Moms Gone Wild for Kate Gosselin

When the star of "Jon and Kate Plus 8" finally arrived at her book signing, you'd think she was an A-list celebrity not a D-list reality star.

Kate_Gosselin.jpg
Momlogic's Andrea: I scored one of the hottest tickets in town -- a book signing of a famous blond who's life is constantly documented by cameras following her every move. No, it's not Madonna or J.K. Rowling. It was Kate Gosselin. Yep, that's right, just a reality star -- but holy cow, people came out in droves to meet her on her "Multiple Bles8ings" book tour at Barnes and Noble in Glendale, California.

The store was packed with moms, young girls, stay-at-home dad, plenty of babies and a fair amount of twins. Based on the size of the crowd -- which was huge -- I had no doubt if Nadya Suleman had octoplets in hopes of landing a TV show and becoming famous, she might be on to something.

In true manufactured celebrity-style Kate was late, 20 minutes to be exact. I thought -- hey, I could cut her some slack -- heck she's got eight kids -- I can barely make it out of the door with one. But the crowd didn't care about Kate's childcare issues. The babies were getting fussy. And so were some adults.

book-kate-gosselin.jpg

When she finally did arrive, she had to literally push through the slew of fans and photographers. Who says being a mom is unglamorous job? Kate looked so amazing I swear she was movie star, well, at least direct to DVD star. Poised and perfectly coiffed, she strutted out to her table piled high with books like an old Hollywood pro. What I couldn't get over was her stomach. That tummy tuck of hers really took. Heck, I'd let television crews film my family if I could afford to get rid of my droopy gut.

As the crush of cameras leaned in to get their shots, the M.C. for the event announced her over a loud speaker and then, without saying one word to the crowd, Kate got down to the business at hand and started signing. I felt ripped off. Couldn't she just say hi? There were woman who had endured spit-up on their shoulders and diaper changes in line. Couldn't she at least just give them a shout out?

But say what I may, the crowd loves Kate. Not just loves -- it borders on worship. Almost all the women I talked to spoke of her in glowing terms. Marta Gonzales, waiting in line with her 17 year-old daughter, told me she admires Kate's "Christian values" and loves the connection she has with Jon. Hold the phone. Is she watching the same show we are? That poor guy gets the sh*t kicked out of him every week. When I asked her about the possibility that Jon was cheating on Kate, she lightly chalked it up to "strains in any marriage that grow over time." I asked another beautiful tall blond woman holding an equally beautiful baby told me Kate was in an inspiration to all mothers.

Wow. Were all of these women Stepford Gosselins?

One thing for sure, they are loyal. Most of them said they would not jump ship to watch a new show coming down the reality show pipeline. It involves a woman, who like Kate, already had children, choose IVF, and when finding out she had enough implanted embryos to start a volleyball team refused selective reduction. Her name? Nadya Suleman. Watch out Kate there's a new multiple mama in town.

Check out the Kate Gosselin's making a star entrance at her book signing:

Obessed with the Jon and Kate Plus Eight? Chat with other like-minded moms in the momlogic community.

Read more from Andrea

See Also:

next: Grrrrrr ... It's Cougarific!
amanda_23 April 23, 2009, 12:25 AM

I love watching John & Kate. Who ever says they don’t like Kate is just jealous!!! If you had your own show you would be the same way….I know you would!! They are doing a great job with the kids!

PJT May 8, 2009, 5:09 PM

Kate is a witch that is so rotten to Jon no wonder he went wandering. She’s conceited and has a “holier than thou” attitude. I guess she forgot the days when they lived in the little house she had a fat tummy, Jon was bald and she didn’t have that HIDEOUS chopped hairdo! Who DOES she think she is? Oh and that MADDIE? Needs a SMACK. What a BRAT!

kathy May 8, 2009, 8:40 PM

i will never understand the fasination with this woman. she is mean to her husband and short with her kids. tlc buys them a house, pays for their vacations, neither work, and i could go on forever. she is pretty becus tlc paid for her redo. ditto jon’s new hair. couldnt we all be prettier if someone else paid the bill? now she thinks she is some big celebrity. jon begs to stop the show and she wont give up her fame. she makes me sick.

irene May 8, 2009, 8:47 PM

for the person who said kate looked just the same at the beginning of the show. not true. she had brown hair and as expected, saggy belly from the pregnancy. the show did the redo and that is fine but where is her gratitude? jon takes care of the kids while she travels now for her book tour. the only reason i hope jon didnt cheat is due to the kids. if not for them i would hope he did fool around as kate needs a big wake up call. she is a mean wife. she belittles him continually. it is getting sadder and sadder to watch. i dont understand people who think she is some saint. someone cooks for her, cleans her house, etc etc. when have you seen kate even play with her kids? all she cares about is how perfectly they are dressed. i think she has big problems. i havent seen the new dog lately. probably she got rid of it as it didnt fit in with her perfectly clean house.

John1174 May 10, 2009, 8:40 PM

Very nice site!

rae May 11, 2009, 4:07 PM

I can remember watching the show when it first came on. They seemed just like me or anyone else watching. But it seems to me that all the tv and money have taken them to places that they would never be able to go. (NOT WITH 8 KIDS AND THE WAY THE WORLD IS TODAY)
I dont know about anyone else but I have never taken my 2 kids on a sky vacation and to hawaii and to disney. So when Jon is having a hard time adjusting to being JON AND KATE PLUS 8 he needs to think of who is paying for all of the new lifestyle that he has. They wanted to be on tv and wanted the help from other people so why are they not liking it now that they live in a million dollar home. A SHOW THAT STARTED OUT DOWN TO EARTH IS NOW ONCE AGAIN ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

Mwrqwcqu June 27, 2009, 11:36 PM

yNjCjD comment5 ,

Prada Handbags July 8, 2010, 12:37 AM

thanks a lot for admins lovbe you continue to keep impressing us! nicely worth the go through.I identified it especially useful as I’ve been.
by Prada Handbags

information on chicken pox February 23, 2011, 3:10 PM

Aw, this was a really nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means appear to get something done.