Olympian Dara Torres -- Killer Mom, Killer Bod

I've been old before. I was old when I was 27 and I got divorced. I was old when I was 35 and I couldn't get pregnant. I was really old when I was 39 and my father died. But when I was 41 and I woke up in a dorm in the Olympic Village in Beijing. I didn't feel old. I felt merely -- and, yes, happily -- middle aged.-- Dara Torres' new book "Age is Just a Number"

Dara Torres

Dara Torres is a 41-year-old Olympic medalist and twice-divorced mother of a toddler who is breaking all the stereotypes of motherhood. In a nutshell, she thinks completely differently than most of us. She writes in her new book, "Age is Just a Number," that after having a baby, the constant waking up actually gave her a competitive edge in swimming. Torres believes overcoming odds gives you the strength and energy to reach your goals. Momlogic talked to the supermom about her life, family ... and that fab bod!

ML: How did being a mom make you a better athlete and a better person?

DT: It taught me how to find balance. I had to find balance. I also used it to my advantage as an athlete because I was up in the middle of the night while the rest of the athletes were asleep. I didn't need as much rest. I remember on my first international meet a coach said: "Were you on the same flight as the rest of the team?? You look way more awake!"

ML: How many hours a day do you work out? Don't you get mom guilt?

DT: I work out about two hours a day. I'm away a lot, so yes, I definitely feel guilt! Especially at the Olympics last summer, because I was gone so long, I had such guilt. But I Skype, I get her [daughter Tessa] involved, even though she is still young she knows about my work. Right now on the media tour I have her and my mom with me, so that really helps.

ML: How did you get the baby weight off?

DT: I stayed in shape while I was pregnant. I didn't really eat for two. I did gain 36 lbs. but it was gone two to three weeks after I gave birth. Oh no, the moms reading this are going to hate me! No, I just didn't make excuses and I worked with a trainer who specialized in pregnancy exercise. What they don't tell you about is after the baby's born! I couldn't sit down for an entire week and my abs had no definition. It took me about two months to get those back.

ML: What about for the average moms, do you have any workout tips?

DT: Moms are so busy, but walking with your kids, taking the stairs at work, doing exercises at home. Do bicep curls with a can of food! Getting your kids involved in your workout really helps.

ML: You struggled with bulimia. Are you nervous about this happening to your daughter, and how will you prevent that?

DT: Well, I'd know how to deal with it now. No matter what she looks like, she's beautiful. But I will know what to look for now I guess.

ML: Do you have any vices like chocolate or wine?

DT: Well, I don't drink, but I did just finish two Rice Krispies treats. Desserts are my vice. I love sweets.

ML: This might sound ridiculous, but do you have any trouble spots on your body?

DT: I don't have a butt! I am trying to build one.

ML: Any other advice for moms?

DT: Age is just a number. I hope women will get that out of this book, that age is a misconception. I am older and stronger, physically and mentally.

Check out Dara's new book!

next: Dad Blogger Reacts to Sandra Cantu's Death
Torty February 6, 2011, 2:03 PM

That would be really good if they did many articles.

Katalog Stron WWW February 6, 2011, 3:45 PM

Your website is cool!!

klinika stomatologiczna warszawa February 6, 2011, 9:45 PM

very very interesting, nice post.

Katalog Stron WWW February 7, 2011, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the beautiful article, guys. You are awesome!

dentysta warszawa February 7, 2011, 2:19 PM

I wish this article would never end.

stomatolog Kętrzyn February 8, 2011, 5:41 PM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

turbosprężarki nowe February 8, 2011, 6:10 PM

I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

wymiana szyb samochodowych warszawa February 8, 2011, 6:35 PM

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

wyposażenie kin February 11, 2011, 11:31 AM

I just couldn’t depart your website before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often in order to check up on new posts

Baby Room Ideas March 7, 2011, 7:21 PM

I wanted to thank you for this great article!! I certainly liked every bit of it. I have you favorited to find out new stuff you post.

Frederica Longway March 16, 2011, 5:17 PM

Hey, I found your website is incredibly attention-grabbing. I liked your site a lot. Thanks once more for taking the time to put this online. I definitely liked every bit of it.

Kevin Buco March 17, 2011, 9:02 AM

I’d come to comply with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

cocktail dresses under 40 dollars March 28, 2011, 3:15 AM

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

Ara Schumpert March 29, 2011, 7:33 PM

Keep working ,impressive job!

Meredith U. Justice March 31, 2011, 3:07 AM

10 best convertibles  April 6, 2011, 2:08 AM

Very Interesting Post! Thank You For Thi Post!

Ann N. Underwood April 8, 2011, 5:12 AM

Useful

ekspertyzy kryminalistyczne April 9, 2011, 4:50 AM

Thank you very much for your interesting text. I have been searching for such post for a very long time. Not everything is fully easy to understand to me, but it is definitely interesting and worth reading.

Dawn I. Fisher April 9, 2011, 1:14 PM

Intriguing

Herlinda Garrett June 4, 2011, 8:05 PM

You will find many aspects in this content that I can relate to and appreciate. The specifics are solid, interesting and well-written so as to make them simply understood. Thank you.