Placenta Capsules, Anyone?

Would YOU try this?

A few weeks ago, we told you about the woman who ate her own placenta. Now we've found a woman who encapsulates dried placenta for new mothers to fight off the baby blues.

placenta capsules

April Kurtyka
believes eating placenta can prevent postpartum depression and fatigue and increase new moms' milk supply. She'll come to your house, dry the placenta, grind it up, and encapsulate it for you.

Many moms find that easier to swallow (literally) than the placenta pasta or panini that new mom Chrissy Schilling ingested.

What do you think about placenta encapsulation?

next: 2-Year-Old Takes Art World By Storm
Daryl April 30, 2009, 4:44 PM

Actually cooking and eating the placenta just makes me want to vomit, but this idea actually appeals to me. If I knew how to do that I’d probably go ahead and do it.

Crystal New April 30, 2009, 6:40 PM

We did both with our daughters placenta.. we ate 1/2 and encapsulated 1/2..

Amanda Lunsford April 30, 2009, 6:47 PM

i have never even heard of this! i might would try the pill form, but the thought of eating it grosses me out!

Kristen April 30, 2009, 8:09 PM

I wish I could have done this, I think it’s a great option. The cooking it and eating it, not so much.

Gail Cooke May 1, 2009, 12:00 AM

Dried placenta: So you too can be a cannibal!

nicole May 2, 2009, 2:19 PM

There are so many benefits to placenta encapsulation. especially because, like most of the commenters, it’s much easier to pop a pill than eat the placenta! There are many advantages to pill form as well, you get a small dose of hormones/iron/goodness each day rather than just consuming it all at once. This means the benefits can last weeks, really brining the chance of post partum depression to near nonexistent! there is a ton of info over at http://PlacentaBenefits.info

Lynnea November 7, 2009, 3:17 AM

Transforming the placenta in capsules for consumption after birth has many benefits; reducing chances of baby blues and post-natal depression, encourages a healthy milk supply and gives new mum a helpful supplement of essential fats, minerals and vitamins tailored for her own body. I ate my placenta in capsule form and still do to maintain my energy levels and keep a my milk supply plentiful. I would recommend this to anyone! Koala Therapies.com for info on placenta encapsulation in the UK.

Read more: http://www.momlogic.com/2009/04/placenta_capsules_anyone.php#addTextComment#ixzz0WAggmgXm

Natalie @ Naddy's Blog January 20, 2010, 9:08 AM

My understanding is that cooking it at higher temps decreases a lot of the benefits. Plus I think its gross.

However, encapsulating it seems to have some benefits and I’m definitely going to do some more research on it before my next birth!

Janell August 24, 2010, 12:53 PM

I personally think it’s gross either way. More power to all of u though.

watch jersey shore season 3 episode 8 February 19, 2011, 4:25 AM

Hi! Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx