Rape Charges Possible in Sandra Cantu Case

Prosecutors announced today that, in addition to murder, they may charge the Sunday school teacher and mother suspected of killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu with raping and molesting the little girl.

Melissa Huckaby

Formal charges have not yet been filed against 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby, but San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Robert Himmelblau told the AP a murder charge against Huckaby could include the special circumstances of rape with a foreign object, lewd and lascivious conduct with a child and murder in the course of a kidnapping. A conviction on any of the special circumstances makes Huckaby eligible for the death penalty. The DA has not yet said whether or not they are considering pursuing execution in this case.

Huckaby's 5-year-old daughter Madison was one of Sandra's best friends. She lived with her grandparents in the trailer park -- just five doors down from Sandra. Just days before her arrest, Huckaby was released from the hospital. Relatives said she suffers from stomach ulcers. One report indicated that police believe Sandra was killed at the church where Huckaby's grandfather serves as a pastor. Police refused to confirm this.

The body of little Sandra, who was reported missing on March 27, was found on April 6 stuffed in a suitcase that had been thrown into an irrigation canal just a few miles from her home.

Can't get enough of this case and others like it? Connect in our community.

See Also:

next: College Student Found Dead in African River
Sherry(the real one..haha) April 13, 2009, 10:01 PM

This new revelation is just sad.

Gail Cooke April 14, 2009, 2:32 AM

People scare the Hades out of me.

Linney April 14, 2009, 9:02 AM

this story just breaks my heart.

Liz April 14, 2009, 9:34 AM

She def deserves the death penalty. What a sick woman and to think she’s a mother herself. I’ve always told my kids if lost to look for a mom with kids, but I guess you really can’t trust anyone.

Thanita April 14, 2009, 10:21 AM

As a survivor (and sufferer) of childhood torture that is molestation, I am sadden by this recent news. Ugh it just makes me sick to my stomach. This women needs to be locked up for good if not have the death penalty. Sick sick sick. Doesn’t matter if it’s a man or woman I am sickened by the fact that known child molesters are allowed to live in our communities as long as they’re “registered”. Ugh. Even thought this woman may have not been a known molester, it still is just sad and shocking at the same time.

im very sorry April 14, 2009, 11:18 AM

im am very sorry for the loss of sandra cantu that melissa huckaby sould be in jail all of her life(who cares) she shouldnt be doing that to a little young girl no onedeserves that…may sandra cantu R.I.P.

Cassandra April 14, 2009, 11:28 AM

If she did the things she is being accused of, Hell Yeah they should give her the death penalty other than feeding her and housing her and spending God knows how much money on her for the rest of her life!

Lisa  April 14, 2009, 1:07 PM

Despicable! She should fry along with Casey Anthony.

Gurlz April 14, 2009, 11:48 PM

Mommy why did she kill her?
Why?
An older girl at school said that being a girl sucks,is that true?
Mommy will my period hurt?
Mommy I want to have many babies like the famous woman on TV.
Mommy what’s free birth?

Ingrid April 20, 2009, 1:08 AM

I cannot believe all this has happened. I have a daughter, and she is almost 2 years old. No one has taken care of her except for my mother. We are a Christian family and It is so so so shocking to me how the only person that we can blindly trust in is God and no one else. This makes me sick and this woman should pay for what she did to this girl. I cannot imagine the pain this family is going through. God Bless you all.

Carlotta April 30, 2009, 11:59 PM

What is going on in this world now a day? women killing their own or boyfriends killing or friends killing someone elses child. what ever that Monster did to this precious child was so horrific they cant tell the media.. must have been really sick..I hope that Monster suffers a slow death.. god only know what she did to poor sweet Sandra… RIP little angel.