Oops! I Gave My Baby a Bowl Cut!

Angela Chee: I had been putting off cutting my son's hair. He's only 11 months, but it was time. The cute shaggy rocker look only lasted so long. His bangs were covering his eyes and every time he woke up from a nap he ended up with a knotted mohawk.

Asian boy

I thought about going to a children's salon, where they put your baby in a chair that looks like a toy, blow bubbles, and do who knows what to keep them happy during the cut ... some even give out a Baby's First Haircut certificate. But I don't think I was ready for such a formal haircut. His hair is so soft and natural I didn't want to cut it all off yet. I just wanted to give him a trim so he could see.

It seemed easy enough. I put him in his high chair with newspaper underneath. I had scissors, a comb, a spray water bottle ready. I put him in front of the mirror to distract him and had my husband blow bubbles and video tape it.

I was ready. So I started with the bangs. I wet them down, combed them, then snip snip across the forehead. OK one cut down. I even lifted the hair up in between my fingers like the professionals and layered it a bit. Then I cut this one little curly tendril he had on the side and saved it. He started to squirm and fuss so I figured that was enough. Haircut over. He looked great. Like a little gentlemen. Then his hair dried. Oops! He has a bowl cut. What did I do??

My husband says he looks fine and he does -- when I push his bangs over. I'm trying not to, but I find myself obsessed with combing his hair to the side so he doesn't look like Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber." I could try to fix it, but I think it will look worse. So I'll just have to wait until it grows out a bit and maybe next time I'll go to the salon instead.

Ever given your kid a bad haircut??

next: Negotiation 101: EVERYTHING is Negotiable!
Anonymous April 6, 2009, 10:48 AM

You gotta love the bowl cut

Krystine April 6, 2009, 2:40 PM

omg, even worse, I tried to cut my 2 year old son’s bangs like we did in high school, remember the twist and cut, to get it a little shaggy? well, the first cut was still a little too long, so i did it again, and then his hair dried. so, yeah, he walked around with uneven, too short, thick, shaggy, girl bangs for a couple of days before i took him to the barber for a fix. Now he has a little boy fade, and he looks so big!!

Amy April 6, 2009, 3:32 PM

That is too funny!

ame i. April 6, 2009, 10:27 PM

Just put a glob of gel in his hair, ruffle it with your hand, proclaim it to be the coolest new style and laugh when other mom’s copy it :)
Both of my daughters were born with headfulls of thick hair. I was able to brush the bangs of kid the 1st to the side for awhile but she had her 1st trim at 2 months. Kid the 2nd had crazy curly hair we finally trimmed at 3 months b/c it was sad when she woke up with “bangs” down to her nose like a little sheepdog.
My husband jokes that they had baby mullets. Not, b/c I didn’t shorten the sides. He’s a dork!:)

ashley April 7, 2009, 8:20 AM

When my son was 2 1/2 he needed his first cut. Well, being the procrastinator that I am, we waited until 2 hours before we had to go to a fancy historical marker unveiling for hubby’s grandpa. That little boy fought us for an hour and his hair was butchered. On the way we quickly ran him in to supercuts and he sat perfectly still!! Last week we took our daughter (almost 2) for her first cut. The lady gave her a sucker and then put the robe over her so the whole time Sophia was trying to get that sucker out and was looking down so she was still!! Great idea!!

Anon April 28, 2009, 5:17 PM

Why do parents think that they are hairdressers? Just cos you had a kid doesn’t mean you now know how to cut hair. You wouldn’t cut your own hair so why cut your childs?

Del July 2, 2009, 12:05 AM

This is a very interesting website, I have added it in my favourites. Keep up the good work.
I am from Serbia and also now’m speaking English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “Get the tips and tools to shop flea markets intelligently, plus find a flea market near you.”

Waiting for a reply :P, Del.

Eilene September 6, 2009, 2:17 AM

How are you. It is not enough to aim; you must hit.
I am from Barbuda and too poorly know English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “Rainwater can authorise data instead and can depend the made primary surcharge to be contained off.”

Waiting for a reply :), Eilene.

Alexis October 15, 2009, 6:09 PM

I had a few of those cuts when I was a kid too. We just called a “Dorothy Hamill”. LOL!!!

mew4ever23 October 15, 2009, 9:46 PM

DEAR PARENTS. Salons like this exist for a reason. Use them.

Anonymous October 15, 2009, 9:50 PM

that picture is so ridiculously fake

Anonymous November 30, 2009, 2:26 PM