Sky News: A 10-year-old schoolgirl suffered 70% burns after a 16-minute session at an unmanned tanning studio, it has been revealed.
The child's mother is now demanding that all unmanned salons are shut down as a matter of urgency.
Kelly Thompson was taken to hospital a few hours after leaving the tanning shop in Port Talbot, South Wales.
Medics at the Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery, where she was treated, were horrified at her condition.
Had she remained on the sunbed for another two minutes, they said she would have needed skin grafts.
Kelly has now been warned to keep out of direct sunlight for up to 10 years.
Over about the next three hours she became really red and was feeling cold, although she was burning up.
Her mother, Sharon Hannaford, 34, said the incident happened during the Easter school holidays.
"I gave Kelly some money to go to the fair with her cousin but when they got there, it was closed," she said.
"As they came back, they saw the tanning salon and went in, more out of curiosity than anything."
Mrs Hannaford said Kelly spent £8 feeding the unmanned sunbed.
"When she came home, she laid down and didn't feel too good and I noticed that she was a bit red in the face.
"Over about the next three hours she became really red and was feeling cold, although she was burning up. In the end I had to take her to hospital."
The story emerged on the day the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) issued new safety guidelines governing sunbeds.
The HSE is advising that nobody under the age of 18 should use such tanning facilities at all.
It also wants all tanning salons to be supervised by trained staff -- even if a salon is all coin-operated.
Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.