Teacher Sends Boy Home With His Own Poo

Washington kindergarten teacher does a sh*tty job.

teacher_sends_boy_home_pm.jpg
Imagine opening up your kindergartner's backpack at the end of the school day and finding a bag of poo and a note from the teacher that reads, "This little turd was on the floor in my room."

That's what happened to parents of a 5-year-old student at Apple Valley Elementary in Yakima, Washington. "I'm still kind of in shock over this, because why would somebody do this? It's disgusting!" said the boy's father, who wishes to remain anonymous.

According to the Yakima Herald, the child's father admits his son had a couple of accidents in the classroom in the past, but always sends the boy with a change of clothes.

Former grade school teacher Christine Bartsch says she can understand how a teacher might reach the point of frustration if the child had repeated accidents in the classroom.

"Kids who aren't potty trained shouldn't be at school," she says. But Bartsch clarifies, "I of course wouldn't take it to that level of sending the 'poo' home. I might think about it, but I wouldn't do it."

Representatives from Apple Valley Elementary School refused to comment, but that doesn't mean you can't. Tell us what you think of this teacher's punishment!

next: Recession Abortions on the Rise
Uncle Sleazy April 25, 2009, 4:00 PM

This child deserved to be made fun of in front of the entire class. That teacher should have made him eat his “accident” to teach him a lesson about bowel control. Kids these days have no respect for anything. They should visit Crap2000.com along with their parents to see how to behave.

Anonymous April 25, 2009, 6:39 PM

If you don’t have your kid potty trained by 5, you’re a loser.

Anonymous April 25, 2009, 6:40 PM

pooper dooper

mercaties April 25, 2009, 11:01 PM

I HAVE TO COMMENT!! This story is missing some details. I live in the city where this happend so I’am very familiar with this case. This child is a special needs child!! He is not a typical five year old he is potty trained but has a diffilcult time verbally communicating that he needs to go to the bathroom!! He is always sent to school with a change of clothes and his father has had to go to the school on many occasions to “clean up a mess.” I don’t think the teacher should be fired but she should deffinately be given a disiplinary notice, and should be dealing with older children not kindergardners.

Sad Commentary April 26, 2009, 1:25 AM

I have read news online for probably 15 years or more. I have never registered to log comments in all that time. This story obviously struck a chord and my heart pangs - for the child, for society, and for all humanity who would believe punishment was meted out correctly to this child and the family.

This is atrocious, inhumane behavior for a human being. I am appalled and embarrassed for humanity. Of course it is not societal norm or acceptable to “poo” in public. We are talking about a kindergartener in this situation; and if that were not enough explanation, a special needs child. The teacher should have removed the accident and sent a note home to the parents; something to the effect “I wanted you to know your child had an accident in class today” to make the parents aware of a potential issue. If this situation were to occur frequently, there obviously is an issue that needs attention (which needs not to be addressed by a teacher that seems incapable of civilized decent behavior.)

The teacher should be charged with a crime; if nothing else inhumane behavior. When we lose our compassion and civility as human beings, we suffer a catastrophic loss. And for any who believe this was proper action on the teacher’s part, perhaps stating your opinion - after turning the focus inward and evaluation if you are indeed of such superiority that your life and those around you are capable of withstanding an unreasonable and intolerant yardstick - would serve to support your opinion that you believe this is anything close to decent and caring behavior. We humans are at the top of the chain because of certain distinctions - one being that we do not react to those around us with animalistic behavior. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn this teacher’s own parents raised their child with these same inappropriate and horrible practices. This teacher obviously has unresolved issues and anger, which is evident from her note.

Absolutely horrible statement on society. I am so saddened to read this story and the comments surrounding it. Dejected, and dispirited.Having no reverence for every single soul puts society on a slippery slope I do not believe we really wish for.

And to quash any accusations - you might be surprised to know I am always in the forefront of critiquing society for becoming so entitled, soft, and overprotected. However I do not consider foregoing human decency as a step in the direction of toughening up our feeling so entitled and being spoiled.

How many people in support of the teacher are in support because of egotistical, image issues or concerns or hangups they have within themselves? Or because they really believe this child was beyond acceptable human behavior (which assuredly he was not)?

Jill@ModernMommyBLog April 26, 2009, 1:27 AM

Some people just shouldn’t be allowed around children.
This poor kid.

Sandra Gallagher April 26, 2009, 7:40 AM

The teacher should not have done this but at the same time a child at five should be well toilet trained never mind potty trained by now and know that this is something that is not done

heather April 26, 2009, 6:26 PM

I think the teacher may have went a little far but teachers are in the classroom to teach reading, writing and arithmetic, not toilet training. The father of this child obciously knows that his child has a problem. My question is if this child and other’s like him are pottying in their pants why are they not wearing the pull ups that keep everything contained. I think the teacher should have made the father come in and clean up the mess while reporting to the school the problem.

mercaties April 26, 2009, 7:37 PM

I WILL SAY THIS ONCE MORE I LIVE IN THE TOWN WHERE THIS HAPPENED THIS IS A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD! HE IS POTTY TRAINED BUT HAS A DIFFICULT TIME VERBALIZING THAT HE HAS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!

Crystal April 26, 2009, 10:10 PM

I have an eight-year-old son in the third grade. He is incredibly bright - his teacher says he’s the smartest kid in the class. He also suffers from encopresis and enuresis.

We have been to doctors; I send clothes to school with him every day; I worry about him every day. My husband and I are not lax parents.

There are some mysteries in life that can’t be explained, cured, medicated, or spanked away. You just have to deal with it the best you can. Humiliation doesn’t work; spanking doesn’t work; grounding doesn’t work; meds don’t work; ignoring it doesn’t work; nothing seems to work.

But you know what? You love your kid and you do everything you can to help him and you hope and pray to God that there will be people in your child’s life that will love him and help him the best they can, too.

Then you pray that senseless, moronic, bigoted nincompoops like most of the commenters here never procreate because there are way too many bullying idiots in the world already.

Carrie April 27, 2009, 11:43 AM

What if your child had been in this kid’s class? If my daughter came home and told me that a she saw a boy poop in her classroom floor, I would be livid! The kid didn’t have an accident in his pants. He pooped on the floor of the classroom, obviously knowing he needed to go potty. Did the teacher go to far? Yes. However, 5 year olds who are not yet fully potty trained should not be attending school.

Another Mother... April 27, 2009, 4:19 PM

You have to also keep in mind that there have been previous instances where the child has had accidents.

I am wondering if the teacher has tried repeatedly to correct the promblem, and has talked to the parents several times.

The message was clearly to the parents, “Time to teach your kid how to use the loo!”.

The kid should be potty trained!!! Does this happen at the kids home too? Lack of parenting skills at home? Maybe.

Tina April 28, 2009, 1:52 PM

Wow Abbi! You should get yourself fixed so you don’t have kids. You are insensitive and immature.
And Kelly, I’m sure glad you aren’t a teacher anymore. We don’t need stupid people teaching our children! GOOD teachers go into that profession to actually TEACH the kids, not for the money.

Tina April 28, 2009, 1:53 PM

Exactly VeggieMomma!! I’m with you!!!

Heather April 28, 2009, 1:57 PM

Amen to Crystal! I hope things work out for your little sweetie! I agree with EVERYTHING you said!!!

B April 28, 2009, 8:07 PM

I’m a teacher and a parent. I do believe that a child should be potty trained before entering preschool and, especially, kindergarten. As for medical conditions, I think most teachers would gladly work with any student and his/her parents. However, in this case it sounds like the boy just wasn’t completely potty trained and his parents (who seemed to be aware of this fact) should have considered this before sending him to school. As for the teacher, she had obviously reached her breaking point. I agree with the first grade teacher, I would have thought about it but wouldn’t have done it. Something to think about…this story only tells us what the teacher did and the dad’s opinion. We don’t really know what kind of teacher she is or what the boy’s parents are like.

KF April 28, 2009, 11:07 PM

The kid is 5, what’s the teacher’s excuse? Regardless of the reason the child did what he did, the teacher handled the matter in an immature manner.

Anonymous May 13, 2009, 2:58 PM

Does anybody read these before commenting. The child is a special needs child with communication issues. As for those of you looking for help with medical issues you might try an acupuncturist. I don’t know if it can help but it does with elderly people with incontinence. Make sure they are ACAOM certified. Chiropractors and MDs have loop holes that allow them not to have that certification.

Ritsuko August 28, 2009, 1:57 AM

So close to the way people rub the dogs nose in their own poo… This teachers inability to draw healthy boundries of what’s damaging and corrective for the child is troubling. Maybe if the teacher has a flat tire she should wear her tire around her back all the way home with a note that says Watch where you drive.

Ritsuko August 28, 2009, 2:04 AM

Maybe boy child was coming down with the flu or ate something that didnt agree with his body… Exposure to human waste sure is a health risk to the child what if he got a disease from the teachers choice of action.