"I Was Investigated for Child Abuse"

I've lived every parent's worst nightmare: I was investigated for child abuse.

mother and child

Guest blogger Janice: It all started at a routine doctor's appointment when our pediatrician noticed that our four-month-old son's head circumference was measuring abnormally large. A brain MRI performed a few weeks later showed something perplexing and scary: a hairline skull fracture and accompanying brain bleed. While my husband and I had lots of questions for the doctors, we were not at all prepared for the first question that was asked of us: "Did you shake or hurt your baby?"

Despite fiercely denying ever hurting my son, the fact of the matter was that I couldn't explain the injury. My son had never rolled off a bed, been bumped in a doorway, or been left with a babysitter. In fact, he had never been out of my immediate care since he was born.

The physician was sympathetic to our story but told us that the nature of my son's injuries forced her to take certain measures, which included referring us to the hospital's child abuse prevention team and Child Protective Services. I won't burden you with all the sordid details, but to make a long story short, we found ourselves unwittingly and instantly bound up in bureaucratic red tape. Being formally investigated for child abuse means that you live the constant fear of having your child taken away from you. It is an awful, helpless feeling, but one with which my husband and I were willing to live because we had nothing to hide. As days turned into weeks and the easy resolution we were promised was slow in coming, we consulted with an attorney. It is sad and disheartening that it had to come to this, but the threat of a lawsuit is what ultimately brought about an end to our ordeal. In a daring move, we challenged our accusers to either take our baby away or leave us alone. They left us alone.

Throughout this ordeal, I was embarrassed and scared out of my mind, to say the least. To this day, we still don't know how or when my son sustained his initial injury (they are saying now that it could have happened at birth), and I worry every day that it will happen again. Before this incident, I thought what many of you are probably thinking: if Child Protective Services is involved, this lady must have done something. Child abuse is a serious problem in this country and I understand completely why my son's injury raised red flags. However, I would be lying if I didn't say that this incident has shaken my trust in "the system" in a big way. We witnessed firsthand how easy it is to get sucked into the vortex of child abuse allegations, and how hard it is to escape it once you are there.

Once our case was closed and we breathed a collective sigh of relief, I told a few good friends my story. Instead of taking ten steps away from me, every person I told reached in and hugged me ... and then told me their story. Every mom, it seemed, had a similar experience herself, or knew someone who had. There was the clinically depressed fifth grader who lied and told his teacher that his father beat him; the toddler who fell on the edge of the coffee table and needed stitches; the preschooler who had an unfortunate habit of using the words "swatting" and "punching" interchangeably. The more people I've talked to, the more I get the sense that my case isn't all that unique.

I'm not sure how as a society we got to the place where "better safe than sorry" means overriding good judgment and common sense, yet for better or worse, here we are. The thought that I am not the only one this has happened to is at once comforting ... and terribly distressing.

next: NY Awaits Confirmation of Probable Swine Flu Cases
Wilton Siregar February 9, 2011, 11:51 AM

Your RSS feed doesn’t work in my browser (netscape) how can I fix it?

gry bakugan nowa vestroia February 18, 2011, 12:14 AM

Nice, nice, wonder if it’s all true?

unic77 February 19, 2011, 3:40 AM

This really answered my downside, thanks!

Can't Be Friends Trey Songz February 19, 2011, 5:59 PM

Thank you so much for giving everyone an extraordinarily memorable chance to check tips from this web site. It’s usually very lovely plus stuffed with a good time for me and my office mates to search your site particularly 3 times weekly to study the fresh guides you have. And lastly, we are certainly fulfilled for the eye-popping solutions you serve. Selected 3 facts in this article are surely the most suitable we have ever had.

Kayla Beechner February 21, 2011, 8:46 AM

Let me start use saying nice content. Im not sure went this has been talked about, but when using Chrome I can Don’t get the entire site how to load without refreshing many times. Could only be my computer. Thanks.

Judson Larimore February 21, 2011, 7:14 PM

you can have on not intended how to do so, but I think you allow managed how to express the state as for mind that a lot of people are to. The sense as to wanting how to support, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot as to us are going through.

ubieranki February 22, 2011, 8:57 PM

I need to bookmark this - I surely will keep in mind your post.

Grant Oakleaf February 22, 2011, 10:55 PM

I’ve heard about something similar - but this is it.

Tadalis preis February 24, 2011, 2:34 PM

The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

Madisyn Cairns February 24, 2011, 8:14 PM

I think you has saved me a drive to the computer repair guy thanks alot.

Madalyn Cairns February 25, 2011, 5:46 PM

the old version seemed simpler

Joesph Gaddie February 26, 2011, 8:44 AM

This really answered my drawback, thank you!

Valencia Dematteo February 26, 2011, 8:34 PM

Thank you for a really good post. I found it quite useful and will check your site often. Regards J.K

Scott Agtarap March 2, 2011, 3:50 AM

some really nice and useful info on this web site , as well I believe the design and style holds superb features.

mesothelioma March 2, 2011, 10:41 PM

Good job, showing maturity within your response. I never touch upon those blogs, even if your content is great

BinoMynctrity March 4, 2011, 12:40 AM

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

Bruce Gillion March 7, 2011, 1:25 AM

I have observed that in the world the present day, video games are classified as the latest popularity with kids of all ages. Often times it may be unattainable to drag your son or daughter away from the video games. If you want the best of both worlds, there are various educational activities for kids. Thanks for your post.

Yadira Musser March 8, 2011, 12:25 AM

I must convey my gratitude for your kindness giving support to those people that should have assistance with this concern. Your personal dedication to passing the solution all around was really interesting and has really enabled men and women like me to arrive at their dreams. Your valuable guideline entails a great deal a person like me and additionally to my fellow workers. Thank you; from everyone of us.

Ned Filkey March 8, 2011, 7:22 AM

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks!

part time teenage jobs March 11, 2011, 12:04 PM

Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?