I Love Telemarketers and So Should You

During a recession, people are lucky to have jobs -- even sh*tty ones that piss you off.

telemarketers.jpg

Momlogic's Andrea: There's a demographic that on a daily basis is publicly ridiculed, maligned, and verbally battered by strangers. No, I'm not speaking of an ethnic group or minority ... I am referring to telemarketers. Those people who interrupt our meals while reading off of laminated "scripts" in a desperate attempt to sell us things we usually don't need.

I personally love telemarketers for this reason: They are not panhandling or on welfare. They are part of the workforce. A workforce that in the last year has lost over half a million jobs.

When I answer my phone, I don't know the circumstance of why the voice on the other end took a job that is, some might say, one of the lowest on the employment totem pole.

Let's be fair. Telemarketing is not anyone's dream job. No kid says, "I want to make cold calls when I grow up!" Maybe the caller just got laid off from their "real" job and in a desperate attempt to keep their family fed, went out and took any job available. Pretty commendable, I'd say.

But, you scream at me in frustration: "They shouldn't be calling me -- I'm on the No Call List!!" Oh yeah? Then take it up with their boss. Not them. They're just doing their job, dialing from a list (or an automated system) of numbers that's been put in front of them.

Not all jobs are great. Some suck. And almost everybody at one time has had to take a sucky job. Give the people who've had to resort to telemarketing a break -- hopefully they'll move on to something better. You did, right?

See Also:

next: Vote Caps Gay Marriage Fight in Conn.
holly April 23, 2009, 1:19 PM

You made me think about this differently. You’re right, they’re just people trying to do their job!

AM  April 23, 2009, 2:03 PM

Wow! What a great post! You are absolutely right. I’ve taken telemarketing jobs in the past because surprisingly the pay is not bad and some companies have flexible hours, Which is great when you have kids. Plus, the companies I worked for had a fun and happy atmosphere. And that is so much nicer than the alternative.

teresa April 23, 2009, 3:20 PM

it is their job to inform their boss to stop calling me.

Holy Craft! April 23, 2009, 3:24 PM

What a great new perspective! Thanks for taking a positive spin on a (typically) negative topic.

Pamala April 23, 2009, 7:55 PM

I’ve done surveying which is in the same league and you’re often yelled at and disrespected and I’ve never understood that at all. People deserve respect. Those who dial your number don’t know whether or not you’re on the Do Not Call list and yes you can inform them that you don’t want to be called again, but do it politely. I always say, I can’t talk now and please take me off your list. Thanks and have a great night.

A little respect will get you respect in turn. Believe it or not, if you are disrespectful we would put you to be called back the next day/week (depending on the system) at the same time just because you were rude to us.

Jennie April 23, 2009, 9:44 PM

I’ve thought of all the things you said many times. Still, when someone calls for the fifth or sixth time, I just hang up without saying a word. I find myself hanging up on almost all telemarketers. Hey, most of the calls are recordings, and at least I don’t yell at anybody. And if I ever have to take a job as a telemarketer, I will appreciate not being yelled at, and I will understand completely why they hang up on me.

ashley April 24, 2009, 7:55 AM

I’ve been where Pamela’s been. My senoir year I quit by beloved job of 2 1/2 years at a party supply store over some petty stuff (I ended up going back a few months later). I had to have a job so I got this job telemarkting. I went through the training week and got paid really well. Then a week and 2 days into it I just couldn’t take it anymore and quit. Well, the people that were SUPER rude, I put on the list to be called tommorrow morning. I know that’s horrible!! My husband has a great job selling insurance now but his first 2 weeks he had to make cold calls to get leads, I felt so sorry for him. I just put us on the Do Not Call List but now they are calling our cell phones!!

Sarah April 24, 2009, 2:21 PM

I just give my kids the phone. The kids love talking to them. :)