Joey Lawrence Talks Showbiz Kids

Diane Mizota: He's not just the handsome star of the ABC Family movie "My Fake Fiance" or the witty snarky host of Yahoo's Buzz Session, dishing on "Dancing with the Stars" (co-hosted by yours truly -- shameless plug, I know). He's a parent and a former child actor who's got 30 years in this business under his belt. So who better to talk to than Joey Lawrence about showbiz kids?

joey lawrence

How did you get your start in the business and how old were you?

Four years old. I won a picture contest that my mom just entered me in, and the prize was that you got a talent agent in New York to see you ... I got like forty commercials the first year, and then Johnny Carson had me on after that, and I sang and danced two numbers, and NBC signed me from that.

As your career progressed, what was your mom's role in the business?

She was influential. My mom not only instilled in me the morals and ethics that kept me out of the tabloids and rehab centers ... [she] always taught me it's about your work. Keep your focus on the fact that you love this work. It's not about the lifestyle it affords, it's about the work. It doesn't give you a get-out-of-jail-free card on your behavior.

How did you and your family manage such huge success while avoiding the childhood star clichés?

That's it. Family ... She was with us every step of the way, otherwise it would have never worked. I never thought I was special for what I did ... It was about school, I was stressed out about the normal things. My mom kept the perspective really spot-on ... I was more stressed about tests coming up and pop quizzes than I was about work ... It was a release more than it was my life. My mom rocks.

Did you ever have a hard time dealing with the rejection?

I'm always a glass half full guy. It gets very tough to deal with it the older that you get, because you want things more, and there are more reasons why you want them, y'know? As a kid, if I didn't get it, I didn't even think twice about it, my mom shielded me from so much of that stuff. When you're an adult, man it's a problem. It's your livelihood, especially if you've got a family, it's about support, all the things it's about for me now ... there's a lot more involved now, it's not as pure as it used to be.

Do you ever have any regrets that you didn't have a more "normal" childhood?

Not really. One of the best things my mom did was, she pulled me out [of the business] from like 6th, 7th, and 8th grade and I went back to middle school ... You know, there are certain things you miss out on, especially as you get older, but the rewards for it were so great. I got to spend a lot of time with my family, I met my wife because of the business ... I traveled the world, I was able to dance with Sammy Davis Jr. and Bob Hope ... That's priceless stuff.

Do you have any advice for parents looking to get their kids into the business?

Make sure the kids want it. Don't look at your cute, adorable kid and think, "Oh, this'll be great." ... But if they really want to, if they're the ones dragging you ... That would be my advice, let them tell you.

So if your daughter comes up to you and says, "Daddy, I really want to act ..." what then?

I don't want to be hypocritical here, but my goal would be for her to do it as a hobby and to get through high school and college, not unlike what Ron Howard's daughter did ... I would not allow her to do it professionally until she is at least eighteen, and then I would encourage her to finish college. That would be my goal.

next: Growing Up Autistic
hcg diet March 22, 2011, 3:01 PM

The website does not seem correct Firefox ( its possible its only me) however the content gets over filled on top of the comments container so you have words ontop of other words

Hilario Haggstrom March 22, 2011, 4:16 PM

Thanks for some great points there. I am kind of new to web surfing, so I printed this off to put in my file, any better way to go about keeping track of it then printing?

we buy houses March 22, 2011, 5:03 PM

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I’ve included you guys to blogroll.

Beats Solo HD Red March 22, 2011, 8:43 PM

Right-minded saying thanks determination not fair-minded be satisfactorily, representing the wonderful understandability in your writing.

Von Pinkerton March 22, 2011, 9:21 PM

My Partner and I wanted to thank you for your competence along with wonderful online site.

health forum March 23, 2011, 4:36 AM

I believed your submit was awesome and will go to generally.

cheap wedding dress March 23, 2011, 6:31 AM

Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

Cherry29Francisca March 23, 2011, 10:21 AM

When you utilize the research paper writing service, you don’t spend your cash. Furthermore, you build your academic career, buying research papers.

4g evo March 23, 2011, 10:56 AM

I must say that this post is the most relevant article I’ve ever read and saw. It’s a great help to everyone who is looking for this information.

expert credit March 23, 2011, 2:15 PM

Excellent post. Really refreshing offered all the duplicate articles out there. Thanks for performing something original.

htc March 23, 2011, 4:37 PM

Cheers for this wonderful web page. I am attempting to go through some a lot more posts but I cant get your internet site to display properly in my Opera Browser. Many thanks again.

Mercedes Forums March 23, 2011, 4:51 PM

¡Gran poste! Gracias por tardar la época de escribir algo que está realmente digno de la lectura. Encuentro demasiado a menudo el Info inútil y no algo que es realmente relevante. Gracias por su trabajo duro.

projector video March 23, 2011, 8:00 PM

Nice a single, cheers for the tip

shop snow boot March 23, 2011, 10:42 PM

You’r site is good and you indeed run your site for entertainment.

tourism March 24, 2011, 2:10 AM

I think I will change to this blogengine system as it is a lot nicer than mine.

review March 24, 2011, 2:15 AM

Can I just say what a relief to search out someone who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know the right way to convey a difficulty to gentle and make it important. More people must learn this and understand this facet of the story. I cant believe youre no more widespread since you undoubtedly have the gift.

best dental insurane March 24, 2011, 2:38 AM

I’d like to write like this too

loans car for bad credit March 24, 2011, 3:33 AM

There are definitely plenty of details like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice level to carry up. I offer the thoughts above as basic inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place an important factor will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around issues like that, but I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Both girls and boys really feel the influence of only a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

financial March 24, 2011, 5:52 AM

wicked webpage, this is going on my twitter.

home security March 24, 2011, 1:00 PM

Your web page offers a lot of unique insights and info. I haven’t definitely imagined about it like that.