FEMA: Color Us Pissed!

One image in a FEMA coloring book made us see red.

Fema

A coloring book on the Federal Emergency Management Agency's website, designed to help children cope with disasters, seemed innocent enough.

But when we stumbled upon the illustration of the World Trade Center in flames, with a plane heading toward it, we were less than pleased.

We weren't the only ones who were disturbed. In fact, FEMA has even taken the image off its website. They also issued the following statement:

"We removed the content from our website after reviewing www.FEMA.gov for appropriate material. FEMA for kids assists children in understanding disasters and we will continue to post appropriate material that supports its mission," said John Shea with FEMA.

What do you think? Is 9/11 appropriate for a coloring book, or is this just wrong?

See Also:

next: Many Hundreds of Kids Sick, Possible Swine Flu
Nicole April 28, 2009, 11:00 PM

I like it. How else are kids going to learn about 9/11? I mean, should we be keeping 9/11 a secret from our kids? No. The picture isn’t very graphic. I don’t see a problem with it at all. I wish they would keep it because I would like to have it for my kids.

Amy April 28, 2009, 11:31 PM

I agree with Nicole - why do people have to raise such a hoopla about stuff like this? Moms, if you don’t want YOUR kids to see this, then don’t download it and give it to them! It’s not your mission in life to tell the rest of us how we should tell our children about 9/11.

I also do not see anything inappropriate - it’s clear the context of the page in question is to help children “cope” with disasters partially by telling them what it might be like. And the text on that page is absolutely correct.

Once again, political correctness has run amok.

chris April 29, 2009, 9:05 AM

I agree completely with Nicole and Amy. We as a country can not forget that this happened and I see nothing wrong with the pictures. Sometimes I get so confused by the way people react to something. I read the post from the racial mom who hopes that her 4 year old son turns out to be gay and so many people responded postitively to it but yet we have moms out there freakin out because their kids might learn something about our history…go figure.

Jeff April 30, 2009, 10:34 AM

This book is just another political indoctrination tool aimed at using fear to manipulate future generations. I’d like to see a coloring book about Katrina or the OK City bombing where children were killed at the daycare center there. Where are THOSE coloring books?

Thomas J Stevens MD May 3, 2009, 8:50 AM

Coloring books are for very young children. Ages three and four. They are not able to handle this type of information without creating unneccessary fears.
FEMA so far has been an expensive bad joke

Fhtjsfhf June 28, 2009, 6:01 PM

RzWn7q comment3 ,

MccoyMari May 27, 2010, 6:42 AM

When you’re in uncomfortable position and have got no cash to go out from that, you would have to receive the www.lowest-rate-loans.com. Just because it will help you emphatically. I take financial loan every year and feel fine just because of it.

Marry July 14, 2010, 12:51 AM

In every tom’s life, at some time, our inner pep goes out. It is then bust into passion at near an face with another hominoid being. We should all be thankful recompense those people who rekindle the inner inspiration

Bob July 14, 2010, 7:40 AM

I don’t like the sound of all those lists he’s making - it’s like taking too many notes at philosophy; you experience you’ve achieved something when you haven’t.

Mark August 16, 2010, 6:18 PM

In harry’s life, at some dated, our inner throw goes out. It is then bust into zeal at hand an contend with with another magnanimous being. We should all be thankful for the duration of those people who rekindle the inner spirit

free forum avatars September 1, 2010, 10:40 AM

Cool post cheers, found you through Bing.

Bloggosphere September 7, 2010, 10:18 AM

Adding to my bookmarks thanks, a good quick read.

funeral homes in Gary September 7, 2010, 8:44 PM

Uhh are you making this up? This post is some f-ed up sh*t kid. Ive met braindead chimpanzees who were smarter than you.

lawyer Toledo September 8, 2010, 12:40 AM

The layout of one’s blog is completely messed up when I look at it in Opera. Plz fix it.

desks September 15, 2010, 11:28 AM

This is a subject close to my heart cheers, found you through Bing.

lead management software September 16, 2010, 11:03 AM

I enjoyed seeing this, are you on twitter?

Charity Fundraising September 28, 2010, 7:10 AM

Wow this definitely takes me back, do you twitter?

forex signal September 29, 2010, 7:50 AM

This is a topic near to my heart thanks, are you on twitter?

car hire cape town October 3, 2010, 12:59 PM

Bookmarking now thanks, definitely consider a follow up post.

unistrut October 7, 2010, 3:42 AM

Cool entry cheers, a good quick read.