Drinking Games for Kids!

Christine Bartsch: Can't keep your kid hydrated or get your toddler to drink their milk? It's time to use some college knowledge and get them guzzling like they're at a frat party.

girl drinking apple juice

The Classic Game: TV/Movie Drinking Games -- You know them, you've played them. Whether you take a drink for each missed step on "Dancing with the Stars" or toast each time a Real Housewife bares her claws, just flick on your TV and start sipping!

Kid Friendly Version -- Can't get junior to drink their milk at lunch or take a bite of their P.B. and J? Just modify the classic to their favorite program. They'll be taking a gulp each time Dora uses backpack in no time!

The Classic Game: Beer Pong -- Fill Plastic cups with beer, rack them up in billiard ball formation and start tossing ping-pong balls at them. Chug whichever beer your ball lands in until all the cups are empty.

Kid Friendly Version -- Fill those cups with juice and the same rules apply. Plus your kiddie will get some hand/eye coordination practice in too!

The Classic Game: Sink the Ship -- Get yourself a pitcher of beer and float a shot glass in it. Take turns pouring beer into the shot glass without overflowing it. Whoever sinks the glass slams the pitcher.

Kid Friendly Version -- Substitute shot glasses for tiny Tupperware containers and water for beer and you've got a great way to keep your kids hydrated on a warm day. Instead of having the sinker drink the pitcher, have them guzzle the rest of the water in their glass instead.

Don't worry about turning your kids into mini-lushes, without the alcohol, these games are no different than our parents using "open the hanger, here comes the airplane!" to get us to eat our dinner.

Momlogic wants to know -- what have you done to get your kids to drink their milk?

See Also:

Karaoke for Kindergarten!
Octuplets, Schmoctuplets!!
I Want My Kid to Be on 'American Idol'
Parenting the President

next: Last of Octuplets Released from Hospital
ICK April 14, 2009, 8:07 PM

I’m going to have to say that this is pathetic! Come on, if you can’t find other games and activities for your kids to do, then you must not be a good parent. This is something I would NEVER have my child do, all drinking games are aimed at alcohol. The Beer Pong game for kids is disgusting. Momlogic what is wrong with you? I swear, I don’t have a clue as to why you would think it’s ok to post crap on here.

lj April 15, 2009, 12:22 PM

I’m thinking ICK must have just skimmed over the material and straight to the comments.

While my children have never been the type to need a push to drink their milk, making a game of it would serve to help hydrate the little ones. Some parents may not know all the drinking games and these non-alcholic versions may just serve to inspire.

And I know I’m not momlogic.. but I’m going to reply to the last comment of ICK’s anyway. “I swear, I don’t have a clue as to why you would think it’s ok to post crap on here” Umm… cause it’s her website. Like it our lump it as my mom always said.

texas mom April 19, 2009, 5:46 PM

ick—-Oh please! give me a break! if it wasn’t already a beer game, you wouldn’t have a problem with it. change the name, forget that it’s a game that people like to play using beer, use a different kind of drink. and you’ll never know the difference.
hey i know—what if it’s wine pong? or milk pong? or oj pong? or kool-aide pong? or margarita pong? or tequilla pong?
i could go on and on and on.

its a great idea momlogic. kudos for thinking outside the box.

Michelle June 10, 2009, 12:35 PM

I’m with lj and texas mom. Seriously, relax a little will you ICK. The way to make sure your kids make good decisions in life and keep them on the right track it to talk to them, know who there friends are, where they’re going, just to name a few, playing a game to keep them hydrated in the summer is not going to make them binge drinkers. I think this is a great idea momlogic.

ccc August 5, 2009, 9:19 PM

satire, am i right?

Tom September 28, 2009, 7:33 PM

The fact that it is a drinking game matters. Get them used to something and it encourages the behavior. Using drinking games without alcohol on your children is a stupid idea. Would you let your child play with candy cigarettes as well?

Cyndi March 10, 2010, 7:41 AM

Oh. My. God. I am a drug/alcohol treatment counselor in a residential treatment program for 13-17 year old girls. My jaw just about hit the floor when I read this article. Are you kidding me?!?! This is EXACTLY the kind of mixed message that is almost certain to see your child playing the “adult” version of these games by high school! You can’t glorify and normalize behavior that is clearly related to a culture of alcohol abuse and then turn around a few years later and tell your children that the behavior they remember being taught as a kid is no longer acceptable.

Every day I see young teens (the majority of our clients are 14-16)whose lives have fallen to pieces because of alcohol. And our clients are no “experimental kids” - most of them have already had major legal troubles and/or been hospitalized due to drug or alcohol overdose. I PROMISE you - if you teach your kids drinking games as toddlers, they will be teaching those games to their friends by high school.

adeline March 25, 2010, 1:13 PM

oh everyone shut the hell up. no one here is suggesting that children should ever indulge in alcoholic beverages. and YES, tom, I would let my children play with candy cigarettes. they’re sticks of sugar. let me take one stab in the dark and say ALL of your children play at least one violent video game or watch ANY sort of television? does that mean you’re encouraging the habit of killing people and smoking cigarettes and cursing and wearing revealing clothing? look at your little hannah montana, she looks like a sixteen year old harlequin. take the steel rods out of your assholes and lighten up.

adeline March 25, 2010, 1:15 PM

and a word to the wise, Cyndi, they’re gonna be playing these games by 15 with beer whether or not they did it with milk as a toddler.