Twin Sisters Charged in Mother's Death

CBS2.com: Justine Rosales and Jasmine Rosales have each been charged with a felony count of elder or dependent adult abuse resulting in death in connection with the 2007 death of their 43-year-old diabetic mother, with whom they lived in Covina.

twinmurder270.jpg
The sisters were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of these charges.

Justine Rosales and Jasmine Rosales were responsible for providing care for their mother, Naomi Mendez at the time of her death, said Sgt. Trevor Gaumer of the Covina Police Department.

Mendez was a diabetic who required daily insulin injections and also suffered from several other medical issues.

Mendez had a limited ability to speak and required a walker to move around.

She required the assistance of her daughters with bathing, using the bathroom and eating, Gaumer said.

The investigation began on Feb. 27, 2007, at 6:30 p.m. when Covina police were dispatched with county fire personnel to a call of a dead body inside a home on the 1300 block of N. Edenfield Avenue in Covina, Gaumer said.

Mendez's body was found naked in a room littered with urine and feces.

There were no obvious signs of physical abuse, but her body weighed 78 pounds.

Justine Rosales was the last person to see the victim alive the day before.

She called her older sister, Erica Espinosa, 25, who lived in Montebello.

Erica arrived and called 911.

Justine Rosales apparently made no effort to seek help for her mother, Gaumer said.

An autopsy found that Mendez had died as a result of neglect by her caretakers and ruled the death a homicide.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Heidi Klum Opens Up About Baby #4
sara April 24, 2009, 10:53 AM

cant believe that they did this to anyone let alone their mum the person who bought them into this world and nurtured them really cant comprehenend its disgusting

Puck 101 April 24, 2009, 4:45 PM

Coupla cuties here boy ! Do I hear Illegal Alien , Ruby ? 2007 , hunh ? swift Justice again ? Covina ? Is that in California ? WEll, if so, I don’t find that hard to believe. After all the land of the free and the home of O.J. Hey girls, just get a couple of mexis for your jury, and you’re home free…

myopinion April 24, 2009, 5:48 PM

These two “women” are beyond selfish. They murdered their mom, by neglecting her medical & personal needs. They didn’t even have the decency to allow her one ounce of dignity. She was found naked with feces, and urine all around her. They are disgusting human beings, and should not see the light of day!!

Anonymous April 24, 2009, 6:18 PM

First of all I would like to respond tp puck 101, these girls are not illegal aliens that only proves how narrow minded you are. They were born here, what makes you think otherwise? So sad what these girls did, if mom became such a burden, they should have turned her over to the twin sister…..yes, the mother was also a twin. another option was that they could have sent her to a convalesent home for the help and therapy she needed. Now they need to face the consequences for their actions.

Kids can be cruel April 24, 2009, 8:49 PM

I wonder what specific signs the coroner found that had to be from neglect. She was malnourished, yes, but that is actually pretty common with the elderly. I agree with everyone that these girls are certainly horrible people, and should have cared for their mother, but it’s very possible their mother didn’t want to go to a nursing home (also, they would most likely not have had a place to live anymore, doesn’t excuse their behavior but helps to explain it). Too bad these girls weren’t raised better (I know that will make everyone mad, but she did raise some monsters)

Anonymous April 25, 2009, 2:05 AM

The mother was invalid not elderly. She was unable to care for herself. She couldn’t feed herself, she couldn’t go to the bathroom by herself and above all, she was unable to give herself her insulin injections since she was afterall, a diabetic. Now if she was able to move around and do things for herself then it would be a different story but she couldn’t. I think this would justify neglect.

anonymous April 25, 2009, 6:29 AM

these girls are pretty bad, i once knew someone who went to middle school with both the twins years ago,they were really bad, they were always causing fights and looking for trouble. no one wanted to befriend them really, i think they also came from a broken home. whatever the case, these animals need to be put away for good for what they did to their mother.they need to just rot in jail for life.

anonymous April 25, 2009, 6:44 AM

let me just put this out there, these girls are mexican but they are not speaking for all mexicans. these whores were filthy,dirty,stupid and uneducated. again, i did in fact know someone who went to school with the twins,so i have a different perspective than most of you. these girls just happened to look like they jumped the border, but they didn’t. i truly have no sympathy for these monsters, they were bad then and bad now…

Anonymous-1 April 25, 2009, 12:07 PM

Naomi was a neighbor of mine many years ago. She was also a twin and a single mother of 4 at the time. The twins were about 5 years old. Sorry to say but Naomi was not the greatest example to her kids. She loved to party and was a heavy drinker. She would leave her 10 year old alone to watch her other some children so she can go out for the night. So these kids went through alot growing up. The twins became single moms at in early age also. Not your typical upbringing let me tell you. Life caught up to Naomi and she developed many other illnessess. This mother had diabetes, Cirrhosis in the liver, hepititas, cancer and other health problems. Im not defending the twins and should be held responsilbe to some degree but murder is a little to much.

Anonymous April 25, 2009, 2:04 PM

All of these illnesses have just come out except for the one that made her invalid - her stroke. If the girls had no intention of caring for her why not let the hospital send her to a convalesent hospital where she would have received proper care and therapy. All I hear is MONEY. I’m sure they were receiving money from the state to take care of her. You know if the girls were brought up as was stated above, and I do not doubt it, then this would justify a premediated act - pay back time. “You can’t fend for yourself now its our turn”. I don’t know if anyone will agree with me but to me, this is murder.

abagail April 26, 2009, 1:56 AM

I agree, the twins are guilty of murder. Even if the weren’t raised right,it doesn’t excuse them of this crime. I knew a couple of girls who had physical fights in school with these twins. I never knew them personally, but i did attend school with them years ago. It’s just so sad what is happening in this day and age. I don’t feel sorry for jasmine and justine, i knew they were bad influences at the time, i thought maybe they would by any luck grow up to be good women. I don’t know how any normal, sane person can do this to their own mother. If all these girls cared about was the money their mother was receiving from the state, to take care of their mother, they are monsters!!! monsters!, monsters!, i’m sorry, but i don’t feel bad for them, they need to rott in jail…

Anonymous April 26, 2009, 3:54 PM

It’s such a disgraceful end to one’s life. I met the twins when they were just children, went to school with their older sister and knew their mother through family. It amazes me that things can take such a horrendous turn for the worse. While we are products of our upbringing and environment to some extent, we are ultimately still accountable for the decisions we make. In spite of the vicious cycle of recklessness that was repeated in their mother’s, and on into their own lives, they will have to suffer the legal consequences.

Chris April 27, 2009, 3:53 PM

Response to PUCK101: why, why, why the race card! this can and does happen in all races, cultures. Look at Dahlmer, McVehhe, Smith and so on. The girls great-great grandfather fought for this country in WW1, thier great-grandfather was a lawyer in L.A. way back, and thier grandfather and grandmother were outsanding citizens in L.A. too. Naomi and her twin sister were great students back in the 70’s. Those photos of the twins show someone under severe stress, how would you look if you were being charged with the murder of your mother!

anonymous April 28, 2009, 5:08 PM

Okay PUCK 101 can’t pull the race card here, so I wouldn’t stress too much about it. These girls are mexican true, they are short, fat and ugly, i see that, that does not mean that all mexicans are going around neglecting their mother’s health to where they let them expire. I’ve never liked these twins and, I have no sympathy for them, I am not defending them in any way. mexicans are not the only race committing crimes. There are white people, asians,african americans committing crimes every minute. WATCH THE NEWS more often, before you make comments and assumptions you can’t back up, I’m going to tell it to you like this, the race card can be pulled out on anyone anytime, on any crime…. douche bag.

Anonymous April 28, 2009, 8:42 PM

All right, I’m with you..douche bag Puck 101 is an ignorant fool. That is like us saying that all whites are lazy drug addicts that would rather walk in the streets all dirty asking for money instead of looking for a job.. Puck 101 should think before speaking. But getting back to the issue on hand hopefully these girls will get what they deserve. I can’t even imagine what Naomi must have gone through the months before her death.

YOLANDA G. April 29, 2009, 10:39 PM

I WAS IN JAIL WITH BOTH OF THESE GIRLS AND I WAS READING THEIR BODY LANGUAGE SINCE THEY 1ST WALKED IN THE WAITING CELL @ THE TWIN TOWERS UP UNTIL WE WERE HOUSED @ THE linwood STATION AND THE SMALLER one JUSTINE WAS DEPRESSED AND CRYING SO NIEVE 2 A JAIL BECAUSE SHE’S NEVER BEEN 2 A JAIL BEFORE. THE OLDER TWIN WAS ACTING LIKE SHE DIDN’T CARE, another inmate asked her if they were gang related and the older twin said, “YEAH WE GANG BANG AND I GANG BANG FOR BOTH OF US ME AND JUSTINE.” WHILE JUSTINE WAS SITTING IN A CORNER CRYING HER EYES OUT PLEADING FOR HELP AND SHE MISSED HER 2 SET OF TWINS(KIDS), INCLUDING HER MOM AND BOYFRIEND. NOW 2 ME IF U ASK ME I THINK THE OLDER ONE DID IT AND JUSTINE DOESN’T HAVE ANYTHING 2 DO WITH THE DEATH OF HER MOTHER. I BELIEVE SHE HAD A PANIC ATTACK AND DIDN’T KNOW WHAT 2 DO OR HOW 2 ACT WHEN SHE SAW HER MOTHER DEAD AND OBVIOUSLY HAD MORE TRUST IN HER OLDER SISTER WHICH IS WHY THAT WAS THE 1ST PERSON IN MIND SHE CALLED. AND THE OTHER OLDER SISTER LOOKS AND ACTS SELFISH. SHE WANTS ATTENTION AND IF U ASK ME LIKE I ASK MYSELF, “WHERE WAS THE OLDER SISTER WHEN HER MOTHER DIED.” AND ONE MORE THINK JUSTINE MENTIONED WHEN I ASKED HER HOW OLD R UR BABIES

Anonymous April 30, 2009, 12:48 AM

in dont think it matters what theses monster went through when they were younger they are murders and should go to hell for killing there mom!!!!!!!! omg 78 pounds and with no cloths whats up with that i dont fell sorry for them rot in hell for all i care!!!

Anonymous April 30, 2009, 12:49 AM

YOLANDA G. April 30, 2009, 12:58 AM

trisha May 7, 2009, 4:44 AM

Response to puck 101, when you say things like that, it really seems to highlight your stupidity…