I Ate My Baby's Placenta!

Here's why.

Sandwhich

The practice of placentophagia, eating the placenta, is practiced in many parts of the world, and is said to stem postpartum depression and help to contract the uterus after the birth.

After Chrissy Schilling had her first baby over the weekend, her twin sister Kathy cooked up the placenta and they had a feast. They put it on pasta and on a sandwich. They even put pictures of the meal on Facebook!

Sure, some people thought it was gross -- but that didn't deter the sisters. "I think people being grossed out by this is mostly just 'fear of the unknown,'" Kathy says. "It's the same sort of reaction people have when it even comes to the cuisine of other cultures--what's normal in another culture can seem repulsive to one's own. Happens all the time! Most of the Western world can't even fathom having duck head on the menu, but it doesn't make the food any less acceptable as a meal."

She continues: "When Chrissy first brought up the idea about cooking the placenta, I looked around online and found the most inspiring article about it. The writer's attitude was just all-around positive and even a little playful about the subject, and I thought, 'Hey, this isn't such a big deal after all!' Other medical/health articles about placenta-eating shared the same general consensus--as long as the mother is good and healthy, no harm can come from eating the placenta."

What does she say to the haters? "I think the fact that the placenta is unquestionably attached to the concept of 'baby' (and who doesn't like a cute baby?) probably makes people take the matter personally and forget to look at it more objectively," she says. "The placenta became a simple piece of meat for cooking. And no babies were harmed in the process. That's my take on it."

What are their thoughts on the "meal" itself?

Twin sister Kathy says:

I would say that the placenta is so nourishing for the baby during pregnancy that there is still much to gain from it even after the birth. It's a good 6 lbs of meat that's just chock full of lingering blood, vitamins, and hormones that can still in part be transferred upon eating -- even through cooking. When I cooked it, I cleaned the surface blood off of it, but kept anything that seaped out of it into the sauce. I know I was feeling pretty giddy while eating, so maybe that was some of the happy hormones effects taking place.

The "recipe" was pretty simple, but preparation was very fun! First, I washed off any clots and snipped/tore away the membrane. Websites suggested this, and I imagine it's because it'd be chewy. The umbilical cord required a pair of scissors to cut through and I had to marvel at how incredible tough that piece was! After it was pretty clean, I sliced it into bite-size chunks, and cooked it with the basic ingredients I mentioned on my Facebook album. The taste of the meat itself was surprisingly tasteful (I thought it'd be bland, but it absorbed the flavors of the ingredients very well). It wasn't TOUGH, but not sloppy either. Just the right kind of texture that I like.

New mom Chrissy says:

The placenta is such an amazing organ in all its done for my baby that it didn't seem right to simply throw it away. My thought was "being the only organ that the human body makes that naturally exits the body, why not take advantage of it?"

By taking it in again, it was symbolic for me as a way to truly say "good-bye" to my 9-month pregnancy and "hello" to an exciting (albeit challenging) new chapter in my life. While eating it, I thought a lot about what my pregnancy had demanded of me all those months -- how careful I'd been in my diet, trying to give my body and baby only the best, how I practiced relaxation techniques to encourage a stress-free environment for my baby in her internal world, and how all that careful attention had resulted in this healthy organ and subsequently healthy baby girl.

Physiologically speaking, the placenta is still so rich in iron and hormones even after it's shed that I knew it'd help me in my immediate recovery from my long labor (24 hours). And it did! My daughter was born at 10:34pm, so it was far too late to eat the placenta that night--I was exhausted as was my sister (the chef). So we froze it and ended up eating it two days later for dinner. The energy levels I had before and after the consumption were immediately noticible to me. The first 24 hours after my daughter's birth, I would nurse on the move around the apartment, showing her around, but would have to take frequent breaks to sit because of how light-headed I felt. But after that second night, with a belly full of placenta, those dizzy spells completely vanished! Also, that same night my milk came in--pretty soon comparatively speaking--and I like to think that can be attributed to that extra burst of nutrients I got...all from something I completely manufactured from scratch!

They say it also helps with abating postpartum depression and though it may be too soon to tell, I feel like I'm on Cloud 9 and have the feeling it's going to stay like that!

What do you think about eating the placenta? Did you eat yours?

next: Baby Born from 21-Year-Old Sperm
Mickie April 11, 2009, 11:48 AM

This is a tradition known as placentaphagy. On a personal level, I find it strange and hard to fathom. As others have mentioned, the placenta and umbilical cord can be valuable for scientific purposes.

HURL April 11, 2009, 11:55 AM

And they used egg noodles too…YARD

BLEEEEEGGGHHH April 11, 2009, 2:10 PM

You people are SICK.

You were feeling “giddy” while eating it? Freakin’ wierdos!

Oh my god, this is one of the most disgusting things I have ever heard of!

What’s for dessert? FECES ON FOCOCCIA?

PUKE!

Queenie April 11, 2009, 2:18 PM

wow….its natural….that is not cannibalism in the least!!

As stomach churning as I personally find the thought of eating the placenta, its still very natural.

get over it haha

Jason April 11, 2009, 5:34 PM

I think it is beautiful! Most people are so far away
from any natural behavior that they mix up everything. Just somebody eats the placenta from her own body doesn’t mean she’s a cannibal, instead it shows that she has a healthy natural relationship with her body. Common people are so disgusted from their own bodies they even don’t enjoy seeing themselves. A placenta is not to compare with feces, the “meat” that almost anybody buys in supermarkets is much closer to that. Of course if you eat all this kind of plastic-s…-food during pregnancy i wouldn’t recommend eating the placenta, but if you eat healthy, natural, organic food what could there be wrong with it? It seams some people have really twisted, closed minds by media and other (mind)-control mechanisms. I wish I would have had the idea myself when our daughter was born. Next time I will propose it to my wife. Please let people do what they want to do without judging them, as long as they don’t do harmful things to others! Eating mass-produced meat from bio-industry does much more harm to all of us then eating your own placenta!

Barf!!! April 11, 2009, 7:06 PM

This would be considered canibalism to me. That was a part of the human body and other people ate it! If it was just the mother that different but other people to NASTY!

Barf!!! April 11, 2009, 7:07 PM

j April 11, 2009, 8:08 PM

Meh. Humans eat the fecal tract of another animal in eating sausages. This isn’t appetizing to me but if properly cleaned I don’t see any harm. Humans are too soft about what they eat (especially in the US). Waste not want not.

Dels April 12, 2009, 1:31 AM

I tried to keep read with an open mind, I really really tried. But eww, so the placenta is an organ that exits the body naturally. Well all i keep thinking is doesnt it exit the body again after u eat it in feces, ugh, what then, recycle?

Tessa April 12, 2009, 3:08 AM

This is cannibalism, no matter how many pepole in the world do it. It’s a human organ. They’re eating it. That’s cannibalism last time I checked. GROSS.

Linda April 12, 2009, 1:08 PM

THIS ARTICLE IS GETTING A LOT OF BUZZ!

“AMY VS. JOHN” DID A WHOLE COMMENTARY ON IT HERE:

I AGREE WITH THEM!!!

RMX April 12, 2009, 6:31 PM

If these were guys I’d hear “That’s so immature”;but alas, these aren’t guys!?
Honestly folks it seems some ladies are on a quest to outdo one another,more babies at one time,eating their own inards what next,the first woman to eat her young as a sign of power of motherhood?
It’s bad enough out there with women like octomom and now the woman behind the sandra cantu nightmare.

mushi April 13, 2009, 1:55 AM

All you people that are so grossed out make me laugh. Grow up already, there’s placenta extract in many shampoos out there, and most of you don’t even know which brand has it, does that mean you stop using your ‘beauty’ products to make yourselves ‘pretty’ and socially ‘acceptable?’ Yes you are free to have your own two cents, so do those two ladies, and you also have the freedom to walk away from something you can’t stomach.

If you think eating a piece of meat that fed your baby before she/he was born, is gross, why do you eat meat at all? The cows and pigs and chickens all breathe, they have big watery eyes, they have feelings too you know?

Michael D. Houst April 13, 2009, 1:08 PM

Actually, the placenta is not the mother’s organ; it’s the baby’s.

The revulsion people express about consuming it is purely cultural. Any military member who’s been through the escape and evasion course knows about food aversions and can stomach eating just about anything.

You can probably run a placenta through a food grinder, mix it with ground beef into a tomato sauce and serve over pasta. Odds are, unless you told the consumers what it was in advance, they’d never know what they ate.

Kind of surprised the PETAphiles aren’t promoting placenta; no animals were killed to produce the protein.

F this April 13, 2009, 3:07 PM

Gross hippies. Seriously, these women are revolting beyond belief.

Wow April 13, 2009, 6:26 PM

Never met so many experts on what constitutes cannibalism in my LIFE. Gotta get me one of them there Expert In Cannibalism Degrees. Anyone know where I can find one? Cracker Jack box maybe?

BrY April 13, 2009, 7:48 PM

FYI, Chinese people eat the placenta, and not just that. Theres a black market for aborted fetuses. They eat the head also, since its still soft. Its like the key to eternal youth. I have yet to try it. But certainly will, when I don’t look as youthful as I already do. The best way to make it is by wrapping the meat into dumplings. How scrumptious. Just dip it into some chinese vinegar and you can’t even think twice. Cheers.

jaede April 13, 2009, 9:30 PM

You know whats funny? Animals eat the placenta, the sack and everything else. They aren’t considered cannibals its just a natural occurance. Have an open mind people.

tanyetta April 14, 2009, 1:12 AM

NO NO NO NO!
————————-

What do you think about eating the placenta?

Did you eat yours?

Amanda April 14, 2009, 3:47 PM

In the state of Nebraska, it is illegal to remove the placenta from the hospital. Because it is biohazardous material, which makes pretty good sense. And, it doesn’t make things easier that these were sisters sharing the placenta. It’s still an organ, that was in a body at one time, and it shouldn’t be eaten. I don’t care how “natural” that is, it’s something that helped my baby to grow. Would I eat the umbilical cord? No. Eat my uterus? No. Eat a fallopian tube? No.