Philip Markoff Tried to Hang Himself in Jail

Daily News: Accused Craigslist killer Philip Markoff reportedly tried to hang himself in his jail cell with shoelaces and was placed on suicide watch Thursday.

craigcamera270.jpg
Correction officers found "shoelace marks" around the 22-year-old med student's neck, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

He was quickly moved to a segregated unit at Boston's Nashua St. jail so officers can keep a closer watch on him.

Markoff is being held without bail on murder, kidnapping and robbery charges in the slaying of Manhattan masseuse Julissa Brisman and the stickup of hooker Trisha Leffler.

The preppy upstate New York native -- who was attending Boston University medical school -- allegedly lured his prey over Craigslist.

Police said he was using the robberies to finance a gambling addiction and that he killed Brisman -- with a gun he stashed in a hollowed-out copy of Gray's Anatomy -- when she fought back.

He was arrested Monday on the way to Foxwoods casino in Connecticut with his fiancee, Megan McAllister.

She is standing by him despite mounting evidence of his guilt -- including panties from the victims found in the Boston-area apartment they shared.

"She's still confident in Phil," her father, Jim McAllister, said outside the family's home in Little Silver, N.J.

"We're saying a lot of prayers."

Asked whether McAllister had any idea her future husband might be involved in criminal activity, her father answered, "Absolutely none."

Meanwhile, friends and relatives of Brisman gathered in Washington Heights for the second day of a wake. She will be buried Friday, on what would have been her 26th birthday.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: I Love Telemarketers and So Should You
ewok April 23, 2009, 3:52 PM

I knew he did it when I saw him. The fact that he tried to commit suicide says it all (plus the mounting evidence) He not only had a gambling addiction, but he kept the underwear of the victim…needed a keepsake. Over-achiever. He is a text book case psycho.

opinionated April 23, 2009, 4:55 PM

I feel horrible for the fiance. That girl was about to marry dr jkel/mr hyde. She had no idea. To be weeks away from her wedding and to find out who you were about to marry will be devastating. I hope she realizes in the future how lucky she was to find out now.

AM  April 23, 2009, 5:00 PM

You knew he was guilty when you saw him? Really? Wow I hope that you never serve on a jury. The murder and assaults are sad and tragic events, true. But the media seems to have already tried and convicted this man of these crimes. I realize that all the reports we’ve all heard have led us to believe that he is guilty, indeed he may be, but in the United States of America we are presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law, NOT in the court of public opinion. Sure, the guy in the video appears to be the man that was arrested and this new report that he had items from the victims seems to solidify the assumption that they’ve got the right guy. But the reports haven’t said how they know that. Was there a DNA test done to prove those items belonged to the victims? Have those items been positively identified? Was that gun ever used in these crimes and how was that proven? There have been no reports that would answer any of these questions. There are just way too many unanswered questions for me to say unequivocally that I know he’s guilty. The fact that he tried to commit suicide could be because he is guilty but it could also be an act of the desperation of a man who fears conviction for a crime he did not commit. The fact is we simply do not know … yet.

Mom2two April 23, 2009, 6:27 PM

Well said “AM”. He may very well be guilty but nowadays people are tried and convicted in the public long before they ever appear in court. “I knew he did it when I saw him.”…..RIDICULOUS! What are you psychic?

obray April 26, 2009, 8:46 AM

I don’t know why everyone assumes a “clean cut guy ” can’t be seedy individual. I hope this will remind people that you cannot judge a book by its cover.

maddy May 18, 2009, 9:56 PM

i’m a red-haired Irish lad in California who thinks these women were probably asking for whatever they got. Ihate women. I’m incredibly twisted that way.