Don't Make Me Stop This Car!!!

Leslie Adler: How many times have you looked into the rearview mirror of your car, lifted your pointer finger, and clenched your teeth and said to those monsters fighting in your backseat, "DON'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR?!!!"

mom yelling at kids about pulling the car over

During any of those times, did you think about what you would actually do if you stopped the car? Have you ever considered throwing your children out of the car? (Didn't this happen with Lynette in an episode of "Desperate Housewives"?) Worse, have you considered "hurting them"?

On Sunday, a Westchester mom, who also happens to be a prominent lawyer with a large New York City law firm, was arrested for throwing her two bickering daughters out of her car in White Plains and driving away. The charge was "inadequate guardianship." She spent Sunday night in lockup and was released on bail on Monday.

Whaddya think? Could this have been you?

Apparently, she was making a point, then circled the area and lost sight of them. Somehow the girls split up, and one was found walking home and the other, 10 years old, was found, distraught, by a police officer. Neighbors and friends say the woman is a wonderful mother and the family is ideal ... so what happened?

I'll tell you what happened ...

She snapped, had a momentary lapse ... the inane and consistent drone of the "Bickersons" in the backseat, who probably just came from some indulgent event and should be sitting pensively thanking their lucky stars their lives are filled with material riches but instead are fighting over "who shot first shower when they get home" drove her to the brink. And Mom said "If you two don't stop it I am throwing you out of this car and you will walk home." Ignored one too many times ... and a conference call awaiting her once she arrived home ... I am guessing she slammed on the brakes and said "GET THE F@*% OUT!!!"

Now ... once they did ... my rational friends ... perhaps a slow follow ... or not driving at all and letting everyone chillax might have been wise ... legal training (I am a lawyer myself) prepares us for tough negotiations ... instances when the other side is not cooperating ... driving all the way home assuming the two fighting children will stay together and guide each other home, or that either is capable of navigating their way home was, in my humble opinion, going a little too far.

Police matter or family matter? I will let you decide.

Have you been pushed to the edge? Share in our community!

next: Switch! Stay-at-Home Mom Vs. Working Mom
Tree April 22, 2009, 3:16 PM

My mom used to toss us out of the car all the time. It was “shut up or enjoy the long walk home” We didn’t live in NYC though…

Roger April 22, 2009, 3:23 PM

Nice pic. How about a driver from the states for this story.

Marge April 22, 2009, 4:13 PM

I threw my kids out of the car once to make a point! I vote “family matter.”

Anonymous April 22, 2009, 4:14 PM

She went too far! What if the kid was picked up by a chile molestor?

Pat April 22, 2009, 4:16 PM

Agreed! In this day and age you have to be crazy to put your kids out on the street and lose sight of them.

Donna April 22, 2009, 4:32 PM

I threaten this all the time….but have never actually followed through.

Trina April 22, 2009, 5:37 PM

I threaten mine that I will pull over and give out spankings to both of them if they don’t stop. That always works for me. Mine are usually pretty good tho but they are still small (6 and 3.5)

Valerie Ann April 22, 2009, 6:41 PM

These children could have paid with their “life” for misbehaving. I would never do this…..it’s a reckless thing to do!

Alecia April 22, 2009, 7:36 PM

When my son pitches a fit in the car, I ask him if I need to pull over. If he continues to pitch a fit, I pull over the car and I spank him. And you know what? That fit stops. I would never threaten to pull over if I wouldn’t actually do it. Threatening without follow through is what I like to call bad parenting.

Chas California April 22, 2009, 11:02 PM

IMHO…Family issue! 10 and 12 yrs old. It’s only 3 miles. Cant she raise her kids as she chooses? Do they get to tell her how to do it?! She has no prior record, a successful career and managed to keep them alive and safe the last 12 years. Butt out! This is ridiculous!

Carla April 23, 2009, 12:38 AM

I lived out on 60 acres 18 years ago and my daughter was acting up so as soon as we hit our little dirt road I did what I told her I was going to do and I put her out but it was just a little ways up to our house and I could see her crying and running all the way up the driveway but in this day and age I would not do it it is a dangerous and cruel world.

Tiffany April 23, 2009, 1:10 PM

I grew up about 15 miles from town and to make things worse there were four of us in the car. My mom and dad threatened all of us numerous times until they finally did it. Everyone out they said and drove off. The two miles that we had to walk seemed like twenty in the Texas heat. but it worked. There are alot of things twenty five years ago that worked, but now days too many people are trying to tell us how to raise our children. I think that all of us have been there and wanted to do it or something along the lines of it. Some of us have. but are afraid of what people will think of us if we admit it. Bottom line only you and your children know at that moment what was going on and if you feel that the only way to get your point across and show them that you mean business then stick to what you say. So maybe next time a stiutatuion comes up they will listen b/c you followed through with your threat.

Mic April 23, 2009, 2:26 PM

Me & my co-worker were discussing this yesterday. For one-it is NY city, so I don’t think I would do it. And two-my older child would not lose track of his younger sister, but still I don’t think I would ever need to do it because when I do tell them if I have to pull over they are getting it, & the few times I did pull over, they both stopped & were sorry. So, I just get back in car & continue to drive, & they are little angels. :)

Bvnquaxl June 26, 2009, 9:49 AM

45e2ig comment1 ,

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 4:47 PM

I appreciate this web site and will probably be coming back again.

Merchant December 24, 2010, 1:29 PM

As a member with the fashion market, I salute you.

Arch Window Treatments January 16, 2011, 4:52 PM

Surfing the web, I found this webblog. I am researching for several ideas for a template for my own place. I this theme, did you produce or modify this template? I have a internet site also and my design seems to be kinda inferior so visitors do not stay on my site very long.

fizywelko January 22, 2011, 2:04 AM

Situation is nicely engrossed and it contains some echt things for me. I am willing to ascertain your awing way of writing the install. Now it beautify promiscuous for me to interpret and oblige the construct. Thanks for distribution the flier.

Sandee Mandia January 24, 2011, 6:09 PM

I’ve always been in adore with fashion all my life so I’ve created a forum for industry specialists to come together and discuss all things fashion. Again, thank you for writing this post.

Angla Faw January 25, 2011, 9:59 PM

Some truly great articles on this web site,thankyou for contribution.