Moms Gone Wild for Kate Gosselin

When the star of "Jon and Kate Plus 8" finally arrived at her book signing, you'd think she was an A-list celebrity not a D-list reality star.

Kate_Gosselin.jpg
Momlogic's Andrea: I scored one of the hottest tickets in town -- a book signing of a famous blond who's life is constantly documented by cameras following her every move. No, it's not Madonna or J.K. Rowling. It was Kate Gosselin. Yep, that's right, just a reality star -- but holy cow, people came out in droves to meet her on her  "Multiple Bles8ings" book tour at Barnes and Noble in Glendale, California.

The store was packed with moms, young girls, stay-at-home dad, plenty of babies and a fair amount of twins.  Based on the size of the crowd -- which was huge -- I had no doubt if Nadya Suleman had octoplets in hopes of landing a TV show and becoming famous, she might be on to something.

In true manufactured celebrity-style Kate was late, 20 minutes to be exact. I thought -- hey, I could cut her some slack -- heck she's got eight kids -- I can barely make it out of the door with one. But the crowd didn't care about Kate's childcare issues. The babies were getting fussy. And so were some adults.

book-kate-gosselin.jpg

When she finally did arrive, she had to literally push through the slew of fans and photographers. Who says being a mom is unglamorous job? Kate looked so amazing I swear she was movie star, well, at least direct to DVD star. Poised and perfectly coiffed, she strutted out to her table piled high with books like an old Hollywood pro. What I couldn't get over was her stomach. That tummy tuck of hers really took. Heck, I'd let television crews film my family if I could afford to get rid of my droopy gut.

As the crush of cameras leaned in to get their shots, the M.C. for the event announced her over a loud speaker and then, without saying one word to the crowd, Kate got down to the business at hand and started signing. I felt ripped off. Couldn't she just say hi? There were woman who had endured spit-up on their shoulders and diaper changes in line. Couldn't she at least just give them a shout out?

But say what I may, the crowd loves Kate. Not just loves -- it borders on worship. Almost all the women I talked to spoke of her in glowing terms. Marta Gonzales, waiting in line with her 17 year-old daughter, told me she admires Kate's "Christian values" and loves the connection she has with Jon. Hold the phone. Is she watching the same show we are? That poor guy gets the sh*t kicked out of him every week. When I asked her about the possibility that Jon was cheating on Kate, she lightly chalked it up to "strains in any marriage that grow over time." I asked another beautiful tall blond woman holding an equally beautiful baby told me Kate was in an inspiration to all mothers.

Wow. Were all of these women Stepford Gosselins?

One thing for sure, they are loyal. Most of them said they would not jump ship to watch a new show coming down the reality show pipeline. It involves a woman, who like Kate, already had children, choose IVF, and when finding out she had enough implanted embryos to start a volleyball team refused selective reduction. Her name? Nadya Suleman. Watch out Kate there's a new multiple mama in town.

Check out the Kate Gosselin's making a star entrance at her book signing:

Obessed with the Jon and Kate Plus Eight? Chat with other like-minded moms in the momlogic community.

Read more from Andrea

See Also:

next: Grrrrrr ... It's Cougarific!
Mimi April 15, 2009, 4:18 PM

Kate used IUI, not IVF.

Also, Kate really is gorgeous. I wish all of us mothers had the time or the energy to look as good as she does! I have one and it’s hard to even comb my hair some days.

wannadanc April 15, 2009, 6:36 PM

If THAT is a good hair-do, no wonder I don’t get any part of the allure here. She actually paid someone to mess her hair up like that?? Looks like she just got out of the rack. She is boorish, pompous, and if her child rearing is a model of something to be emulated, we ARE in trouble!!!! The only other fertile Myrtle that gags me more has just applied for a trademark on her name. What ever happened to Ward, and June, and Wally and the Beav??

Lilly April 15, 2009, 7:21 PM

Mimi, all of us would look nice if we had someone to do our hair and make up and pick out our clothes. As for the hair cut, it looks like a mullet.

Pamala April 15, 2009, 8:01 PM

The way she treats her husband is just horrible. What’s sad is people believe it is fine to treat their husbands like that. I can’t stand her. She has personal chefs, nannies and maids to help her out. She certainly doesn’t do all of that on her own.

SDT April 15, 2009, 8:51 PM

Um…why aren’t the children of these Kate-fans *in school*?!

Daisy L April 15, 2009, 9:54 PM

The first commenter is correct: Kate had IUI not IVF.

I am not a fan, but there is a world of difference between IUI and IVF. Moms who have been/there done that are tired of reading about Kate G’s “infertility struggle” that while real.. was relatively short lived, and treated with the least expensive, least difficult to manage approach.

So give us all a break. Kate G isn’t in the IVF club.

Nikki April 15, 2009, 10:34 PM

Lily and Pamala…Kate looked beautiful and put together even in the first season before they had any of the money and fame. Stop being jealous!She gets up at the crack of dawn every morning to gets on the treadmill and watches her diet. She has said that numerous times on the show. Try it sometime. I would love to see how any of your marraiges would be raising 8 well behaved kids. They are doing a fantastic job and seem to truly love one another despite the stress.

Lia April 15, 2009, 11:25 PM

That is no mullet, but it is some sort of variation of the “business in the front and a party in the back.” Total mom trying to be hip hairdo.

lilly April 15, 2009, 11:59 PM

Nikki, Kate does work out and eat right and so do I. But she’s also had work done. She also makes jon get the kids ready in the morning while she spends hours getting ready. And if I was crazy enough to have eight kids I would still respect my husband. She has help, yet she still so rude. I don’t wish to be
anything like her and no in any way am I jealous. I take care of my kids, clean my own house, cook, work full time, and go to school part time. And yet I still treat my husband with respect.

Sherry(the real one..haha) April 16, 2009, 12:54 AM

I commend that whole family…they are worthy of recognition.No matter what we say I LOVE HER..not all the time though LOL!

nina April 16, 2009, 11:15 PM

I found this web site over at an anti hate site called retro blog.net. These witches are soooo jelous of kate and her family its sick.Retro dan ownes this blog he should be ashamed of his self. Go over and read old blogs and new blogs these people are so sick to talk bad about these people.

tori April 16, 2009, 11:28 PM

yeah I went to that web site and read all there sick blogs them putting these little kids parents down how sad these people must be to talk bad about kate all day. Your right there probly ugly and jelous too.

sandra  April 16, 2009, 11:45 PM

Nina thans for the site retro blog.net. Im not the biggest fan but these people over on that blog are very nasty everone go read all the blogs.

lana April 17, 2009, 12:00 AM

I hate retro blog. net. They ran me off after I said I loved the show. They say you can have an opinion you give it retro dan kicks you off but lets thoes mean wenches on there. There soooo stupid over at that blog they argue all the time.

Mako April 17, 2009, 2:32 AM

a lot of people said bad things about that day, i dont get it. she seemed nice i was in line and i was at the end of the line when she came, so i was right behide where that camera was ^^^^
and many posted online that she didnt let ppeople take pictures with her, and many said that she did not have patience for the cameras(when she had the same problems before, as shown in many eps) but she did have patience if the camera didnt work, well i took a picture with an iphone, which if u have one u know it takes forever and she was actually waiting =] she seemed really nice for the few seconds i talked to her, and when i was in line her people were right in front of us so they asked us how we found out about the signing because it was not really advertised and they were really happy abut the turn out. and the girl that was behind me in line got her to sign her camera with a personal note. and she doesnt look the way she looks on tv, in person she seemed smarter, her face was very fresh and she looked really young

nice try April 17, 2009, 2:52 PM

nice try 10 doll to try and say something nice about kate&jon retro blog.net bunch of haters over there kate rules youall.

tilly April 17, 2009, 3:14 PM

its not 10 doll its FancyNancy on retro blog shes the mean kate hater. Nice try fancy to try and be nice not buying it.

nicet try April 17, 2009, 3:22 PM

sotty wrong chick FancyNancy, we can tell with a name like that your a fat jelous hater get a life fatty patty. not buying you trying to be nice to kate in your blog fat head.

want a fight April 17, 2009, 3:27 PM

you, the retro blog hags its on. Stop the haters.com get a life retro muts old ugly hags.

maggy April 17, 2009, 3:51 PM

yeah there little site guy dan, gave them a special invite chate only for the trolls because they couldent take the truth and fight. So they run in there to hide they cant take a good fight. They run in there and hide and talk crap about us all kate lovers and the rest of the bloogers on there site. There too afraid to face eneyone they have to hide and gossip.