Tween Trend: Modesty

First, purity rings became a fashion statement. Now dressing modestly is becoming more and more popular. Moms, rejoice!

tween_trend_modesty_pm.jpg

The Los Angeles Times reports that the "tame tween" phenomenon is sweeping the nation. Edgy is out, and sweet and sensible is in.

No more bare midriffs. No Bratz-inspired ho wear. Now, tweens are wearing longer shirts and less makeup, and -- GASP! -- looking their age.

(Hold on a second ... the moms in the office are all doing the happy dance.)

The LA Times cites Miley Cyrus as a prime example here. In her new movie, she often wears no makeup. Nickelodeon's research team interviewed tons of tweens before launching "True Jackson VP" (a show set in the fashion world). They found that today's tweens are very conscious of not upsetting their parents with their wardrobe. They say that's because the cultural gap between kids and their parents is now narrower than ever.

Moms of tweens: Do you notice your kids are dressing more modestly?

next: New Classes Teach Kids How to Be Nice
Anonymous April 7, 2009, 4:31 PM

im gonna do the happy dance as well. we dont need our young girls out there showing off to much. kids NEED to be kids and not worry about how much tummy to show off. I MEAN COME ON PEOPLE ENJOY YOUR KIDS WHILE YOU CAN no reason to make them grow up so fast.

Wendi April 7, 2009, 5:16 PM

My almost 14 yr old has ALWAYS dressed very sweetly. She does not like to show her tummy at all and does not feel comfortable in short shorts or super tight clothes. I really believe this is because I taught her while she was young that it is just not right to show your body off like that and then I set the example but not doing it myself. I’m happy that many more girls are doing the same.

v April 7, 2009, 7:30 PM

I really hope that this supposed trend holds on. My niece who is now 14 has been wearing short shorts and tiny tops for years- partly because of cheerleading. I have always thought it was a little too much (i guess too little would be a better term.) Now that she is older she is wearing REALLY sexy stuff. I went to the movies with her and some friends not too long ago and she had on a pair of skinny jeans and silk tube top and a pair of peep toe booties. Her friends were dressed just a trendy in dresses and heels. They all looked really beautiful and definatly very stylish but I was shocked that any of them were allowed out of the house. I am 25 and don’t dress that sexy for a movie- and rarely even when I go downtown to a club.

Jill (the other one) April 7, 2009, 8:31 PM

I think it’s funny they use Miley Cyrus as an example … she may be dressed modestly in her movie, but I’ve seen pictures of her out and about and for the most part her wardrobe verges on the trashy.

Shelley April 7, 2009, 11:33 PM

I hope it’s a trend that makes it into the stores because with two daughters, 14 and 15, I know how hard it is to find clothes that are modest. We call it the tripple shopping threat; trying to find clothes that are 1. modest 2. attractive and 3. affordable. If any retailers are paying attention…HELP! We almost always have to settle for two out of three.

Anonymous April 7, 2009, 11:33 PM

YAY. I am so glad. I hate hate hate seeing young girls dressing like strippers! It is so hard to find my toddler (yes TODDLER) appropriate length shorts and clothing.

Ju April 13, 2009, 11:45 PM

When my toddler’s dresses started to get a bit short, I threw a pair of leggings on and turned it into a shirt. Which reminds me, I need to find some bloomers for her 2 Spring dresses, you can see her blue panties through the dress (it goes to her calves)!

m July 7, 2009, 4:23 PM

im 11years old nd i kno the fastion world.the fashion world right now is hollister, abercrombie nd fitch, aeropostal, nd american egale.tht’s all ur seein on teens nd pre teens!so parents dont get to excited cuz all those stores sell “sexy” stuff.they also sell “safe” stuff too.but dont huver over ur teens nd preteens.let them wear wht they wanna wear nd trust them.cuz tht’s one of the best things yu can do with ur kids, nd thier gunna except tht. trust me i wud kno!!im one of them!! my mom doesnt huver me nd watch my every move she lets me live lose nd i axcept tht. i nvr take advanage of it. nd ur kids wud prob. be the same way….

annie July 28, 2009, 8:42 AM

this is stupid. if anything, modesty on girls is getting worse. miley cyrus kind of has to dress modestly because she’s an inspiration for little kids, but that doesn’t reflect normal girls.

Chekira February 11, 2010, 5:56 PM

I’m 10 and dressing modest is really big at my school adn basically all around me!I know every body is wearing ambercrombie,fitch,aeropostal,american eagle,and hollister,but that just means you can dress it up a little bit with modesty!Take me,my mom let’s me go pick out clothes because she taught me how to be a “Fashionista”(lol..)at age 4.She can trust me on what to get.Say I see a pair of skinny jeans I LOVE!I’ll look at the size and make sure by almost the end of the school year,they arent hugging my butt so tight,I can hardly sit in them!Maybe you guys should check out The Rubyz.Look at their style.It’s modest,but still very up to date!There’s Cammie(18) and Alexis(15),I honestly look up to them for help with my outfits.So what I’m trying to say is,parents,teach your kids at an age that they can remember things and they can take it on in life with them forever.And NOT dress like how strippers and girls on the streets dress.And be able to trust them when you go shopping to leave them alone to find something to wear.Teens and Pre-Teens,you should be able to have your parents trust you to go find something VERY CUTE,and still be able to cover up what needs to be covered.That includes summer.I know how all the short shorts,mini skirts,tank tops,halter tops,and more come out.Wear that when you go to the pools and things!But for typical days,just throw on some short or skirts that when you sit down they don’t come up to that spot.

miley cyrus party in the usa mediafire November 18, 2010, 11:43 AM