If I Go on Vacation, Will My Baby Forget Me?

One mom left her baby for almost two weeks ... and lived to tell the tale.

Young woman with arms crossed, looking out of window

Angela Chee: When I tell people I just left my baby for almost 2 weeks to go to Italy with my husband, they either think "How could you leave for that long?" or they can't wait to start planning their trip.

Believe me: it wasn't easy. My son will be one this week. We had planned our trip when he was only a few months old. Our friends with kids kept telling us that we needed to get away alone, before it's too late. Going on vacation was the last thing I was thinking about when I was just getting the motherhood thing figured out. But when it was time to go, I was glad we had planned it. Leaving was actually harder than being gone. The weeks before I left were filled with anxiety. I was nervous about leaving my son, even though I knew he would be perfectly fine with my mother-in-law. I felt guilty. While I deserved some time with my husband, it felt strange to leave my son. I didn't even pack until the night before because I wanted to make sure he had everything he needed, that laundry was done, food was prepared, and everything was in order. I even weaned him off breastfeeding.

While I missed my son, I have to admit it was nice to not wake up at 6:30 AM, to not have to breastfeed and worry about what he was going to eat or not eat that day. It was just me and my husband and a bottle of wine. I was able to forget about missing him for moments throughout the day, but as a mom you can't help but think of your baby every time another baby or child goes by. But technology made it easier. With Skype, we could not only talk to my son, but we could see him on the computer. I'm not sure he understood exactly what was going on, but he waved and blew kisses. We watched him eat his lunch and throw food ... nothing had changed.

For you moms out there who are considering a vacation -- he didn't forget me. The first morning back at home when I went to get him out of his crib, he did stare at me a little longer, but once I picked him up it was like not a moment had passed.

next: 4-Year-Olds with iPods?
kieszonkowe nośniki informacji February 6, 2011, 3:49 PM

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

ortodonta warszawa February 6, 2011, 9:56 PM

The new article is going to be awesome!

Katalog Stron WWW February 7, 2011, 12:30 AM

Thank you for your post. I like it! Greetings!

ortodoncja warszawa February 7, 2011, 6:48 AM

wow… nice!!!! I love it!

Katalog Stron WWW February 7, 2011, 7:40 AM

Funny post, I especially like this article.

wybielanie zębów February 7, 2011, 2:31 PM

That would be really good if they did many articles.

szyby samochodowe warszawa February 8, 2011, 5:32 AM

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

lego February 8, 2011, 5:45 AM

This was a very interesting post!

stomatolog Zbiersk February 8, 2011, 11:09 AM

I simply desired to thank you so much yet again. I’m not certain what I would have taken care of in the absence of the strategies contributed by you concerning such area. It absolutely was an absolute troublesome crisis in my view, but observing a new professional technique you processed it made me to leap for contentment. I’m happier for your help and even trust you realize what a great job your are putting in teaching most people thru your webblog. I know that you’ve never encountered all of us.

turbosprężarki nowe February 8, 2011, 11:15 AM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

szyby samochodowe hurt February 8, 2011, 11:32 AM

I precisely desired to thank you so much all over again. I’m not certain the things that I might have gone through without the entire creative ideas shown by you concerning that question. This was a very daunting matter in my view, but considering the professional avenue you managed the issue forced me to cry with delight. Now i’m happier for the guidance and then wish you are aware of a powerful job your are providing educating many people using your webblog. I’m certain you haven’t come across any of us.

Turbosprężarki February 8, 2011, 6:21 PM

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

auto szyby warszawa February 9, 2011, 2:21 AM

hi!,I like your writing very much! share we communicate more about your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

ashley February 9, 2011, 7:26 PM

Some of you ladies need to calm down, geez! I took a week long vacation without my daughter (god forbid!)and trust me, the world kept spinning and life went on. Spend some time with your husbands before they feel alienated by your obsessive baby ways!

Adolph Deason February 11, 2011, 3:45 AM

Awsome post and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is actually the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thx :)

three peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:02 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

Brinda Skeesick March 17, 2011, 7:54 AM

This site seems to get a good ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It gives a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something real or substantial to post about is the most important factor.

dofollow blogs March 29, 2011, 12:36 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

do follow social bookmarking March 29, 2011, 2:10 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Nathan I. Fink April 5, 2011, 2:30 PM

Hello, - came upon your website by chance when drifting round the internet this morning, and delighted that i did! I do like the design and different shades, but I should point out that I’m having difficulty when it loads. I’m making use of Shiira 1 web browser for mac, and the header fails to lineup completely. i’m confident I’ve employed a matching layout on a company’s website, but the menu seems okay on mine. I suspect the problem is at this end and I reckon that it’s about time to swap!