Dad Blogger Reacts to Sandra Cantu's Death

Sandra Cantu's body was found just a short 4 miles from my house this evening... and although I didn't know her or her family personally, I can't get her out of my head.

Sandra Cantu

Guest blogger Charles Orlando: For those in the un-know, Sandra Cantu is the little 8 year-old girl who was abducted last week, killed and left in a irrigation pond in Tracy, CA... where I live. Her body was found just a short 4 miles from my house this evening... and although I didn't know her or her family personally, I can't get her out of my head.

Many readers of my blog know about my personal life based on my radio interviews and book, but you may not know that I have two kids that are not much older than Sandra was. My daughter is 10, and my son is 13... and both are scared. (Yes, I realize that most people have a better chance of getting hurt in their bathtubs than being abducted/killed, but that doesn't take away their fear.) As their father, I share their fear... but the fear of something happening to them is just the start... I also fear what I would become if something actually did happen to them (a thought I can barely type, let alone ponder on).

For all that I have written about men and their primal instincts, I find myself thinking about how I would--as a father--handle this type of situation... and the short (and Fifth Amendment) version of what I would do is: nothing good.

A long time ago in Asia (the exact country and time frame escapes me right now), convicted murderers were incarcerated for one year. At the end of one year, the murderer would be brought with the victim's family to a body of water (lake, ocean... I just can't remember the complete details; sorry), restrained and tied to a weight, and dropped in. The only people allowed to save the murderer were the family of the victim (or victims). The idea, of course, is that after a year, perhaps the family of the victim would find forgiveness in their hearts and rescue the murderer from death--lest they become what they beheld in the first place. If I were in that position, I'd like to believe that I would grow past the pain and mourning and rescue the murderer... but I fear that I would not. And not only would I not save them, I would be happy for the justice fate bequeathed.

Trite and stupid, but I have to ask: Where the hell do these people come? Is there one crazy couple living in the South Pole that keeps bringing these crazy, sick, twisted f*%k$ into the world and teaching them that little girls are easy marks because they can't defend themselves?

Burn. Them. All.

next: Olympian Dara Torres -- Killer Mom, Killer Bod
Minister R.S. Howell April 12, 2009, 3:27 AM

I will pray for the family and believe that in time God will heal their wounded hearts and give them strength to carry on. I know they are going to miss their baby but she is in heaven with God and the Angels, looking down on her family smiling, while God pushes her in a little swing.

May God forever Keep the Family and Remember that God who holds their hand now cradles their little baby girl.

Your Friend, Minister Rafael S. Howell

Tammy April 13, 2009, 4:28 PM

I would completely take the law into my own hands. If the law worked for our children these molesters who get a spank on the hand and then let out again would never have that chance to escalate into killing a child. There should be no such thing as a registered sex offender. Any monster who commits an act so heinous shouldnt ever again see the light of day. There shouldnt be a second chance for these monsters. If it was my child they wouldnt have a second chance.

Christina April 13, 2009, 11:55 PM

I firmly believe that the punishment should fit the crime. I would kill her myself for what she has done to that innocent little girl. There should be no mercy for monsters like that!! My children are my life. I can’t imagine the horror the family is going through. They deserve real Justice !! Sandra deserves REAL Justice!!

kiki April 14, 2009, 2:18 AM

i have to say i really do not think she did it. I think she feared for the safety of her own child and so took the fall instead of pointing the finger at the real killer. I think her grandfather/grandparents did it, and she maybe bore witness or just knew thew circumstantial reasons, and she wanted to tell where Sandra could be found but then she revealed too much and had to take the fall — because the grandmother had taken Melissa’s own daughter away on a “planned vacation” immediately following the killing. It all falls into place if it was the grandfather and Melissa is covering for him. remember the first things she said was “my grandfather had nothing to do with it and my suitcase was stolen” well we know her suitcase was not stolen i think we can logically assume the other part is a lie too.

jojo April 14, 2009, 2:28 AM

Melissa has not actually confessed to the crime. She has given enough information that they had probable cause to arrest her. I suspect she knows all about the crime. And is not pointing the finger at anybody else. and so this is why it “seems” like a confession on the outside looking in, But she could just as well …just be stuck…unable to tell ALL that she knows …and so taking the fall for now. jail may be safer for her than to be with the person who she knows is the killer. and maybe so long as she keeps the spot light on herself she feels her own daughter will be spared.

Jane Doe April 14, 2009, 4:35 AM

I don’t often write on these.

I have a sad heart for the victims and their families in such a sad situation that should have never taken place on earth, but I believe that there is a reason for this one. 2 weeks ago I was driving my son to school and we saw a boy about the age of 6-7 and he was joyfully scooting away to school solo. My son asks my why do parents allow their kids to do this. My honest and pure answer was: I don’t know but I am your Mama and want you in my sight at all times and know exactly where you are going.

Then this tragedy takes place, then last week- Tuesday - after the news broke about Sandra being found, I was once again driving my son to school, yet this time having an adult by his side while he’s scooting away….

I told my son as we saw this, this story may have helped her realize what she was supposed to do as a parent and be responsible for her child.

Also, I explained to him as to why I always want both him and his 5 year old brother to be near me all the time while we are out and about.

I wanted to say this before I forget…. It’s Satan that tricks people’s minds all the time. Although people do have the choice to either do good or do bad… It’s up to them. Nobody else can do it. Satan will manipulate and pressure you until your breaking point. But where do you turn when you truly don’t have God in your heart?

I’m not perfect and I know that if Melissa asks for forgiveness from God and really means it, God will forgive and therefore we should do the same as well. It’s hard, but we should let God deal with those who take the innocent ones.

I pray for Sandra’s family and Melissa’s as well. And for Melissa herself…

Jane Doe April 14, 2009, 4:43 AM

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that my children are 5 & 7 yrs old.

I certainly don’t want to scare the daylights out of my kids. But would like to inform them enough about me being serious when I want them close by and in all hopes that they will keep this as a reminder of safety. (I only mentioned to it once to them… I believe that’s enough.)

I do try to put myself in every single one of their shoes.

My heart goes out to all of them, even Melissa. She is struggling herself.

My prayers are going out to everyone who is struggling with whatever it is in their lives….

The real monster is = Satan….

doona April 14, 2009, 10:08 AM

if she did hurt Sandra she should be put on electric chair. Since little Sandra was found I’m very sad, angry, upset combination of my feelings is horoble, I can’t sleep…I have 5 grandchildren, I don’t think that women should be ever free. Please if she did it she deserves do DIE.Sandra honey this place became dengerous to raise the family. RIP honey, and so sorry the monster did take your life.:(

Sue April 14, 2009, 3:14 PM

Looking at this individual who had done this to Sandra and she immediately reminded me of the mother who murdered her daughter Caylee Anthony.

I give my deepest sympathy to Sandra’s family and friends. My prayers are with you at this difficult times.

Ojos April 15, 2009, 12:06 AM

1.) girls are not the only targets and 2.) He is a SHE,and people are so thick headed…’How can a woman…’…what? You mean Casey Anthony doesn’t ring a bell…how about Andrea Yates…or…Susan Smith? It’s a sure bet the nutjob lady uh… um… GUY used a sex toy to penetrate the girl.I find it more likely for a woman to order a dildo from adam and eve than for a guy to so.All those “cute sex toys for my vagina” was with out a doubt found with along or in this poor girl’s body.She was penetrated with an object…we know that much for a fact!
If a woman can kill HER OWN BABY,the one she birthed,then it’s not a big step to do harm to another’s.

Pjos April 15, 2009, 12:24 AM

i meant ‘one of those’,not ‘all of those’ ,sex toys.

margaret April 16, 2009, 4:28 PM

I am sorry, I dont really think I am saintly enough I would not be able to forgive this person. I feel she should get the death penalty saying she was sexually abused as a child doesnt excuse this either. We have a choice. There are lots of people who were sexually and physically abused and did not go out and do these horrible things or repeats acts that were done to them. I feel nothing excuses this I have no sympathy whats so ever for the person who did this. My heart goes out to this little girl and her family I cannot even began to imagine the pain and hurt and yes the rage they all must be feeling right now. Those are the people who really need our prayers. when are we going to stop giving criminals more concern and rights the victims no one deserves this. NO one. How about an eye for an eye.