Miss CA's Mom: She's Being "Persecuted"

Francine Coppola, the mother of embattled Miss California Carrie Prejean, speaks exclusively to momlogic about what she says is the persecution of her daughter for "speaking her opinion."

miss california carrie prejean and perez hilton

"My daughter is a bright, beautiful, strong woman," she tells momlogic. "She entered a pageant to WIN. She was ready physically, mentally, and spiritually to answer any FAIR question that was given to her on that stage that evening. She was asked a question and she answered it HONESTLY and from her heart. She was raised in a CHRISTIAN home. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Now she's being persecuted for speaking her opinion. This is a country that allows freedom of speech. She has every right to exercise it ... and she did."

She continues, "As a mother ... I'm proud of her, that I raised a daughter that has morals, values, and integrity to speak the TRUTH. She had the courage that evening to face an evil man in front of millions of viewers ... and not be afraid to speak what was in her heart! I know God is going to protect her from this evil man and all the others that are trying to attack her for voicing her opinion."

In response, Perez Hilton tells momlogic, "Obviously Francine Prejean has been talking with the devil more than she has with God. I don't think I'm evil. She does. We can respectfully disagree. However, God does not think I'm evil. God loves me. And I love God. I spoke to God before the Miss USA pageant and she told me to ask that question. She also told me that Carrie Prejean did not deserve to win. Really! That's what God said to me. Ask her!!"

He adds, "But, all kidding aside: the question I asked was fair and relevant. Carrie Prejean did not answer it as well as she could have. To this day, neither Carrie nor her mother acknowledge the fact that I was not upset with her answer to my question but HOW she answered it. Oh, and I spoke to God again today. She says that Carrie's title as Miss California should be taken away!"

What do you think? Is Miss California being persecuted because of her beliefs? Or should she lose her crown because of the semi-nude pictures? Sound off in our community!

next: Miss California Keeps Her Crown
Anonymous May 11, 2009, 4:29 PM

Perez is a c-nt…

Barb May 11, 2009, 4:29 PM

Guess what? I have morals, values and integrity, too. But I don’t believe in your god. Shocker! And someone like me supports ALL love… I think that commitment, including marriage, is a personal choice, NOT dependent on gender. People don’t support Miss California because she sang her “christian” morals on stage, but where were those morals when she was: 1. altering her body with implants, and 2. posing nude? I really dislike people like her, and it’s looking like many Americans agree with me! It’s unfortunate that people are using their religion to hide behind their bigotry… stop cherry-picking the bible!

Amanda May 11, 2009, 4:37 PM

She expressed her opinion badly. I can rephrase her answer to make it sound better…with words she said…but it would change her meaning. “I personally believe marriage should be between a man and a woman, but I think it’s great we live in a country where we can choose between gay marriage and opposite marriage.”

She can express her opinion, no one is denying her that, but she said it in such a way that all anyone heard is that she’s all about taking away rights.

JJ May 11, 2009, 4:46 PM

MARIO LAVENDERIA aka PEREZ HILTON is a hate-mongering PEDOPHILLE.

Cara May 11, 2009, 4:48 PM

there’s raising a winner, and then there is raising a bigot. not the same. there are so many ways to say you aren’t in favor of something in a much more dignified and intelligent way. gay marriage isn’t natural? neither are breast implants… i think she should focus on finishing college.

iHear May 11, 2009, 4:52 PM

Perez Hilton did jail time for child molestation in 1997 in Cuba.

Jamie May 11, 2009, 5:02 PM

This is yet another example of “Christians” giving true Christians a bad name. You don’t get to pick and choose what you think is right and wrong. Prejean is going to say Gay Marraige is wrong, but lying and posing nude for pics is ok. Love all, and more importantly, equality for all! If someone told me that it was wrong for me to marry the man I love, I would call them a B**** too.

Jamie May 11, 2009, 5:06 PM

P.S. No one said she was right or wrong in having an opinion. She can have her opinion and express it whenever and however she feels. But, just as any other case of expression, be prepared for the consequenses. KKK Expresses their opinions all the time, doesn’t make their opinions right or tolerable.

Darling May 11, 2009, 5:16 PM

first of all, most of these people posting things like “she has the freedom of speech and the right to say what she belives.. blah blah blah” are complete morons. Perez clearly said that he does not care what she believes, but the WAY she said it was totally wrong, i mean, geez! Its on live tv! And its a freaking beauty pageant where women are supposed to show unity and peace and support for her country. Its not to alianate people and shake their heads at people who do not “practice” christianity. Seriously people..

fed up May 11, 2009, 5:48 PM

Are you kidding me!! Wake up world! Wake up homosexuals… you are not the rulers of our society… YOU ARE THE OUTCAST! You are the ones that thrive on small remarks, like Carrie’s, just to “get the attention” you are so needing by society. Accept the fact that God will strike you in one way or the other- it is written in Scripture- read the Bible- read Genesis and Revelations. Read about Sodom and Gomorrah.
Carrie spoke her honest opinion- that is what our children of today SHOULD know… same sex marriage is WRONG! It is not acceptable!!!

Daredevil May 11, 2009, 5:57 PM

Folks who trash Prejean for what she did in the past need to grow up. We all made mistakes in our younger years. She has never stated she is perfect nor without sin. Nor is that ever a requirement to become a Christian or speak on what is Christian morality. To be a Chrisitan, one needs to recognize one is a sinner and turn to Christ and believe He died for our sins. So to say that she sinned in the past is no proof she cannot speak on morality now.

If one cannot speak on what is right and wrong because one has a blemished past or if one is not perfect or without sin now, none of us can speak on what is right and wrong.

The ones bashing her over this are the real hypocrites.

Daredevil May 11, 2009, 6:01 PM

“BTW if she is supposed to have such strong Christian Values why is she running around getting boob jobs, and taking slutty looking pics and God knows what else.”

Having bad past does not make one less a Christian. It is precisely because we are sinners we turn to Christ (meaning to become Christians) since He died for our sins. So the argument about past pictures don’t prove anything what any Christian like her already say: we are all sinners in need of God’s grace.

As for boob jobs, sorry, the Bible does not condemn that. Nor oral surgery. Nor braces. Nor anything else to make us look better.

Christians with strong Christian values do not claim to be able to live up to those values. We claim only Christ can, and we strive to live up to them, but we are still imperfect.

The problem with folks bashing Christians is that they are bashing folks who have values they strive to live up to, as excuse to make themselves moral superior for not having that high of values to live up to begin with. The bashers are the ones being hypocritical here.

MARY JANE May 11, 2009, 6:08 PM

I applaud Miss Prejean for standing up in what she believes in and I am ashamed of all of you who are judging her so harshly. This is America and as Americans we have FREEDOM of SPEECH as well as the FREEDOM to choose how we are going to live our lives. Your way may not be my way and mine may not be yours however, many fine American men and women have given their lives so that we may ALL be FREE. I’m sure there are so many other things we could be doing to make ALL of our lives better than to judge one another for what we believe in, say,or do. We need to be addressing our current financial problems and helping those who are loosing their homes, or going hungry or have lost their jobs. Really, We need to turn our focus on helping one another in this dificult time and leave Miss USA alone.
By the way Shannon, you are wrong HE is coming back just as Kimba said HE would. Sorry you did not learn that or chose to not believe that. I feel very sorry for you and everyone who shares your opinion.
MJ

c lo May 11, 2009, 6:10 PM

As a Christian, it’s this kind of “Moral Christians” that give the rest of us a bad name. I’m glad Carrie’s mom is speaking up because, let’s be honest…Carrie is still so much of a child herself, she clearly is parroting just what mommy and daddy are saying. The real embarrassments here are her parents, NOT Carrie. Francine Prejean is clearly a “pick and chose” “Christian”, picking what she wants to obey in the Bible, twisting the Scripture, and probably sinning behind her closed doors just like the rest of us. She raised an insensitive daughter who hopefully will grow out of her ignorance and maybe read the entire Bible someday, hopefully.

Carrie certainly had the right to speak what she’s been taught, but the rest of us have the right to also speak our minds and call her out on her and her family’s hypocricy. It goes both ways, Francine. If Perez is “evil” for calling your daughter out on your beliefs, then you are equally evil for your persecution of him for “speaking his opinion in this fee country”.

Milliann Johnson May 11, 2009, 6:40 PM

The questioned should not be asked at a padgent, unless it is a homosexual one. Perez Hilton was wrong!!!!But he represents a faction of the Homosexual community (like Rosie ODorous)that think they have the right to cram their values down everyone elses, throat. It is one’s own personal business who you have sexual relations with and our Great God gave us all a free will and no human has the right to dictate otherwise, but he also gave us a blueprint to live by and consequences if we don’t. Marriage is a contract and in our culture and as dictated by NATURE that type of contract can only be fulfilled by a man & a woman. If you are a same sex couple there are plenty of legal remedies for you to protect your belongings ect. The State of California voted Down same sex marriage, so how is she not representing California appropriately. If her pic’s were in violation of her contract then so be it, but with the attire they were during the event, I pretty much think those rules are laughable.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrienne May 11, 2009, 7:26 PM

Look, she was running for Miss California and as that she is representing the state in this pageant. That means she is representing the people that live in that state. All the people. Not just who she chooses. Was it bad luck that she was asked this question? Probably, but she was asked and she should have answered it better.
I don’t think she should keep her crown ‘cause it seems that now she is ignoring her duties and going on her own personal crusade.

GOD HATES PEREZ May 11, 2009, 8:13 PM

Perez is beyond EVIL he should be lynched.If there is a God,God HATES U MARIO.

JaMesha May 11, 2009, 9:23 PM

Lookie here the gaydors should not be marrying it is morally wrong, just like Ms Prejean stated. Now you little gaydies need to stop messing with this young lady she has a right to an opinion. Now good day Gaybubs.

Debra May 11, 2009, 11:32 PM

Wake up people…she IS the voice of all people. Her opinion represents the MAJORITY of Americans, more specifically California where voters shot down Prop 8. Perez Hilton is the hypocrite to free speech and bullying. He’s a poor example of gay rights and his abhorent behavior shows his lack of maturity and inability to get over an answer he didn’t like that went against his lifestyle.

Modres May 12, 2009, 12:45 AM

Carrie said what she said and she was certainly NOT vicious about it. She gave her BELIEFS, which is essentially what Perez asked for (her OPINION). He went off like a child throwing a tantrum on his own blog.

The homosexual community has lost TWICE in California and yet they continue to push their agenda as if their OPINION is the majority. When they don’t get their way, they pout, throw a hissy and threaten. If those who voted to retain marriage as being between a man and a woman LOST and did what they are doing now, we would be told to “DEAL WITH IT!”

I guess that only works if you’re homosexual.

I would like someone to show me ONE Christian who is PERFECT. It cannot be done because NO Christian IS perfect. It simply does not happen in this life. That should be a no-brainer, but it appears as though too many individuals actually have no brains, since they have absolutely NO ability to grasp that concept.

She gave her opinion which was consistent with her beliefs. Silicone breasts are ammoral. Posing in underwear - while not a great testimony - is considered ART by many. So Christians cannot pose in their underwear now? Let’s see, we can’t say homosexuality is wrong. We cannot get breast implants. Certainly should not wear make-up, nor should we wear high heels. Probably a potato sack down to the ankles is the way to go. Perfume is a no-no since it is believed by some that it is actually a sexual mood enhancer, blah, blah, blah.

Those of you who are whining are really beginning to sound extremely asinine in your attempts to point out Carrie’s shortcomings. I say remove the board from your own eye before you start to dump on her.

She was ASKED and gave her OPINION! Deal with it.