twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Woman Sues for Waxing Mishap

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This
wax_lawsuit_270.jpg

Fox News: A New Jersey woman, who said she got second and third-degree burns after using hot wax made by Sally Hansen, is now going after the company.

Carmen Canas filed a $160 million lawsuit against Sally Hansen and its manufacturer Wednesday in Brooklyn District Court in New York, WPIX.com reported.

In the lawsuit, Canas claims the hot wax boiled over in its container as she attempted to remove it from her microwave. As a result, Canas said she sustained severe burns on her lower back, breast and right thigh. The 38-year-old went for treatment at St. Mary's Hospital in Hoboken, N.J. and was later transferred to a burn unit of another hospital, according to the news station.

"It is unconscionable, how multi-million dollar corporations are placing such dangerous products into the stream of commerce without taking into consideration the user's safety," her attorney, Phil Rizzuto told WPIX. .

In response to the lawsuit, a spokesperson for the parent company of Sally Hansen told WPIX the company "has not yet been served with the complaint and has not had an opportunity to review it."


next: Children's Ride Topples at Fair
5 comments so far | Post a comment now
Amber April 18, 2009, 12:13 PM

Can we say frivolous? Really, 160 million is outrageous. Could she not see boiling liquid. People should not get a payout for general stupidity. Any thing to make a buck though right?

Annette April 18, 2009, 1:02 PM

actually, when you heat liquid in the microwave (or melt a solid, such as chocolate chips or wax), it can easily heat to the boiling point but you won’t know it until you move the container and disturb the surface of the liquid causing it to bubble. However, I’m positive those wax kits have instructions and warnings about overheating. I feel for the woman, but the lawsuit seems excessive.

emarket April 18, 2009, 2:06 PM

I think the attorney sued for that amount to get everyone’s attention. The woman probably has no expectation of recovering this. It looks like her burns are very bad and the company should realize people could over heat it. I am sure they could design the container in such a way to prevent such accidents from happening. I hope she gets enough money to fairly compensate her, but I also hope the company gets hit enough to make them care about us.

chris April 18, 2009, 2:18 PM

I don’t understand how the hot wax got on her breast and her lower back…how could that happen? Are her breast on her backside? It seems to me if she spilled it, then it would have gone down the front of her and if that’s the case, then how did it also spill on the backside of her? Just asking…

Dara S April 18, 2009, 9:50 PM

maybe she shouldn’t have microwaved it for longer. and it even says to let cool. give me a break. i should sue ‘first response’ for an inaccurate pregnancy test as well..


Back to top >>
advertisement