Holly Says Amanda Peet is 'Fearmongering'

She sounds off about Amanda Peet's pro-vaccination stance, and says, "I would just ask her to give the respect she has on her position to mine."

holly robinson peete and amanda peet

As a parent of an autistic child, Holly Robinson Peete has been a staunch advocate for children living with the disease and their parents. Now, the actress, whose 11-year-old son developed autism after receiving vaccinations when he was just two-and-a-half years old, serves as the first African-American to sit on the board of Autism Speaks, an organization dedicated to increasing awareness and prevention of the disease. The activist and mother of four shares her thoughts with ESSENCE.com about comments made by actress Amanda Peet, the spokesperson for vaccinateyourbaby.org, who recently said that vaccinations don't cause autism:

I'm really disappointed to hear people like Amanda Peet -- who have never been affected by autism -- make public allegations like vaccinations don't cause autism. It makes me angry because it's so disingenuous to have this kind of public discussion, especially when World Autism Awareness Day is coming up on April 2. But I know exactly what she is trying to do and that's to instill fear: if your child doesn't get vaccinations, you're going to make every other child sick. Believe me, I understand both sides of the argument because I have four children. Although I have total respect for what any mother feels is best for her child, you can't tell me what is right, because it's not necessarily going to work for my kid. I know because I've experienced it with my eldest son.

When my son was two-and-a-half, he was just recovering from an ear infection and had been on antibiotics, therefore his immune system was suppressed. He had already missed several appointments for his vaccination so his pediatrician wanted to catch him up on all of them in the same day. Although I asked if he'd consider waiting or breaking up the cocktail, which contains three viruses, he laughed me out of the office and belittled me. I firmly believe that it took my son to a place of no return and his body could not handle it. He had a violent reaction with convulsions and then he stopped talking and slipped into a silence. He no longer said, "Hi, Mommy," he no longer responded to his name and he no longer made eye contact. And to think that today there are more than 30 vaccines that children are required to receive is scary. I don't know why boys are five times more likely to become autism, but they are.

I respect Amanda Peet for advocating for her children by trying to keep them safe with vaccines. If I could talk to Amanda Peet, I would say that, I'm glad your child was able to tolerate that level of toxicity, but don't expect me -- after witnessing what vaccinations did to my son -- to inoculate my other children under the same circumstances. So who's to blame? Is there some pre-genetic predisposition? Do genetic and environmental factors load the proverbial gun and the vaccines pull the trigger? Since you claim all the studies and conclusions have been drawn, how do you explain the thousands of families that have received millions of dollars from the Vaccine Injury Court? So clearly, the jury is not in and the independent studies on susceptibility and genetic predisposition have not been done.

Knowing all this, do you think it's okay to make a judgment about me based on what I know about my son and the rest of my children physiologically? If your mission is to gain the public's trust, then you're not going to get parents to do it by fearmongering. Until you've experienced the physical, emotional and financial toll you simply can't make such public statements.

Despite what happened to my son, I'm not anti-vaccine. However, if the government wants to make me and other parents who have autistic children feel comfortable with vaccinations then there needs to be some independent studies done regarding these treatments. Not only would it make me feel comfortable, but it'd make me feel like I'm being listened to and heard.

Lastly, to Amanda Peet: I would never ever wish what we've gone through in our family on her and her family or anybody. I would just ask her to give the respect she has on her position to mine. It's not about reading so-called studies online; it's about living and learning. My study is my son.

Want to connect with other moms of children with autism? Check out our community.

next: Worst Nightmare: Swapped At Birth
Science Mom May 22, 2009, 6:27 PM

@RACHEL TOO

There’s something called HERD IMMUNITY. When a sufficient number of people in the “herd” (your community) are immune to a particular disease, that disease ceases to show up in your vicinity.

However, no one has ever claimed that vaccines are 100% effective. They’re around 95% effective. That’s good, but for every 1000 kids who get their shots, that’s 50 kids who are still vulnerable to “your choice.” Then there are the kids who are either too young to be vaccinated, or they have health conditions that do not permit them to be vaccinated. Their safety is at the mercy of herd immunity.

So unless you plan on keeping your unvaccinated children hermetically sealed for life, then your choice still has an impact on other people around you.

For those of you who have been in America since the Mayflower, you’re lucky. As an immigrant and a scientist, I have seen the damage done by vaccine preventable diseases. I have seen kids who have had polio, bent and crippled by the disease, in the streets begging for scraps. That’s the best they can do.

And are my kids vaccinated? Yes. After all, I want them to be safe, and I want them to be able to visit their grandparents.

AlexKenas March 23, 2010, 12:29 PM

The problem with autism awareness is that it has turned to mindless celebrity gossip and vaccine controversies. Instead, it should be focused on making sure that autistic individuals reach our unbridled potential and get the services that we require. People like Jenny McCarthy are not good role models for parents of autistic children. They are arrogant, ignorant, and only care about publicity like the useless celebrities that they are. I am autistic and I don’t give a damn about vaccines either way. I cannot trust the medical establishment because its research will eventually lead to a prenatal genocide of autistic individuals. At the same time, I dispise groups like Generation Rescue and Defeat Autism Now becuase they dehumanize autistics so that parents of autistic children give in to emotion and pay for their expensive services. Doctor Temple Grandin said that if she could press a button that would make her neurotypical, she would not press it, and she is moderately-to-severely autistic. To cure an autistic individual of autism would be robbing him or her of their own unique character.

ShlC May 18, 2010, 10:19 AM

While I understand and empathize with Holly, her son’s example contains too me variables, which make it unfair to say vaccinations were the deciding factor: he was just recovering from an ear infection, he had been on antibiotics, his immune system was suppressed, he had already missed several appointments, and he received all of them in the same day.

Dr. Will August 8, 2010, 10:30 AM

as high as seventy eight percent of parents of autistic children believe that immunizations caused the malady. I as a parent have trouble thinking that they are wrong.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 5:17 PM

I really like your site. Thanks so much, finally a decent website with good information in it.

Jim Darbysay November 28, 2010, 8:34 AM

Vaccination does not cause autism period.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:35 PM

I loved what youve done here. The design is elegant, your content classy. Yet, youve got an edginess to what youre offering here. Ill definitely come back for more if you keep this up. Dont lose hope if not too many people see your vision, know youve got a fan right here who values what youve got to say and the way youve presented yourself. Good on you!

Evelyn Wall December 28, 2010, 4:12 PM

I saw something about that subject on TV last night. Nice post.

Larissa Hersch December 30, 2010, 9:03 AM

I wanted to say this blog is almost amazing. I always like to read something new about this because I have the similar blog in my Country on this subject so this help´s me a lot. I did a search on the theme and found a good number of blogs but nothing like this.Thanks for sharing so much in your blog.. Greets, Larissa Hersch

dieta anului 2010 January 3, 2011, 2:30 PM

I was beeing trying to find the Web for such information and just wanted to thank u for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 7:45 PM

Good site! Enjoyable and fun reading. I just have a opinion to offer about tee shirts.

Przeprowadzki Warszawa January 11, 2011, 5:01 AM

Simply you are the best!

fraxel podlaskie  January 13, 2011, 10:02 AM

Thank you for posting this! :)

systemy ociepleń January 14, 2011, 5:29 PM

I WAIT FOR YOUR ARTICLE.

odzież robocza ochronna January 18, 2011, 6:39 AM

I wish this article would never end.

hurtownia elektryczna January 21, 2011, 2:13 AM

The new article is going to be awesome!

Przeprowadzki Warszawa January 24, 2011, 4:41 AM

This is really interesting.

Randi Cutsforth January 25, 2011, 9:59 PM

Some genuinely excellent articles on this site,regards for contribution.

cheap mini blinds January 27, 2011, 6:28 PM

Just had to tell you, I really had great fun at this place. i find it to be refreshing and incredibly enlightening. wish there were more blogs like it. Anyhow, I felt it was about time I let you know, I am putting your website on my link roll. Thanks once more for sharing this online. I unquestionably loved every bit of it.

Geraldo Hyland February 11, 2011, 5:05 AM

Definitely, what a splendid website and enlightening posts, I will bookmark your website.Have an awsome day!