Easy Easter Side Dishes

Looking for some simple yet flavorful sides for your Easter meal? Chef and mom Susannah Locketti gives these classic veggies some fun and flavor for the holiday!

easter ham and sides

Momlogic's Susannah Locketti: Easter at my house is laid back, relaxed and traditional. We head to church in the morning, take part in an Easter egg hunt and then scurry on home to enjoy a traditional feast of ham, baked beans and, of course, veggies. I've been hearing from a lot of moms lately asking how they can spice up the traditional carrot, sweet potato and green beans for the holiday. Here are three simple recipes that will do just that ... no skill required!

Maple Brown Sugar Smashed Carrots

1 lb. carrots rinsed, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
Dash cinnamon
Salt & pepper

Boil carrots in salted water until soft, about ten minutes. Drain and add to a large bowl. Add syrup through spices and smash with a potato masher. Kids love these!

Twice Baked Coconut Sweet Potatoes

4 large sweet potatoes
1/3 cup lite coconut milk
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon sweetened flaked coconut
Salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Pierce the sweet potatoes with the tines of a fork and bake on the middle rack for 45 minutes to an hour.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Split the potatoes down the middle and carefully scrape out the filling leaving about ΒΌ" still attached to the skin. Place the filling in a bowl and add the coconut milk, sugar and spices. Mix thoroughly with a hand mixer and then place the filling back in the sweet potato. Sprinkle with the coconut and bake another 15-20 minutes until the filling is hot and the coconut becomes toasted.

Balsamic Glazed Green Beans

1 lb. green beans rinsed and trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
Crumbled goat cheese (optional)

Boil the green beans in salted water 3-5 minutes until bright green and slightly firm. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process. Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil and garlic. Saute the garlic for 1-2 minutes. Drain the green beans and then add them to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the top. Continually toss the green beans until the vinegar caramelizes to form a slight glaze on the green beans. These are really yummy topped with crumbled goat cheese.

next: What to Wear on Easter? This!
Anna April 10, 2009, 11:12 AM

MMMM…I’m going to try the sweet potatoe recipe. That sounds delicious!
My son refuses to eat vegetables unless it’s corn. Do you have a recipe for a vegetable drink that I can mix up in the blender and trick him into thinking it’s a frappe??

xyz April 10, 2009, 3:25 PM

What do you mean he refuses? How old is he? Maybe you should take control of the situation and let him know who the boss is. Its alot easier to do it when their young then to wait until he’s refusing to wear a seatbelt or go to school. Why are parents so afraid of their children these days? Get a backbone, he’s still going to love you and he might even respect you when he’s older….I promise!!! Happy easter.

xyz April 10, 2009, 3:29 PM

and Anna, corn is a starch, not a vegetable.

xyz April 10, 2009, 3:30 PM

and Anna, corn is a starch, not a vegetable.

Lyn April 10, 2009, 4:27 PM

WOW xyz - What a hard-assed approach to motherhood. I’m sorry for your kids. Please don’t judge unless you know the whole story. Lyn

xyz April 10, 2009, 7:35 PM

Oh no don’t be sorry for my kids Lyn. They need boundaries and structure. Its all good. I couldn’t function if I had a five year old and eight year old “refusing” to eat their veggies or take their medicine. Not everything in life tastes like a frappe. I figure the sooner they learn, the easier it’ll be. Health is a big concern of mine and a long term goal for my family. Whats so hard nosed (I think thats what you meant to say) about that?

pdq April 10, 2009, 10:02 PM

Oh Lyn, please don’t crticize hard nosed people unless you know their personality!!

Denise April 13, 2009, 12:00 PM

Finally got around to commenting on the green beans recipe…really good. My family isn’t a big fan of them typically, but they really enjoyed these and so I can make them again, knowing that they’ll get eaten up. Thanks Susannah.

Jen April 19, 2009, 7:44 AM

Never like asparagus as a child, teenager, or an adult. No matter how many times my mommy tried to get me to like them… sorry, I refused. And she still was the boss. If a kid doesn’t like veggies… oh well. Always encourage, but never force.

Freddie Langley April 30, 2009, 4:45 PM

xtbmcgu3jjqx2ifa

Zhhpvhun June 24, 2009, 11:52 PM

aIgGZR comment6 ,

Xyzhater March 21, 2010, 5:28 AM

Hope your kids arent as rude as you r

jayne March 25, 2010, 8:06 AM

Sounds great, love the recipes!