Susan Boyle Earlier Recording Uncovered

Times Online: A recording made ten years ago by the unlikely Britain's Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle has been uncovered.

The sudden singing star's spokeswoman confirmed this morning that an emotional recording of Cry Me A River which hit YouTube late last night is the 48-year-old Scot.

She reportedly covered the blues ballad for a charity album in 1999, partly funded by the tiny Whitburn Community Council in West Lothian, where she lives. Only 1,000 copies of the CD were pressed.

The surprisingly seductive recording for The Millennium Celebration compilation album drew another flood of tributes this morning, as Susan Boyle Mania continued a week after she was discovered on ITV's Saturday-night talent show.

The frumpy but talented unemployed singer, who confessed last weekend that she had never been kissed, has become a world-wide media darling since her Britain's Got Talent performance of the Les Miserables song I Dreamed A Dream became an internet hit.

Oprah Winfrey is apparently lining up an interview with the singer, who was complimented by Broadway icon Patti LuPone during an interview with the US programme The Early Show this morning.

LuPone, whose I Dreamed A Dream is widely considered the definitive version, told Boyle in a satellite-cross that she had "pluck", as a raft of other US broadcasters and newspapers lined up to interview her.

Earlier this week, Hollywood actress Demi Moore confessed she had been reduced to tears by Boyle's appearance on Britain's Got Talent, telling fans about it on her Twitter blog.

Boyle was quickly written off by the talent show's live audience on Saturday night when she arrived on stage, drably dressed, and stumbled over her words as she talked to the judges.

Her admission that she would like to emulate the West End star Elaine Paige was met with scorn, but when she began to sing, the crowd turned. Many rose to their feet, along with judge Amanda Holden, as she delivered the bold and moving performance.

Boyle has since said she hopes that the way she surprised the Britain's Got Talent audience will serve as a lesson to society.

"Modern society is too quick to judge people on their appearances," she said.

"There is not much you can do about it; it is the way they think; it is the way they are. But maybe this could teach them a lesson, or set an example."

Her sudden rise to fame has surpassed even that of of previous Britain's Got Talent winner Paul Potts, who went from plain mobile phone salesman to successful recording artist.

The show's judge and music mogul Simon Cowell is reportedly working on a record deal for Boyle.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Woman Kills Unborn Child, Daughter
Wendi April 17, 2009, 6:45 PM

Just awsome!! Love her voice…good for her.

Anne April 17, 2009, 6:47 PM

Wow, she sounds so much like the late Patsy Cline. What an amazing life and incredible talent. I hope fame doesn’t spoil things for her.

Anonymous April 17, 2009, 7:17 PM

It’s been a long, long, time since I melted over a voice so crystal clear. I think Susan is so wonderful, inside and out. What a breath of fresh air in today’s messed up world. May you follow your dreams and with God’s Speed, may they come true. Just stay you and thank you for your inspiration. - Steve

jim April 17, 2009, 11:14 PM

Goes to prove, you can’t judge a book by its cover!

Maria Blanca B. Malig April 18, 2009, 12:48 AM

susan is truly blessed, the first time i hear her singing cry me a river i wasmoved because it was soo beautiful,heartfelt and exquisite, truly a gift and this goes beyond looks, why it took a while for her to reach fame? only God know like her comment on the Britains Got Talents audience and staff..well it’s a lesson worth waiting for..

Anonymous April 18, 2009, 1:38 AM

Susan Boyles’s rendition of ‘Cry Me A River’ is so beautiful, so moving and brought tears to my eyes. Her voice is so clear, so sensual,and truly a gift. I cant wait until I hear the cd.

Marian

Drew April 18, 2009, 12:08 PM

WOW WOW WOW, what a inspiration to the world…..a great role model for our youngsters….YOU don’t have to be beautiful or perfect the way society tells us….Susan God bless you and please stay yourself….YOU are more beautiful then all the fake and plastic folks out there….YOU have inner beauty, and that lasts….I can hardly wait for more of your beautiful voice….

Olga O'Campo April 18, 2009, 12:12 PM

nothing to say except WOW!!!!!!!!!! and keep on singing.

Jerry Johnson April 18, 2009, 9:51 PM

A beauty inside and out with an angel’s voice. I could tell from the first moment I saw her that she had a heart of gold. A true angel if there ever was one.

Patricia Ralston April 18, 2009, 11:38 PM

I have not heard anything so moving in a long, long time. Susan is so refreshing after all the other new music that has come out in some time. I hope she has a wonderful life and everything continues to go her way without changing her because she is a very unique person with a wonderful talent that people should be able to enjoy for years to come. Great job Susan!!! Keep on knocken their socks off!!!!!

llmank April 19, 2009, 2:51 AM

I usually never watch competitive shows,
this probably won’t change,but when I saw miss susan on the news and internet I saw a person not only with talent but someone who has integrity,personality.
she will do well,hopefully she will never change,she was extraordinary before some talent show found her.
Lauri

gloria April 19, 2009, 3:59 AM

Susan, I am floored by your talent. WOW!
I have watched the performance over and over every day, just because you WoW me with your rendition of the Les Mis song. I will buy every CD you put out, I will be at your concerts, I will follow you through your new Career….Where the Heck have you been all my life….you are an inspiration non the less. Brittney and all you stupid no talents out there…..take a lesson from our Beautiful Susan…Sorry but I am so happy to see this come into our lives….Wake up people, this is talent and beauty at it’s best…learn from it….Susan, you are truly beautiful and wonderful….Tears for joy

vonnie April 19, 2009, 1:39 PM

miss boyle,why did you wait soooo long to be heard?you certainly brought more than a beautiful voice to me.u go girl and don’t look back.

Don April 19, 2009, 8:04 PM

Move over Julie London

Ginny April 19, 2009, 10:51 PM

Susan, I have NEVER been so moved by a singing voice in my 60 some years. It just gives me such tears of joy to listen to you, I can listen to you over and over again. Cannot wait to hear more of your beautiful voice. Just listened to your rendition of “Cry me a River”, most beautiful version I have heard. You sure Godsmacked the world with your angelic talent. BRAVO !!!

bj April 20, 2009, 4:47 AM

i think that the human race has forgot each of us has talent reguardless of looks
yours is of voice to sing pure and clean —thank you !
i seen the look on everyones face before you sang and i was ashamed of humanity
its high time we changed our act cleaned it up got real again each human is beautiful if we really look at them and each has a hidden talent waiting to come out
thank you susan dont let them change you make you over you are prefect now

Monique April 20, 2009, 6:47 PM

WOW. You are incredible. I am a Patsy Cline fan and you made me just melt in my seat. Wow.

Barry Cohen April 20, 2009, 8:07 PM

“Cry Me a River” produces a torrent of emotion! I can foresee collections of torch songs, broadway hits and tributes to great past vocalists.
I admit enoying to stare at lovely Britney, Christina, Ashley and the younger Country music stars. But audio is separate and distict. I cannot recall anyone more popularly distinct over the past fifty years as Susan Boyle. When current stars looks have faded and been forgotten, the voice of Susan Boyle will continue being reproduced. Thank you Susan.

Bonnie Capan April 21, 2009, 1:35 AM

I am sitting at my desk with tears running down my face, completely in awe of your beautiful, crystal voice. You are an inspiration to anyone who ever “dreamed a dream” and had the courage to pursue it. Bless you as we are blessed that you have shared your amazing gift with us!

AM  April 23, 2009, 1:49 PM