Mel Gibson's Wife Files for Divorce

People.com: Mel Gibson's wife of nearly 30 years, Robyn Moore, has filed for divorce, PEOPLE has confirmed.

meldivorce270.jpg
The couple released the following statement Monday: "Throughout our marriage and separation we have always strived to maintain the privacy and integrity of our family and will continue to do so."

Moore, 53, citing irreconcilable differences, is seeking joint physical and legal custody over their minor child, Thomas, 9, according to court papers. She is also seeking spousal support and attorney's fees, and is asking the court to deny her husband any spousal support.

Gibson, 53, met Moore, at the time a dental nurse, in the late 1970s after the American-born actor, who moved to Australia when he was 12, had filmed his breakthrough success, Mad Max. The pair, both now 53, married on June 7, 1980, and have seven children - Hannah, 28, twins Edward and Christian, 26, William, 24, Louis, 21, Milo, 19, and Thomas.

see more photos see more photos
Exes Get Even In Public Most Infamous Expensive Divorces

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Conficker Eye Chart Shows Computer Viruses
Alishia April 13, 2009, 3:51 PM

I learned why Mel Gibson and his wife Robyn, has just filed legal papers to divorce .Mel Gibson after 28 years of marriage, citing “irreconcilable differences.” See the video because of what they are divorced!!! Flash clip about 28 years of marriage Gibsons

Mo April 13, 2009, 3:56 PM

That is a REALLY bad picture of him.

daniel April 13, 2009, 6:31 PM

So? They’re just normal people like all of us. And sometimes normal people realize normal things and they decide to act accordingly. Who are we to judge or to pretend we know the answer to whatever problems they had or have. Stick to your own lives people. It’s short..

banjoman April 13, 2009, 6:34 PM

I’m betting she crucifies him. From the beautiful picture you showed of him he looks almost dead now.

Kitty Kat April 13, 2009, 9:39 PM

MEL HONEY, Let her have the kids and come get me.I’ll get ya through the rough times.I’ll even use a fake Scottish accent for ya….

Zey.Tavia April 13, 2009, 9:52 PM

What a shame. Nearly 30 years of marriage has turned into this. They were one of the longest married couples in hollywood.

As far as his last two films are concerned, I didn’t go to see either one of them because I knew they would be gratuitously violent and bloody. No thanks!!

Big Mike April 13, 2009, 9:59 PM

Hey mel, feel free to gimme a ring any time, im sure after 30 years your tired of women, let me show you what a “REAL” man can do for ya.

Linda April 13, 2009, 10:03 PM

I’d like to keep company with you, but you probably live to far from me, I’m in Louisiana. I don’t like the picture of you they put on the web site, it doesn’t do you justice. I know your image is not what it depicts.

Betty April 13, 2009, 10:10 PM

I love the 1979 movie he starred in “Tim”. Has anyone else seen that besides me. He is adorable in those short shorts…

Cute cakes April 13, 2009, 10:12 PM

I have been a fan of Mel Gibson’s for many years.. That is much different from trying to be a wife of such a handsome man that is constanly being tempted with beautiful women and I’m sure men too! I hope that his wife gets what she is asking for but I do hope that she does not deny the 9 year old son his Dad.. I’m sure he will do just fine with his life and still wants to be a Dad..

Cute Cakes

Mady April 18, 2009, 6:47 PM

So— according to their strict form of Catholicism — if they get a divorce will their kids all become bastards or can only Catholics with a Pope at the top wind up like that?

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 5:03 PM

Very useful info. Thanks so much, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 7:44 PM

I really like your site. Thanks so much, very useful indeed…

diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:39 PM

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! Hope to read more from you!

marbella apartments for rent December 10, 2010, 5:37 AM

Nice reading. Nice piece of info, very well written article.

Allison Neubert December 12, 2010, 7:03 AM

There is visibly a lot to know about this. I suppose you made some good points in features also.

Virginia Furrow December 12, 2010, 7:03 AM

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I believe you made certain good points in features also.

Gail Chandley December 12, 2010, 3:36 PM

There is apparently a bunch to identify about this. I consider you made certain nice points in features also.

Lashunda Perusse December 12, 2010, 3:36 PM

There is visibly a lot to know about this. I believe you made various good points in features also.

Meridith Reuber December 23, 2010, 12:52 PM

I really like your reading. Thank you, very well written article.