I Ate My Baby's Placenta!

Here's why.

Sandwhich

The practice of placentophagia, eating the placenta, is practiced in many parts of the world, and is said to stem postpartum depression and help to contract the uterus after the birth.

After Chrissy Schilling had her first baby over the weekend, her twin sister Kathy cooked up the placenta and they had a feast. They put it on pasta and on a sandwich. They even put pictures of the meal on Facebook!

Sure, some people thought it was gross -- but that didn't deter the sisters. "I think people being grossed out by this is mostly just 'fear of the unknown,'" Kathy says. "It's the same sort of reaction people have when it even comes to the cuisine of other cultures--what's normal in another culture can seem repulsive to one's own. Happens all the time! Most of the Western world can't even fathom having duck head on the menu, but it doesn't make the food any less acceptable as a meal."

She continues: "When Chrissy first brought up the idea about cooking the placenta, I looked around online and found the most inspiring article about it. The writer's attitude was just all-around positive and even a little playful about the subject, and I thought, 'Hey, this isn't such a big deal after all!' Other medical/health articles about placenta-eating shared the same general consensus--as long as the mother is good and healthy, no harm can come from eating the placenta."

What does she say to the haters? "I think the fact that the placenta is unquestionably attached to the concept of 'baby' (and who doesn't like a cute baby?) probably makes people take the matter personally and forget to look at it more objectively," she says. "The placenta became a simple piece of meat for cooking. And no babies were harmed in the process. That's my take on it."

What are their thoughts on the "meal" itself?

Twin sister Kathy says:

I would say that the placenta is so nourishing for the baby during pregnancy that there is still much to gain from it even after the birth. It's a good 6 lbs of meat that's just chock full of lingering blood, vitamins, and hormones that can still in part be transferred upon eating -- even through cooking. When I cooked it, I cleaned the surface blood off of it, but kept anything that seaped out of it into the sauce. I know I was feeling pretty giddy while eating, so maybe that was some of the happy hormones effects taking place.

The "recipe" was pretty simple, but preparation was very fun! First, I washed off any clots and snipped/tore away the membrane. Websites suggested this, and I imagine it's because it'd be chewy. The umbilical cord required a pair of scissors to cut through and I had to marvel at how incredible tough that piece was! After it was pretty clean, I sliced it into bite-size chunks, and cooked it with the basic ingredients I mentioned on my Facebook album. The taste of the meat itself was surprisingly tasteful (I thought it'd be bland, but it absorbed the flavors of the ingredients very well). It wasn't TOUGH, but not sloppy either. Just the right kind of texture that I like.

New mom Chrissy says:

The placenta is such an amazing organ in all its done for my baby that it didn't seem right to simply throw it away. My thought was "being the only organ that the human body makes that naturally exits the body, why not take advantage of it?"

By taking it in again, it was symbolic for me as a way to truly say "good-bye" to my 9-month pregnancy and "hello" to an exciting (albeit challenging) new chapter in my life. While eating it, I thought a lot about what my pregnancy had demanded of me all those months -- how careful I'd been in my diet, trying to give my body and baby only the best, how I practiced relaxation techniques to encourage a stress-free environment for my baby in her internal world, and how all that careful attention had resulted in this healthy organ and subsequently healthy baby girl.

Physiologically speaking, the placenta is still so rich in iron and hormones even after it's shed that I knew it'd help me in my immediate recovery from my long labor (24 hours). And it did! My daughter was born at 10:34pm, so it was far too late to eat the placenta that night--I was exhausted as was my sister (the chef). So we froze it and ended up eating it two days later for dinner. The energy levels I had before and after the consumption were immediately noticible to me. The first 24 hours after my daughter's birth, I would nurse on the move around the apartment, showing her around, but would have to take frequent breaks to sit because of how light-headed I felt. But after that second night, with a belly full of placenta, those dizzy spells completely vanished! Also, that same night my milk came in--pretty soon comparatively speaking--and I like to think that can be attributed to that extra burst of nutrients I got...all from something I completely manufactured from scratch!

They say it also helps with abating postpartum depression and though it may be too soon to tell, I feel like I'm on Cloud 9 and have the feeling it's going to stay like that!

What do you think about eating the placenta? Did you eat yours?

next: Baby Born from 21-Year-Old Sperm
gail April 14, 2009, 6:27 PM

I have a high gross-out limit, but this takes the cake. Why stop with eating placenta? What about other matter that the body sloughs off? Dead skin, toenails, scabs, mucus…the possibilities are endless!

Anonymous April 14, 2009, 11:59 PM

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM ^_^

firstd April 15, 2009, 12:18 AM

I delivered my 3rd dd at home and the midwife did ask If I was planning on eating it!!! I almost fainted! GROSS!!! I did have to put it in my freezer as the midwife could not take it back to her office because of the human blood or something like that. I put it in my freezer till I had my 6 week check up in her office and she then took it over to the hospital across the street the next time she went over.

Anonymous April 15, 2009, 2:29 PM

Disgusting! Only animals do that! Have we’ve gone so far back on the evolutionary ladder? What’s next? Eating the weak/dead child at birth?

DISGUSTED

jw April 16, 2009, 5:13 PM

This is really disturbing. This is about as close to cannibalism as you can be without killing someone to eat them. Gross!

Tara April 17, 2009, 7:48 AM

Thanks for sharing, even though there is no way i could do it, I see nothing wrong with it if you chose to do so. Glad you are feeling so good after having your baby. Does the placenta help you function on little sleep? Now that would be useful!

JB April 18, 2009, 2:41 AM

You know what’s gross? It’s people’s closed minds and inability to comprehend that something outside their realm of experience could be beneficial. I have never heard of this idea, but I applaud you doing it, and hope more try it. So much of our “health” ideas are formed from corrupt corporations and science who don’t have our best interests in mind.

TC April 18, 2009, 9:26 AM

Face it lady, you wanted to experience cannibalism and that is the end of the story. Your sister had no reason to worry about postpartum depression nor had a need to ingest the placenta. Somewhere along the line your gene pool became a cesspool. What a sorry family to be bred into. You have the same mental issue as this person. Don’t kid yourself, lady. You’re two peas in a pod, just chewing on different parts. Your justification might be opposite of why you do what you do, but the end result is still the same - eating yourself. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2004/sep/15/features.stuartjeffries

KHA April 18, 2009, 11:21 AM

JUST BREEZING THRU SHOWING SOME LOVE GOD BLESS YOUR BOY KHA
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/FULLYFOCUSENT

mercaties April 19, 2009, 12:31 AM

I’m sorry I know in some parts of the world this is normal but in our country it is not. I literally and I’m being totally serious almost threw up reading this story and looking and theses pictures and I’m a mom so I’m used to gross stuff. Also, was this a home birth I’m really surprised that a hospital would let them leave with human tissue??

Anonymous April 20, 2009, 11:16 AM

This article got me thinking, I have and extra kidney, a testicle and an apendix that I can spare. Who needs two? In a pinch I can probably make a killer stir fry. Come to think of it, I have some extra blood too. Why not drain a few pints as a base for a stew.

There’s a lot that other cultures do differently and it’s usually out of necessity or related to some ancient religious practice. Since these women enjoy exotic cultural experiences perhaps they should try female genital mutilation, I hear it’s also a commonly accepted practice in other parts of the world. Good luck ladies.

Lori April 20, 2009, 5:28 PM

It’s ok. I liked the idea of people eating my body after I died (if it wasn’t diseased) so I could be incorporated in my friends, and give them one last good meal. But it’s probably illegal…
They were choosing parts. For fun?

Daylilly April 21, 2009, 8:22 AM

so next time whats on the menu? a human liver? heart? brain? people eat those types of organs from other animals so why dont YOU try a humans….
DISCUSTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

i can just imagine humans chasing humans around cause they want to eat there organs…..

what has this world come too….

you two are sick…..well if guys ever go hungry you know you can feed off of each other…..

nasty people……

disturbedinvt April 21, 2009, 11:20 AM

It is not natural to eat anything that comes out of your own body.. you don’t take a poop and say “there’s lunch”, you don’t have your period and make a bloody mary mix, you wouldn’t serve your own kidney in a kidney pie… If you can’t find a normal way, other than eating something, that was previously inside of you, than I think your issues are larger than one might first assume..

disturbedinvt April 21, 2009, 11:28 AM

I meant, If you can’t find another way to be healthy, than your issues are larger than ones might first assume..

mom in sac April 21, 2009, 2:47 PM

Uh, “it’s just like eating a piece of meat”. Did she really say that? It’s a piece of meat that came out of your vagina….I make it a rule never to eat anything that comes out of my vagina!

Anonymous April 23, 2009, 2:01 AM

You guys are really warped in your heads!Your sickning.:( Disgusting.Grow up!!!

Lapurr April 23, 2009, 3:51 AM

Why wouldnt you leave it to Science?
The placenta is used for Burn victims, I can’t even imagine making a meal out of it!!
you people are sick in the head!

Bogdan I. April 24, 2009, 6:46 PM

Hey Everyone……I’m planning a Placenta Party for one of my friends. We will be making Placenta Spaghetti Bolognaise!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone want the recipe?

Bogdan I.

Kristen April 25, 2009, 12:23 AM

I think you are both sick. Yes, you carry your child in side of you, but I would hope you would not eat them. You make me SICK! You should remove this, and maybe be shot for the nasty things you post!