Gay Issues Websites Blocked at Schools

Jodi Bryson: Tennessee public schools are denying students access to websites that discuss LGBT issues.

young teen looking at gay issues website

Tennessee public schools are digging a mighty deep hole. Start with a Constitutional breach, add pro-American rhetoric, and top it off with plenty of gay sex and school children. Hey! Now they're up to their nosehairs in bad press, the attention of the Feds, and kids asking parents questions about issues far beyond their maturity levels. Good times.

We saw this story then did our own digging. What's up is public schools in the Knox County Schools and Metro Nashville Public Schools are filtering access to websites that discuss lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues. However they don't block access to sites that advocate therapy to, basically, learn how to not be gay, lesbian, bisexual or trans.

Certainly varying discrimination and filtering is going on all over the country, but the difference is those incidents aren't getting press. Call it Tennessee's lucky day. The world is watching as the school administrators blame their Internet filter service. And they might've gotten away with that humdinger if it weren't for those delightful gay-reparative websites the "filters" accidentally allow.

Oh, and then there's the black-and-white English clearly stating in the schools' contracts that the schools decide what to filter, not the Internet Service, which in this case is Education Networks of America. An attorney for ENA already handed both districts their asses in an immediate public response.

Hey, Tennessee school folk? It's not legal to mess with the Constitution, but it's definitely uncool to mess with the Constituion then try to blame someone else.

As we're barely off the heels of the gay marriage issue in America (Iowa Supreme Court and Vermont are about to approve gay marriage, and the California Supreme Court is about to make its ruling), the American Civil Liberties Union says this situation is viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment. The schools decided what to block, the choices were discriminatory, and those schools are so busted.

Filtering, by the way, is a less inflammatory way to say censoring. It was intentional that the impact of censorship on the Tennessee school children was not opinionated in this story. We leave that to you. Is Tennessee's filterning un-American? Or just uncool? And what does this mean to the kids?

Are you a lesbian or bi mom? Connect with others like you in our community.

next: Haleigh's Father Fired for Abandoning Job
Stainless Steel Pots And Pan November 30, 2010, 5:19 PM

dyocwup - Thank you, skbtnjq.

Wall Units Inc Orange Ca December 9, 2010, 11:55 AM

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Sweet Sixteen Invitation Wording Samples December 17, 2010, 9:58 AM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 4:12 PM

I’m impressed, I need to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your idea is excellent; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient persons are talking intelligently about. I am very pleased that I stumbled across this in my seek for something referring to this.

brown and blonde hair color ideas January 15, 2011, 2:06 AM

If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend.

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 3:05 PM

Have to let you know, I really had big fun at this webblog. i find it to be refreshing and incredibly informative. wish there were other websites like it. At any rate, I felt it was about time I commented, I will put your site on my blogroll. Thanks again for putting this up. I certainly enjoyed every bit of it.

Kenneth Galinol February 6, 2011, 7:15 AM

As a Newbie, I am constantly exploring online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

sposoby zarabiania w internecie March 15, 2011, 3:20 AM

This is a brilliant initiative. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

Willette Bissen March 16, 2011, 8:25 PM

wonderful account you accept

red dresses for women March 28, 2011, 8:12 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

do follow blogs March 29, 2011, 1:10 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Cassidy Vier March 29, 2011, 7:11 PM

I am continually invstigating online for ideas that can benefit me. Thx!

Elizabeth O. Monroe March 31, 2011, 3:39 AM

Exciting

George U. Burnette April 5, 2011, 7:03 AM

Hello, - found this website by accident when looking around the net this morning, and pleased that I did! I do like the structure and colors, but I need to mention that I’m having problems when it loads. I’m using iCab 4 internet browser for mac, and the side panel will not lineup the right way. i am fairly certain I have used precisely the same layout on a company’s website, but the menu seems alright on mine. I think the error is with my browser & perhaps it’s the perfect time to swap!

Ralph L. Oliver April 8, 2011, 8:28 AM

Intriguing

information artiklar April 9, 2011, 2:12 AM

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was searching for!

Robin L. Blanton April 9, 2011, 6:54 PM