Your Bra Size: The Truth May Surprise You

NY Times: FIRST there was economic inflation. Then there was grade inflation. Now comes cup inflation.

growingboobs270.jpg
While clothes designers have whittled down dress sizes so that even a musclebound woman can wiggle into a size 2, brassiere makers are defying fashion convention by selling bras with bigger cup sizes. These days, many women -- to their shock or glee -- are finding that DD is becoming the new C.

At Wacoal America, one of the largest bra makers in the country, 36DD is on track to replace 36D as its most popular size in 2009. (Three years ago it was 36C.) Bare Necessities, an online lingerie retailer, said 34DD was its No. 10 best-selling size last year, up from No. 17 in 2002. And this fall Elle Macpherson Intimates will introduce its first collection for fuller-busted women, offering cup sizes from D to G.

"It's the ascendancy of the DDs," said Noah Wrubel, the chief executive of Bare Necessities. "The bras that women are wearing these days are not their mothers' bras."

Theories abound as to why women's cups seem to be (forgive the pun) spilling over. Some ascribe the difference to a confluence of health and beauty trends that have accelerated over time. A 2007 study of adult women by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that the prevalence of obesity -- someone having a body mass index of 30 or more -- has increased 2.1 percent since 2004, to 35.3 percent. Breast augmentation, too, is still a popular procedure, despite the recession. And age and hormones play havoc with baby boomers' bust sizes, as well. But most manufacturers and lingerie shop owners say the phenomenon is due to the fact that more women are being fitted correctly. They call it the Oprah effect. Since 2005, when Oprah Winfrey devoted a show to how to buy the right size bra, the number of women seeking bra fittings has soared.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: I Ate My Baby's Placenta!
Anonymous April 10, 2009, 4:11 PM

boobies

Anonymous April 10, 2009, 4:57 PM

What ever happened with the victoria’s secret bra lawsuits?

ashley April 11, 2009, 7:57 AM

Huh!! I wish I could say I had a nice full C cup!! I have always been an A. I fit into a B when I was breastfeeding for 13 months, now I can barely fill out an A. It sucks!! But on the plus size they will never sag and the chances of breast cancer are lower (I think!). When I get sad about how small they are I just think about how they won’t look bad when I’m older.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 6:20 PM

Good site! Nice and fun reading. I just have a small point to submit about funny shirts.

hello January 22, 2011, 2:13 AM

Character is everything, so we pauperism to ensure that there are values on what we are sharing to book our subscribers involved. Effort them harassed is one feeling we must line do!
best resumes templates

Melissa March 14, 2011, 10:58 PM

When do you able to know that you were certainly wearing the wrong bra size? Some women don’t really anticipate the sizes of unique bras that they are going to wear. In fact, there are relevant situation that we don’t even guess for the exact one.

aya March 30, 2011, 1:39 AM

I have my own petite bra problem. I am an athlete, and therefore do not have a lot of body fat, but a wider back. I have found that both Natori bras, and The Little Bra Company work for me. I wear anywhere between a 36AA in Wacoal, to a 36A in Natori. My favorite bra right now is the Natori Sheer scroll bra. It is a unique bras pretty t-shirt type,and for promotional gifts that has convertible straps, and only lined cups. Highly recommend it if you are a like me:)

Gary Corbett April 2, 2011, 9:00 PM

My wife always insists I come along when she wants to buy a new bra. She always asks my opinion about them but I’m sure she only wants to see how embarrassed I get when I enter a woman’s articles shop.

Sincerely.
Gary Corbett

Kasey Hughley April 9, 2011, 10:56 PM

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!