New Bill Gives Kids No Credit

Bill goes after credit card companies that prey on college students.

girls shopping using credit card

They set up shop on college campuses across America ... credit card companies eager to sign up the young, and usually broke, with their first-ever credit card. To most college kids, the thrill of getting access to easy credit is rarely dampened by consideration of maintaining a solid credit history -- or filing for bankruptcy.

A new bill seeks to change this financial downward spiral. Called the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, it would require parents to co-sign on a credit card application for anyone under 21 years of age -- unless they are financially independent or complete a financial education class.

New York Sen. Charles Schumer is in favor of the bill, according to Newsday: "Credit cards should be a leg up for college students, not a leg trap that snares them in unbearable debt," he told the publication.

Danielle Hoston, a business and finance expert, thinks the only thing a credit card is good for is establishing credit and demonstrating financial responsibility. She advises to at least keep your kids' cards down to just one.

Here are Danielle's tips for responsible credit card use:

Cash is king
Advise your children that buying on credit is STILL like buying with cash, except that you are paying MORE due to interest and credit card fees.

It pays to pay on time
The most important thing to remember about managing your credit is to NEVER PAY LATE. Late pays can lead to higher interest rates and negative reportings on your credit report that can have long-lasting and very EXPENSIVE repercussions.

Leave home without it
Stay out of trouble by leaving your credit card at HOME and NOT using it. If you can't pay with cash, you probably can't afford it. Any outstanding balances should be paid in full at the end of the billing cycle before the interest accrues.

next: Another Senseless Bullycide
Hobbies for Kids December 11, 2010, 1:46 AM

Your piece typically is pretty proper, however it could well be awesome should you may provide additional representatives once more for people who examine your piece will not get bored swiftly. I watch for up coming well written articles, I hope whatever acquire made right here tends to make you more agitated again to write more desirable content and more. Greetings away from me and still climb improve the quality of your articles better. say thanks

baby gift basket December 13, 2010, 8:04 PM

I trust you about what you have presented during the editorial just above. nonetheless what if this appears all the thins you have written meets these anxiety usually do not fit with veracity. you ought to are willing to proper all you acquire issued on top of? yet total the article you truly have issued above is quite pleasant and interesting to read simple things. I chosen your post and maintain letters awesome content many others. Greetings of me and I will frequently check out your blog on the additional events. locating

rosetta stone italian December 14, 2010, 12:32 AM

Amazing stuff,Thanks so much for this!This is very useful post for me. This will absolutely going to help me in my projects .

baby girl name December 14, 2010, 12:47 AM

are you cognisant what I’m opinion succeeding analyzing the art youve printed at the top? My corporation is clearly you do not know since me and god only appreciates. well I will say the reply for you personally. I feel no confidence on everything We ve examine, your writing will amazing, I am certain you really are an out of this world writer. when you are avoiding a writer, you have an incredible expertise becoming a poet. I shall go back to your blog to read the paper the new content you’ve constructed and I am never statement on the lettering but if We ve the perfect time to write. thank you

baby beanies December 14, 2010, 5:19 AM

We’re sure you do not know me in this way well I have no idea you. yet I really like about all you acquire printed inside piece at the top. when I’ll understand where one can purchase inspiration to write that good. We are a critic in my place, nonetheless scarcely I find scripting this better. frankly I am jealous using you. incidentally Maybe We have your e mail tackle can I call? I would like to communicate in with your robust. knowledge

toddler activities December 14, 2010, 7:45 PM

I trust you about all the thins you have printed within the editorial over. nonetheless what if it then appears what you have documented meets these burden don’t fit with reality. must are willing to proper all you possess posted higher than? however overall the article you’ve posted over is amazingly great and interesting to learn to read. I chosen your post and maintain text good items other products. Greetings because of me and I will frequently check out your blog over the different situations. say thanks a ton

disneyland tickets December 16, 2010, 5:24 PM

I roughly do not believe could find some good piece that. your pals should discover my awesome editorial, I’m confident you don t brain if I happen your happiness in a acquaintances. possibly the neighbors will give a terrific mention likewise to you about this critique. Yea, today please inform me the ways on how carry out I become a member of your blog? and one other thing I want your e-mail talk about so we can talk. Greetings and locating. have a nice moment

greeting card companies December 20, 2010, 1:26 AM

I’m confident you do not know me so that well I don t know you. nonetheless I really like regarding all you provide posted inside the content above. but if I am going to uncover for you to get inspiration to create that good. We are a writer in my place, still seldom I find writing this healthy. frankly I am jealous of you. by the way Maybe We ve your email talk about can I name? I would like to communicate with your round. thank you

Rosetta Stone Hebrew March 12, 2011, 2:15 AM

I was actually looking for this resource a few weeks back. Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.This will absolutely going to help me in my projects .