Jennifer Hudson's Baby News Gives Hope

When my mom died, I felt like my life was over. But then I got pregnant, and I could live again.

Jennifer Hudson

Momlogic's Julie: My heart broke for Jennifer Hudson when her mom, brother, and nephew were shot to death back in October. I couldn't imagine the pain she was going through. I was her age (27) when my mom died at age 52. It was -- and still is -- the worst thing that ever happened in my life.

When I heard the news that Jennifer was pregnant, my heart sang. Within a year of my mom's death, I too was expecting. I had always thought I would get pregnant in my late 30s. I was a career girl through and through, and had only been married three months when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Kids weren't even on my radar.

But then I took care of my mother for ten long months as the life slowly seeped out of her. Her death was a shock to my system. It leveled me. I could not go on without my mom. She was my best friend, my rock, my biggest fan.

Without her, I was lost. I had no purpose. I had a loving husband to hold me up, but there was a void in my heart I was worried could never be filled again ... until I got pregnant.

With a new life growing inside me, I began to heal. As I prepared to become a mother, the loss of my own was just a little bit less unbearable.

Don't get me wrong -- not having a mother to guide me through those first few years of motherhood was tough, and continues to be so. But on January 22, 2001, at 11:03 PM, as I pushed and I pushed my firstborn out of me, I swear I saw my mom's face there on the ceiling of Cedars-Sinai Hospital. She looked angelic, and I finally felt at peace. Moments later, as I gazed down at the writhing little baby in my arms, my baby, I could truly relate to my mom on a whole new level, for the first time.

Now I was a mom, too.

next: Baby Mauled and Killed by Pit Bull
Gigohead  April 24, 2009, 9:45 AM

I’m so happy for her. I am also expecting and it was after a loss. My husband’s beloved grandmother passed away. We were trying for a baby during the time she was ill and we had stopped that month. We continued to conceive and the baby is due on the day she passed away. It’s bittersweet but it may help his family cope with the loss with the new baby.

CeCe April 24, 2009, 12:09 PM

I really do hope that she is expecting. I think that it would make her so happy to have her family reforming itself. I am not exactly sure though, because I know that she has laughed it off mulitple times. And if these bits of information are from looking at pictures where it looks like she has a baby bump, we have to remember that she has always been a curvy woman. Don’t get me wrong, she is beautiuful and I love her to death, but I am not sure that the bump is new life. It could be, but we should wait until we here it from her mouth. And plus, she is strong in her Christain faith, so she may not be pregnant and may be waiting to start the circle of life until after her and David wed. You never know. But if this is true, the saftey and health of her and her new blessing are in my prayers. Thanks and God Bless!

Vilma April 24, 2009, 12:26 PM

Is Jennifer Hudson married or will this be another illegitimate child to add to the masses in the US?

amy April 24, 2009, 12:51 PM

Vilma, you are awful to say that.

Lynne April 24, 2009, 2:24 PM

I didn’t even know people still used the word illegitimate. It’s 2009 for crying out loud! Some people chose to live together and raise there family without the marriage license. Some of the best couples I know have been together for years and raise their children in a loving home and will NEVER get married. Also, some of the worst relationships I know are from married people who raise their kids in a house so tense b/b their married parents hate each other.

Let’s try to be a little more forward in our thinking, shall we?

Tara April 24, 2009, 4:01 PM

To Vilma, the fact that you would attempt to put a label on a baby that’s not even born yet is very sad. Obviously you are unaware of the joy children bring to this world. I feel sorry for yours if you have any. This is a woman who suffered a loss that most of us can’t even imagine. All happiness that comes to her is well deserved! Shame on you or anyone else who tries to take that away.

Ps, if you’re wondering, I’m happily married with 3 children.

Anonymous April 24, 2009, 4:09 PM

Vilma, seriously. I mean come on. Who the F*&$ cares if she is married or not. Some of the best moms are unwed mothes and some of the worst are married women. How does a piece of paper saying that you are married to someone make you a good or bad parent.

And I also am a married mom to a great boy but would be no less of a mom if his father and I were not married.

Isn’t there enough going on in this world today that we don’t need to label people like you are doing?

Kristi April 25, 2009, 1:27 PM

Congrats!! I am so sorry for your many losses but this is going to be a wonderful time in your life and I wish you the best of luck! ps I hope that baby can sing just like their momma!

CeCe April 29, 2009, 12:29 AM

I posted the really long comment up at the top, and that is so dumb to say what you said. I have said this on multiple other sights and I will say it agian. I wish that I could say a few colorful comments to you right now, but I am to beautiful to do so. Jennfier Hudson is a strong and beautiful woman, and I idolize her for coming back onto the scene even after her loss. She lost so much and yet is still giving with her wonderful voice. Vilma, you really need Jesus. I am 14 years old and live in the system and yet I dont take my anger out on ANY one. Not even those who have hurt me. Maybe you should take a look at you before you open your mouth about someone else. I am not saying anything wrong, just maybe you should stay off the magazines and news sites until you love you. God has big plans for Jen, and she is a mighty woman of him, so may he bless her and keep her forever. I am still not 100% sure that Jen is expecting, but when will anyone be until she announces it. She is still in my prayers, as well as her possible bundle of joy!!! God Bless!