Mom Wants Dead Son's Sperm

20-year-old Nikolas Evans died Sunday, as a result of a bar fight. His mom got a court order to extract his sperm, so she can have a grandchild through a surrogate mother. Is this okay?

Nikolas Evans

When 20-year-old Nikolas Evans was hospitalized and later died after a bar fight in Austin, Texas, his mom was adamant that she wanted his sperm extracted, reports the Austin American Statesman.

According to court documents, she repeatedly asked hospital officials and representatives from an organ donation agency to extract her son's sperm leading up to and immediately after his death. They refused.

Now a judge has signed a court order requiring the medical examiner's office to preserve the body of the assault victim until his sperm can be taken.

"I want him to live on," Evans said. "I want to keep a piece of him."

Do you think this is a mother's right ... or is it just plain creepy?

next: What to Wear on Easter? This!
Brena April 9, 2009, 7:47 AM

Nothing wrong with this what so ever! As long as she’s not planning to deliver a “grandbaby” herself! I wonder if her son was her only child? That would be even sadder. I hope she has her dreams fulfilled very soon.

Kara  April 9, 2009, 8:08 AM

There is nothing wrong with this at all. He was probably her only child. I cannnot imagine her pain and hope that all works out as well as can be expected for her.

Anonymous April 9, 2009, 8:41 AM

I would so do the same thing!!! great idea.

maeby April 9, 2009, 9:51 AM

i find it incredibly selfish. Bringing another child into the world will not bring your son back.

Dawn April 9, 2009, 10:16 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, in fact I am appalled she had to go before a judge for such a private decision. If you don’t have a will then your next of kin makes the decisions regarding your remains, such as organ donations, cremation, etc.
Our country has moved so far from the idea of freedom to government deciding almost every facet of our private lives.

Gigohead  April 9, 2009, 10:26 AM

I don’t think I would do this personally if my son would have been taken away from me. I do wish she gets a favorable outcome and I hope they find out the person responsible for her loss.

Anonymous April 9, 2009, 11:30 AM

I wonder of the tables were turned and her daughter died. Would she want to have her daughter’s eggs saved?

Renee April 9, 2009, 12:10 PM

I cannot even begin to understand this woman’s grief, but she will be bringing a child into this world with his father already gone and no biological mother involved. That is going to be hard to handle/understand as the child is growing up don’t you think?

Jess April 9, 2009, 12:40 PM

No, I do not think she should be able to to bring another life into the world with his sperm. Hopefully she’ll teach this one to have more sense than get into a bar fight at 20.

V April 9, 2009, 12:41 PM

I think this is kind of disturbing. I understand the mothers grief but aren’t there enough fatherless children in this world? Who is this mother going to get to carry the baby? I am a single mother and know how hard life is with no help… who would purposly do this to themselves?

Daniel April 9, 2009, 2:16 PM

I am a friend of this family. This is for her son. He wanted to have children more than anything else in the world, his mother is doing what she can to try and make that possible for him,even though he is gone. As for raising this child to know better than to get into a bar fight at 20, is rude! He stepped in to keep his friend from getting jumped, he tried to stop the fight, so please don’t make assumptions! Nik was an amazing person, and his mother is doing everything she can to help others remember him!

mom2two April 9, 2009, 2:32 PM

I agree with the previous post that she shouldn’t have had to see a judge to do this as his next of kin. And if this is truly what her son would have wanted then I hope this will help him rest in peace. It’s tragic that his life was taken at such a young age. I’m sure that the child born from this will be loved as a child should be.

Lo April 9, 2009, 2:54 PM

why would anyone want to bring a child into the world that would never know his/her father, and probably never know his/her mother. It is a tragedy what happened to this young boy, nobody should ever have to outlive their children…but to selfishly bring a child into the world who will never really get to experience life the way they deserve is unfair and crude.

Renee April 9, 2009, 3:08 PM

As sad as it is, Daniel, HE will never have a child. He will never know of the child’s existence and the child will never know him. I feel so terrible for the loss and God bless his mother.

Angel April 9, 2009, 3:28 PM

It’s kind of creepy to me and sad for the child that could eventually be born.

Beth in SF April 9, 2009, 3:30 PM

Yeah, bring a kid into this world who won’t know his father or mother at all. Good one. This woman is a selfish moron. That’s harsh, I know. I see her motivation. But she has to know she’s doing like a thousand things wrong morally.

Thanita April 9, 2009, 3:31 PM

No no no, this isn’t good on many levels. While I’m not a psychologist, one has to agree that this woman must go through the natural grieving possess. It’s completely unatural what she is asking.

She’s going to “create” this child because she’s morning the loss of her son. What if this child doesn’t add up to her expectations of her idea of who her son was? How will this affect her and the child. This is just not natural.

Stacy April 9, 2009, 3:35 PM

Nothing wrong with that as long as she is not delivering the baby herself, the earlier story i heard was that she was going to be the mother and grandmother of this would-be child and I thought that was wrong and felt like she could find a surrogate mother, i mean what mother doesn’t want their child to live on through grandkids.

Shelli April 9, 2009, 3:49 PM

This woman is selfish! I see her friend finds her to be an amazing mom but why was her 20 year old son in a bar at all? Where’s the father of the dead boy? Obviously she didn’t raise her son well. Why should technology and the courts give her another child to screw up?

Nicole April 9, 2009, 4:03 PM

This is so odd to me. I have all the respect in the world for this woman, and my prayers are with her as I can not even begin to imagine what she is going through. That being said, I think she is going a little too far. A “grandchild” is your child’s child, one that you dote after but send home at the end of the day, and god forbid something ever happened to your child THEN you would be there to support and take care of your grandchild. All this woman is doing essentially is adopting a child, not a grandchild. I think it would all be very confusing for a child if this were to happen. I hope she can work through her grief and see the holes in this idea.