Jesus, Enough is Enough!

Jackie: I love Easter. The cute outfits... The candy... The whole rising from the dead thing.

two boys sitting in the garden with easter baskets

Yeah, that's right, I said it.

While Easter has become less of a religious holiday and more about the bunny hopping around with baskets of goodies, millions are ignoring why the day was originally celebrated. But not my two preschoolers. When I walked in this week to hear my four-year-old telling the tale of Jesus and the cross to his three-year-old brother, I was stunned to discover how much he had learned.

My boys attend a Christian preschool and we love it. It's been refreshing to sing Christmas carols and celebrate holidays without worrying about excluding someone who may not follow the same beliefs. And the teachers, I can't gush enough about the program. But to hear the brutality and disturbing facts that go along with the story of Jesus, I definitely wasn't prepared for that.

"And then they killed him. And his mom was sad and his dad was sad and his grandma and papa were said and his Auntie Pam and Uncle Scott were sad ..."

Hmmm... Jesus had an Auntie Pam and Uncle Scott, too?

"And then on Saturday, they were still sad. And then on Sunday..."

Hold up. It's hard enough to explain death to a child his age -- believe me, it's been an ongoing question -- but am I going to now have to explain that their great grandmother can't rise again... Or their poor little goldfish?

How much is too much when it comes to Easter? Tell Jackie how you really feel in the momlogic community.

Connect with other Christian moms in our community!

next: George Anthony Agitated at Deposition
Anonymous April 10, 2009, 3:03 AM

Don’t you tell them the difference between us mortals and God? God does miracles that us normal people cannot…simple enough.

Anonymous April 10, 2009, 4:03 AM

Didja tell him Easter was originally a pagan holiday to celebrate the coming of Spring?

drleah@singlemommyhood.com April 10, 2009, 8:00 AM

Here’s a bit of advice from The Sanity Fairy: When you enroll your kids in a religious school, you can expect that this school will teach the lessons central to that religious faith.

In this case, a Christian school will teach not only the birth of Jesus but also tell the Passion story.

As a responsible parent, you should have been well aware of what your kids would be taught - in other words, you didn’t do your homework - due diligence - before enrolling your child in this program. If you’re “fed up” or shocked by what you child has learned, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Renee April 10, 2009, 8:28 AM

It is a miracle and the basis of our faith. If they have any questions then use God as a basis to answer them. If not then let them discuss it themselves!

mommyoftwo April 10, 2009, 9:07 AM

If there were a christian school near by us that is where my girls would go for sure! but there is not so i will home school them. i think that is great that your kids were talking about that! so maybe a few things were added maybe that is how they made it more real to them. but it is great to hear this.sad to think that Easter now days is all about that bunny and what kind of candy he brings.

Rachel April 10, 2009, 10:49 AM

I LOVE that your kids know about the death and rising of Jesus! Whne explaining why his great grandmother can’t rise from the dead, I would DEFINITELY use God as the basis. Let them know that He is ALMIGHTY, POWERFUL & MIRACULOUS! Read straight from the Bible.

chris April 10, 2009, 10:54 AM

You have it so wrong. Easte is NOT about candy and cute little outfits…it is about Jesus and the miracle of his life and death and rising again. If this is the belief that you intent to pass on to your children, then it is never to early to teach them about him. As some of the other poster stated - if this is too much for you then you should have educated yourself about what your kids preschool was going to teach them. I find it crazy how so much people claim to be christians but feel uncomfortable when other people speak of Jesus. Don’t be shamed of your faith or in sharing it with your children.

Karyn April 10, 2009, 10:56 AM

I think as long as you tell the kids that Jesus rose from the dead because he actually is part of God (and is God) then you’ll plant the seed. As far as the grandmas and such in our lives that have passed on, we can let our little ones know that if they were believers, they’ll rise to be with Jesus (or perhaps already are…that part is a little unclear).

The sad thing to explain to young children is what has happened with our deceased relatives that were not believers.

As far as it being too much for little ones to tell the entire Passion story… it is what it is. I think children accept the truth better than adults do…that Jesus was killed to take on our sins and it was a horrible event. But, praise God, we do celebrate an empty tomb because he is RISEN!!

Amy April 10, 2009, 10:56 AM

I think it’s worth it to tell kids the whole story. My five-year old is having a hard time processing the resurrection but I don’t want to miss the opportunity to teach him. I don’t want to have a teenager who can’t stomach the pain that Christ shouldered so we didn’t have to. It will make sense eventually.

Trina April 10, 2009, 11:14 AM

My daughter is in her third year at a Christian school and she learns about God (and Jesus!) at school, but she also learns it at home and at the church we attend.

There is nothing about the crucifixion, death and resurrection of Christ that I would gloss over for my kids. It’s the good news of grace and redemption and the basis of our faith.

Though I am a little shocked that this disturbs you considering you do have them enrolled in a Christian school.

rugbymom April 10, 2009, 11:21 AM

I have to say that I’m with Trina on the part about being a little shocked this is bothering you. I grew up in a christian home and I have known the story as long as I can remember. By the time I was explained the resurrection, I already knew Jesus was special. So, it made sense. Kids put funny twists on things, but it is our job to mold & prune them in the right direction, no one said it would be easy, but the child will be fine, especially if he or she is learning the truth about this Holiday.

PastyD April 10, 2009, 11:28 AM

It is very disturbing when you think about the story of Christ. However, it is also very realistic. It’s not that you are a bad mother, quite the contrary. It’s normal for you to want to shield your children from the ugliness in life. We are subjected to painful things that happen to us in life and see it on the news every day. I understand how you feel. Children grow up fast enough and the thought of murder and cruelty is not at all pleasant.

Linney April 10, 2009, 11:36 AM

sorry, i agree with Jackie. not that it should be sugar coated, but a three or four year old i don’t think should hear the whole story (like “passions of the christ”) thats a rough and hard story for anyone to handle….especially a toddler/preschooler.

Michelle April 10, 2009, 12:12 PM

Come on people…these are preschoolers. Let them be kids and have fun finding easter eggs and enjoying the bunny. If Jesus was so great and God watches over us, then why is there war in the name of God…interesting…HUH!!! Why have thousands and thousands of people died in the name of God? Kids need things to be sugar coated because they are unable to grasp the concept of death and “the rising of the dead.” People, just let kids be kids and let them enjoy the fun they deserve!!!!!

RP Mom April 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

I am going to be very upfront and honest here, I know Jackie in real life and she was very very responsible in researching the school her kids attended and what they would be taught. She darn well knew it was a Christian school and what they would be taught. She put a lot of love, time and dedication in picking the school for her children. She is one of the most responsible and loving parents I know.

But I too would have been a little surprised if my kids came home at 3 and 4 with such details. I agree with PastyD, it is normal for us to want to shield our children from the ugliness of life. My children are growing up in a Christian household. But at this age (my children are 4 and 2.5) I simply day Jesus died for us to take away our sins and we love Him. I am trying to keep it simple for them.

bb April 10, 2009, 12:42 PM

Go Zombie Jesus Go!!

Alexandra April 10, 2009, 12:45 PM

I think learning about the death of Jesus is too much for a child to bear. This woman isn’t saying that she’s afraid or feels ashamed of her faith or the school for giving her child the lesson, she’s saying she was surprised to hear the gruesome details. She is happy they teach them about what Easter means for the Christians. Personally, I think that if you’re really going to get upset, it should be about the fact that your children aren’t getting the full truth about what Easter (and Christmas, etc.) meant before there was Christianity. However, being Christian, you probably don’t want to share that part.

JW April 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Easter was originally a pagan tradition that focused on fertility. Would that be easier to explain to a 3 yr. old? Either way, you kind of only have yourself to blame. if you want your children to attend a religious school and you did your homework about the school then who’s fault is it? If it bothers you that much maybe you should put your child in a school where he can meet and become tolerant and respectful of children with different beliefs and backgrounds. Even if it means having to learn which holidays they do and don’t celebrate.

Sara April 10, 2009, 2:32 PM

We are starting to look at preschools for our daughter and I am hesitant to go to a Christian preschool for this very reason. Some things of the sad things that happened in the bible are not age appropriate until a bit older. I would rather be the one to teach that when I feel my child is ready, instead of wondering what the preschool taught. I can see that it’s not shocking for a preschool to teach this type of thing, but that is the exact reason I’m unsure we would go that route for a preschool.

TheMomDaily~Jaci~ April 10, 2009, 3:07 PM

I can totally agree with Jackie… My son is starting to attend Roman Catholic Church with his grandmother (my mom-in-law) and just the other day asked why if Jesus rose again, can’t his kitty Lightning?? ACK… not where I wanted to go with my 5yr old! So I told him that Jesus was a very special HUMAN that God made and than let rise again but that PETS can’t do that, BUT that his special kitty Lightning became a special Kitty Angel who will look out for him, he accepted that… WHOSH bullet dodged!! My Mom in Law liked that one too, she said she didn’t think she could have come up with such a good line on the fly! Thank heavens for my quick thinking mind!

As for Easter’s Pagan roots in Ostere, my son knows that this is where the Bunny and Eggs tradition comes from and accepts that people mix the 2 to make something that more people can celebrate.