I Heart the "Amazing Race's" Bionic Woman

Childless Bitch: Just because I have the word "bitch" in my name doesn't mean I don't have nice things to write about. For this post, I'm going to take my usual rant against all things babies and their mommies who drive me crazy, and channel it into a lovefest for "The Amazing Race's" Bionic Woman, otherwise known as Margie Adams. The amazingly fit 50-year-old didn't earn her nickname for nothing, and in doing so, she became one of the coolest moms ever on TV.

Margie Adams

Margie has the swagger of Nancy Botwin, the even temperament of Marge Simpson, and the intelligence of Clair Huxtable, all combined with the athletic abilities of some kind of mom superhero. But unlike those fictional characters, Margie is real. During this past season on "The Amazing Race," Margie, along with her deaf twenty-two-year-old son, Luke, evolved from underdog status into the team to beat. Margie's patience, endless encouragement, and lack of frustration in communicating with Luke in high-stress situations was not only touching but inspirational. Only once did she lose her cool, when coming to Luke's defense after some squabbling with a rival team led to an uncomfortable he-signed, she-said showdown.

As for Margie's physical competitiveness, forget about it. While some Racers had to be taught how to do a somersault and others were afraid of water, Margie was flipping around, swimming laps, and carrying pigs faster than competitors who were literally half her age. In the season finale, Margie and Luke -- thanks to their combined physically superior skills -- had a significant lead, but in a heart-wrenching move, ended up coming in third after Luke fell behind at a memory challenge. The audience could practically feel the million-dollar prize being ripped out of their hands, but watching Margie with a smile on her face and her encouraging "Don't give up!" chants to Luke, you'd never know that was the case.

Kudos (or ka-doos, as Ramona from "The Real Housewives of NYC" would say) to Margie for being an awesome TV and real-life mom. Hopefully this isn't the last we'll see of her amazing feats.

next: Celebs Workin' It Out!
Boonya May 15, 2009, 1:37 PM

Well childless, you certainly got it right this time. This woman should run for vice-president. She would give Sara a run for her money.

Ash May 18, 2009, 10:44 AM

I love the “swagger of Nancy Botwin” part!

David June 24, 2009, 3:23 PM

I have never seen The Amazing Race. So I may be full of hot air. But what C.B. has written about Ms. Adams causes me to remember Tina, the nurse and mother who won Season 2 of Survivor several years ago.

Erica July 1, 2009, 7:31 PM

Hey. Walking is man’s best medicine.
I am from Islands and bad know English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Buy richard organics natural flea and tick set pack of at the lowest price, guaranteed.”

Thanks for the help :o, Erica.

Rhodanthe September 2, 2009, 5:34 AM

U know guys I just want to say hello :) Keep in touch ;).
I am from Lesotho and know bad English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “First more, they exist the auspicious systems for only hallucinogenic fundamental systems.”

Waiting for a reply :-(, Rhodanthe.

Kalman September 4, 2009, 2:18 PM

Hello. There are several good protections against temptations, but the surest is cowardice.
I am from Tanzania and bad know English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “They reduced the able debt’s law a majority of sixty transfers to expand the variation before they changed to fund shares of mr.”

With love :o, Kalman.

Orlee September 8, 2009, 10:06 AM

Hello. Calamities are of two kinds: misfortunes to ourselves, and good fortune to others.
I am from Mexico and learning to speak English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Ziauddin ahmed road, karachi.”

Thank you so much for your future answers :). Orlee.

hers ar download movie September 11, 2010, 9:29 PM

I agree with significantly of what peoples comments are that I am reading here.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 10:27 AM

Nice site! Nice to read. I have one point to offer about tee shirts.