The Hills Are ALIVE!

Diana Mizota: You know you like to watch. You do it alone. In the dark. You don't talk about it with your friends. You hide it from your husband. No one has to know.

woman emmbarrassed of her tv show

Hi, my name is Diane and I watch "The Hills."

MTV won't admit it, but a sizeable portion of "Hills'" viewers is comprised of women in their 30s. (I could swear I've seen a diaper commercial in there) Smart, professional, otherwise clear-thinking women like myself. So what keeps us coming back for more?

In the exhausting exercise of juggling family, household and career, (I'm writing from a bench in Disneyland while my son naps) sometimes we really need to check out. And in lieu of hard drugs or alcohol, the dialogue on this show does the trick. Conversations so banal they're mind numbing, yet strangely comforting. When I plop down on the couch with a chocolate pudding, "The Hills" is like a warm bath for the brain. Speidi take me away!

It harkens back to a simpler time, when we spent our time chasing the wrong guys, weeding through friends for keepers, trying every fashion trend that comes along. (Wet look leggings at work, Heidi? Really? ) It's part escapist fantasy, train wreck relationship bible, glossy fashion fix, and homage to our past as self-obsessed twenty-somethings. I'll cop to envying their wealth of clothes and time, but the appeal is that I wouldn't trade places with them for anything. The twenties are a lot like Disneyland; it may seem like the happiest place on earth, and it's a heck of a lot of fun to visit, but no one seriously wants to live there.

As the 5th and possible final season of this guilty little pleasure begins Monday, April 6th, I will be watching, alone, in the dark on my couch with my chocolate pudding. I know some of you will be watching too, even if you'll never admit it...you know who you are.

next: Angelina and Madonna Go Head to Head
Renee April 6, 2009, 3:48 PM

I admit it!! I watch a lot of junk reality-type tv shows because it lets me space out and requires no thought! Enjoy!

Leila April 6, 2009, 4:37 PM

I watch it alone. My husband would make fun of me if he knew that I am a reality show junkie. I’ve been watching “Rock of Love” with Bret Michaels. Next week the winner is chosen, the winner gets a guy who wears eyeliner, fake hair, and a fake tan.

anonymous April 6, 2009, 4:52 PM

I’m addicted to bad reality shows, great way to zone out. My husband even watches a couple with me now and then. Can’t stand the dating ones though.

anony  April 7, 2009, 12:26 AM

I got totally addicted to Rock of Love Charm School with Sharon Osbourne. I hope she does another season.

ashley April 7, 2009, 8:08 AM

I don’t like the reality shows on VHI except for Celeb Rehab and Sober House which I watched late at night and over and over!! I love the Kardashians and my hubby always tells me how trashy it is and then last night I was cooking dinner and walked in the bedroom and he was watching the reruns!!! By the way, Kim looks weird this season, I don’t know something about her face, like she’s had work done!! I also watched every episode of Denise Richards!!!! Hell’s Kitchen is our favorite of all time though!!

Anonymous April 7, 2009, 6:42 PM

OMG!I cant stop lauhging…I sat last night in the dark feeding my 2 month old and watching the Hills! It truely is like taking a soothing bath.Love it.

Nic April 14, 2009, 1:39 PM

I SECOND THIS!!! I’m a woman in her 30s, and I love The Hills! It’s like reliving my youth from the comfort of the sofa. It’s compulsive viewing with beautiful people, lovely clothes and great hair! And plus I’m in the UK so the added appeal is seeing how those California young folk live, VERY differently!! I love it!