I Ate My Baby's Placenta!

Here's why.

Sandwhich

The practice of placentophagia, eating the placenta, is practiced in many parts of the world, and is said to stem postpartum depression and help to contract the uterus after the birth.

After Chrissy Schilling had her first baby over the weekend, her twin sister Kathy cooked up the placenta and they had a feast. They put it on pasta and on a sandwich. They even put pictures of the meal on Facebook!

Sure, some people thought it was gross -- but that didn't deter the sisters. "I think people being grossed out by this is mostly just 'fear of the unknown,'" Kathy says. "It's the same sort of reaction people have when it even comes to the cuisine of other cultures--what's normal in another culture can seem repulsive to one's own. Happens all the time! Most of the Western world can't even fathom having duck head on the menu, but it doesn't make the food any less acceptable as a meal."

She continues: "When Chrissy first brought up the idea about cooking the placenta, I looked around online and found the most inspiring article about it. The writer's attitude was just all-around positive and even a little playful about the subject, and I thought, 'Hey, this isn't such a big deal after all!' Other medical/health articles about placenta-eating shared the same general consensus--as long as the mother is good and healthy, no harm can come from eating the placenta."

What does she say to the haters? "I think the fact that the placenta is unquestionably attached to the concept of 'baby' (and who doesn't like a cute baby?) probably makes people take the matter personally and forget to look at it more objectively," she says. "The placenta became a simple piece of meat for cooking. And no babies were harmed in the process. That's my take on it."

What are their thoughts on the "meal" itself?

Twin sister Kathy says:

I would say that the placenta is so nourishing for the baby during pregnancy that there is still much to gain from it even after the birth. It's a good 6 lbs of meat that's just chock full of lingering blood, vitamins, and hormones that can still in part be transferred upon eating -- even through cooking. When I cooked it, I cleaned the surface blood off of it, but kept anything that seaped out of it into the sauce. I know I was feeling pretty giddy while eating, so maybe that was some of the happy hormones effects taking place.

The "recipe" was pretty simple, but preparation was very fun! First, I washed off any clots and snipped/tore away the membrane. Websites suggested this, and I imagine it's because it'd be chewy. The umbilical cord required a pair of scissors to cut through and I had to marvel at how incredible tough that piece was! After it was pretty clean, I sliced it into bite-size chunks, and cooked it with the basic ingredients I mentioned on my Facebook album. The taste of the meat itself was surprisingly tasteful (I thought it'd be bland, but it absorbed the flavors of the ingredients very well). It wasn't TOUGH, but not sloppy either. Just the right kind of texture that I like.

New mom Chrissy says:

The placenta is such an amazing organ in all its done for my baby that it didn't seem right to simply throw it away. My thought was "being the only organ that the human body makes that naturally exits the body, why not take advantage of it?"

By taking it in again, it was symbolic for me as a way to truly say "good-bye" to my 9-month pregnancy and "hello" to an exciting (albeit challenging) new chapter in my life. While eating it, I thought a lot about what my pregnancy had demanded of me all those months -- how careful I'd been in my diet, trying to give my body and baby only the best, how I practiced relaxation techniques to encourage a stress-free environment for my baby in her internal world, and how all that careful attention had resulted in this healthy organ and subsequently healthy baby girl.

Physiologically speaking, the placenta is still so rich in iron and hormones even after it's shed that I knew it'd help me in my immediate recovery from my long labor (24 hours). And it did! My daughter was born at 10:34pm, so it was far too late to eat the placenta that night--I was exhausted as was my sister (the chef). So we froze it and ended up eating it two days later for dinner. The energy levels I had before and after the consumption were immediately noticible to me. The first 24 hours after my daughter's birth, I would nurse on the move around the apartment, showing her around, but would have to take frequent breaks to sit because of how light-headed I felt. But after that second night, with a belly full of placenta, those dizzy spells completely vanished! Also, that same night my milk came in--pretty soon comparatively speaking--and I like to think that can be attributed to that extra burst of nutrients I got...all from something I completely manufactured from scratch!

They say it also helps with abating postpartum depression and though it may be too soon to tell, I feel like I'm on Cloud 9 and have the feeling it's going to stay like that!

What do you think about eating the placenta? Did you eat yours?

next: Baby Born from 21-Year-Old Sperm
LisaL April 10, 2009, 1:06 PM

Tara…. *yawn* Yes yes, you’re so much more cultured than the rest of us losers right?
What makes you think YOUR opinion is any better than others?
How about you just go back up on that high horse of yours and let all of us commoners say our opinion in peace.. MmKay?

Lexy April 10, 2009, 1:23 PM

I would not do this myself. I think that if it is indeed nourishing and healthy…why not? People eat soo many other things around the world, why not their own placenta? I agree it seems gross but, dont judge these people who choose to do it! If the pics are soo revolting, then dont look! TO each their own! Have an opinion, but dont judge! You are not god!

Dear God Almighty April 10, 2009, 1:25 PM

WRONG
NO NO NO

Cleo April 10, 2009, 1:50 PM

How is this NOT eating human flesh? So disgusting. Yes animals usually eat the placenta, but we are not animals. SO NASTY!

obsurd April 10, 2009, 1:56 PM

reply @Kay:

Hey, We humans have been eating meat since the dawn of time! Get over it! What isn’t normal, or common, or accepted in society is women eating their own placenta! that is nasty. We have become used to, and with reason, seeing raw meat in the stores. It’s life. It will never change. So you can stay vegetarian, but it won’t change the fact that it is disgusting and disturbing to see a plateful of placenta sandwich (GAG) on here or anywhere else. I say to you, if you don’t like to see raw meat, then why do YOU go to the store where they sell it? Or better yet, don’t watch T.V AT ALL, because God Forbid you might become offended of all the fast food commercials of the juicy, greasy meat patties cooking on the grill. Now how ignorant does THAT sound? ABout as ignorant as your statement that we should just be able to take it in stride looking at that disgusting human tissue that is served as a meal. (GAG GAG GAG) choke on that and tell me how it tastes.

QueenB April 10, 2009, 1:58 PM

I am still stifling the urge to vomit. Eating a human organ is cannibalism…DISGUSTING. They detailed and joyous way the process of preparation and consumption was described was more horrific than the photos. If you want to do something that “special” to a placenta, bury it under a rosebush or something, but my gosh! don’t resort to cannibalism!

Ash April 10, 2009, 2:05 PM

It’s pretty hilarious watching people flip the hell out over it. I’m pretty easily disgusted and this didn’t even faze me one bit. This is something that depends on how you’re wired, I guess.

Makes me kinda hungry for a good meatball sandwich, though.

Just sayin’.

eatMeat_notHumanWaste April 10, 2009, 2:05 PM

no shi*. we don’t see animals eat each other. not all animal’s consume their placenta also. There is no proof or reason necessary to eat your own placenta. It is about as usful as eating your own mense’s. Now to those stupid women who have said it’s not gross, but they wouldn’t do it themselves….I say your full of s*it. You can dish it but you can’t take it!?
Give me a break. This is a form of cannibalism, no matter how much you try to downplay it or re name it. I don’t see anyone else on here saying they did it themselves. ALso…Why the twin sister? That is just disturbing!

LOLs April 10, 2009, 2:08 PM

Ash, then you must be pretty strange to begin with. “just sayin’”

eatMeat_notHumanWaste April 10, 2009, 2:11 PM

Correction! We don’t see many (if all) animals eat each other in their own species is what I meant to say. Oh, and yes, I’d say your pretty “wired”, Ash.

eatMeat_notHumanWaste April 10, 2009, 2:12 PM

Sara April 10, 2009, 2:29 PM

Interesting article, but for the love of God, take the pictures OFF!!! It is by far one of the sickest things I’ve ever seen. It’s one thing to read about it but we do not have to SEE it!

Blu April 10, 2009, 3:01 PM

to eats ones own placenta is ok i guess..but someone else eating your placenta feels like cannabalism…this lady goes on about eating her sister’s blood!

LaVern April 10, 2009, 3:04 PM

“Circumcision….we cant let this go to waste! Hun get a fork!”

aerialla April 10, 2009, 3:04 PM

I think I would have done it for both of my daughter’s placenta’s if I had known such a thing was possible. I do admit that the pictures are gross.

Linn April 10, 2009, 3:04 PM

So this is one piece of meat that came to be eaten with zero violence or death involved, and everyone is grossed out. Funny.

I find placenta eating icky and would probably not do it myself, but it doesn’t hurt anyone if these Chrissy and Cathy and others did it.

Sparkina April 10, 2009, 3:06 PM

I wouldn’t do it myself, but if other people want to do it, it’s their thing and their business. If I had a child, I would bury the placenta in my yard and plant a tree or a garden over it and dedicate that tree or garden to my child.

BirthControlIzGood4U April 10, 2009, 3:17 PM

Is the world so g*ddamn baby crazy that this is what it’s come to? I love pregnancy/motherhood/my baby so much that I ate my own placenta? Sounds like these moms have really gone off the deep end right into the pool of crazy!

Mom of 2 April 10, 2009, 3:36 PM

Hmmm. I’m not easily grossed out, and this doesn’t gross me out, either. I don’t think *I* could do it, but whatever — go for it. I think it’s kind of weird but not horrific or immoral or anything — sort of on the level of eating brains: some folks love them and others are repulsed. As an aside, my Lamaze teacher asked for and received the placentas for each of her three children and the family planted a tree for each child, using the placenta as fertilizer. Again, seems oddball but not abhorrent.

kai April 10, 2009, 3:55 PM

okay so i think what these 2 chicks did is gross but i also think letting ur kids eat fast food is unhealthy and gross i think spouse swapping and people that don’t use deodorant is gross and most of all i think the insane octomom/dog with the 14 kids is freaking ewwwww gross i call her a dog because having that many kids at once is some dog type behavior anyway the point is it’s my opinion that’s it that’s all everyone’s got one it doesn’t make what they did wrong we just don’t agree. and actually i was going to mamma d’s for dinner tonight but after that picture with the pasta i think i’ll pass whew i’d love to see these 2 heffa’s on fear factor they’d win hands down. SOOO YUCKIE BUT TO EACH HIS OWN RIGHT?