. Thanks for the post. - If a program is useless, it will have to be documented. Attributed to Laws of Computer Programming

Kerrie Rabern November 13, 2010, 4:38 AM

Doing some browsing and noticed your website appears a bit messed up in my K-meleon internet browser. But fortunately hardly anyone uses it any longer but you may want to look into it. - Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kerrie Pataki November 13, 2010, 9:45 AM

Doing some browsing and noticed your website appears a bit messed up in my K-meleon internet browser. But fortunately hardly anyone uses it any longer but you may want to look into it. - Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. - Confucius

Kerrie Steury November 13, 2010, 10:23 AM

It only goes to show where there’s will there’s a way. Keep on trying. - Last week I stated that this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister and now wish to withdraw that statement. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Kerrie Vanlier November 13, 2010, 10:31 AM

Strange this post is totaly irrelevant to the search query I entered in google but it was listed on the first page. - You can tell German wine from vinegar by the label. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Kerrie Contraras November 13, 2010, 1:26 PM

You make some good points. I guess it depends on your standpoint. - Who had deceived thee so often as thyself? - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Kerrie Drissel November 13, 2010, 1:46 PM

Just read it and went gosh, I know why I was poor in the debate class. - Died: 0000-00-00 - Woody Allen Born 1935

holiday November 14, 2010, 8:54 AM

4 and 5 star hotels killarney,5 star hotels in killarney

quality hotel killarney November 18, 2010, 9:56 AM

It’s really okay. I am just perched in my hotel room in Killarney checking all of these opinions. Some are good and some really don’t make very much common sense in the least. I am just on a break but nonetheless , I just wasn’t able to help myself from looking at this blog site in spite of my hotel room now in Killarney bills net intake by the hour.hotels in killarney town centre,cheap hotels in killarney city centre