Olympian Dara Torres -- Killer Mom, Killer Bod

I've been old before. I was old when I was 27 and I got divorced. I was old when I was 35 and I couldn't get pregnant. I was really old when I was 39 and my father died. But when I was 41 and I woke up in a dorm in the Olympic Village in Beijing. I didn't feel old. I felt merely -- and, yes, happily -- middle aged.-- Dara Torres' new book "Age is Just a Number"

Dara Torres

Dara Torres is a 41-year-old Olympic medalist and twice-divorced mother of a toddler who is breaking all the stereotypes of motherhood. In a nutshell, she thinks completely differently than most of us. She writes in her new book, "Age is Just a Number," that after having a baby, the constant waking up actually gave her a competitive edge in swimming. Torres believes overcoming odds gives you the strength and energy to reach your goals. Momlogic talked to the supermom about her life, family ... and that fab bod!

ML: How did being a mom make you a better athlete and a better person?

DT: It taught me how to find balance. I had to find balance. I also used it to my advantage as an athlete because I was up in the middle of the night while the rest of the athletes were asleep. I didn't need as much rest. I remember on my first international meet a coach said: "Were you on the same flight as the rest of the team?? You look way more awake!"

ML: How many hours a day do you work out? Don't you get mom guilt?

DT: I work out about two hours a day. I'm away a lot, so yes, I definitely feel guilt! Especially at the Olympics last summer, because I was gone so long, I had such guilt. But I Skype, I get her [daughter Tessa] involved, even though she is still young she knows about my work. Right now on the media tour I have her and my mom with me, so that really helps.

ML: How did you get the baby weight off?

DT: I stayed in shape while I was pregnant. I didn't really eat for two. I did gain 36 lbs. but it was gone two to three weeks after I gave birth. Oh no, the moms reading this are going to hate me! No, I just didn't make excuses and I worked with a trainer who specialized in pregnancy exercise. What they don't tell you about is after the baby's born! I couldn't sit down for an entire week and my abs had no definition. It took me about two months to get those back.

ML: What about for the average moms, do you have any workout tips?

DT: Moms are so busy, but walking with your kids, taking the stairs at work, doing exercises at home. Do bicep curls with a can of food! Getting your kids involved in your workout really helps.

ML: You struggled with bulimia. Are you nervous about this happening to your daughter, and how will you prevent that?

DT: Well, I'd know how to deal with it now. No matter what she looks like, she's beautiful. But I will know what to look for now I guess.

ML: Do you have any vices like chocolate or wine?

DT: Well, I don't drink, but I did just finish two Rice Krispies treats. Desserts are my vice. I love sweets.

ML: This might sound ridiculous, but do you have any trouble spots on your body?

DT: I don't have a butt! I am trying to build one.

ML: Any other advice for moms?

DT: Age is just a number. I hope women will get that out of this book, that age is a misconception. I am older and stronger, physically and mentally.

Check out Dara's new book!

next: Dad Blogger Reacts to Sandra Cantu's Death
Sandy Kimball April 9, 2009, 7:01 PM

Just wanted to say that we talk about you in my class at Park Trails Elem. My window looks out at the street named after you. I admire everything you do and share that with my first grade gifted students. They are in awe of you. Also have the newspaper article about you in my reading corner for my students to read..yes they do read it! I tell them that they can do anytihng! Would love to have you visit our school one day soon!
Thanks, and much happiness to you and your daughter

Gloria Rodriguez April 13, 2009, 5:10 PM

Dara, Just started reading your book (Age is a Just a Number)is very inspiring, its great to see women like you braking the molds, is been helpfull and motivating at this time in my life. Please let me know if you come to Chicago for a book signing or something. I’m sorry I missed you and all the Olympic winners (Especially you and Mike)at Oprah’s Celebration, that must had been fun and exciting.

Best regards,

Gloria Rodriguez
gloriatranslations@yahoo.com

p. s. Torres…..Spanish somewhere????

Danielle Wright May 13, 2009, 10:10 AM

Dara,
Recently read your book, i was having flashbacks of the pool the entire time. I swam for Florida State as a freshman when you were a senior and also at NCAAs. Its amazing how far you have come. As a 38 yr old mother of 3 i cant imagine going thru training again. But i am inspired by your accomplishments. I can only now do 500 yrds before becoming bored out of my mind. I swam 50 free,100,100breast. If you decide 2012 I will be one of your biggest fans. Danielle Wright

Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:40 AM

In linked information, a lion would not cheat on his spouse, but a Mr. Tiger Woods Wooden.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 2:40 PM

Very useful reading. I appreciate your effort, have a nice day!

diazepam December 1, 2010, 4:10 PM

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so, Excellent post!

Marbella apartments December 10, 2010, 5:10 AM

Very helpful website. Thanks, looking forward to your feed updates…

new hair styles 2013 short hairstyles December 22, 2010, 4:10 AM

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.

Lasonya Hammer December 29, 2010, 8:14 AM

I keep listening to the newscast lecture about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the finest site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some?

Art Wildenthaler January 7, 2011, 1:01 PM

I really like your site. Thanks so much, have a nice day!

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 1:02 PM

Interesting post. Nice reading. There’s a point to offer about tee shirts.

bedroom window treatments January 22, 2011, 2:00 PM

Hey i am not going to be all that original this time, so all i have to say is that your website is cool, sad that I don’t have such writing ability Thanks again for sharing this online. I definitely enjoyed every part of it.

erotyka January 26, 2011, 2:01 AM

I love your website :) Greeting from Europe!

Shawanda Duchene January 27, 2011, 1:33 AM

Excellent information. Nice piece of info, very informative and easy to understand.

christian wedding ceremony script January 31, 2011, 8:32 AM

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.

Torty February 1, 2011, 8:19 AM

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

windy elektryczne February 3, 2011, 1:04 AM

I’m just writing to let you be aware of of the great encounter my wife’s girl developed going through your webblog. She realized too many issues, which include how it is like to have an amazing giving nature to make other people smoothly learn about some impossible things. You really surpassed visitors’ expected results. Thank you for supplying such invaluable, healthy, explanatory and fun guidance on your topic to Mary.

szyby samochodowe warszawa February 5, 2011, 2:02 AM

Funny post, I especially like this article.

Joellen Barne February 5, 2011, 6:29 AM

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

Torty February 6, 2011, 4:35 AM