Miss CA's Mom: She's Being "Persecuted"

Francine Coppola, the mother of embattled Miss California Carrie Prejean, speaks exclusively to momlogic about what she says is the persecution of her daughter for "speaking her opinion."

miss california carrie prejean and perez hilton

"My daughter is a bright, beautiful, strong woman," she tells momlogic. "She entered a pageant to WIN. She was ready physically, mentally, and spiritually to answer any FAIR question that was given to her on that stage that evening. She was asked a question and she answered it HONESTLY and from her heart. She was raised in a CHRISTIAN home. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Now she's being persecuted for speaking her opinion. This is a country that allows freedom of speech. She has every right to exercise it ... and she did."

She continues, "As a mother ... I'm proud of her, that I raised a daughter that has morals, values, and integrity to speak the TRUTH. She had the courage that evening to face an evil man in front of millions of viewers ... and not be afraid to speak what was in her heart! I know God is going to protect her from this evil man and all the others that are trying to attack her for voicing her opinion."

In response, Perez Hilton tells momlogic, "Obviously Francine Prejean has been talking with the devil more than she has with God. I don't think I'm evil. She does. We can respectfully disagree. However, God does not think I'm evil. God loves me. And I love God. I spoke to God before the Miss USA pageant and she told me to ask that question. She also told me that Carrie Prejean did not deserve to win. Really! That's what God said to me. Ask her!!"

He adds, "But, all kidding aside: the question I asked was fair and relevant. Carrie Prejean did not answer it as well as she could have. To this day, neither Carrie nor her mother acknowledge the fact that I was not upset with her answer to my question but HOW she answered it. Oh, and I spoke to God again today. She says that Carrie's title as Miss California should be taken away!"

What do you think? Is Miss California being persecuted because of her beliefs? Or should she lose her crown because of the semi-nude pictures? Sound off in our community!

next: Miss California Keeps Her Crown
Rachel May 12, 2009, 2:26 AM

Christians are supposed to be non-judgemental. When did God give Christians the power to dictate how other humans live? Only God has the power to judge others and he just wants us to be happy. Straight, gay, lesbian, or bi…all is good in his book!

pamela May 12, 2009, 4:57 AM

This whole thing has been bigger than what it should have been and the one to blame is perez. He is so annoying like what does his job if that’s what you’d like to call it entail besides butting/judging people’s lives. She answered the questions based on her beliefs and had she answered otherwise, then that would have been fake so props to her! And so what that she got a boob job? I’m pretty sure more than half of the contestants have had some form of operation done too. About the pics, so what? We live in a society now where it’s normal to see celebs on the cover of maxim and stuff posing the same way she did. I don’t think she should be stripped of her title at all. And perez needs to get a real life!

pamela May 12, 2009, 4:58 AM

pamela May 12, 2009, 4:59 AM

Patty May 12, 2009, 7:50 AM

The pictures were not nude, many models pose partially covered with no back lash! This is supposed to be a free country and with that comes the right to have an oppinion, even though not everyone agrees with you.

I support her saying her oppinion out loud, being conservitive in this political climate is very difficult. Stay strong and never change your oppinion no matter what.

Lynn May 12, 2009, 9:01 AM

Give me a break, this is just another story of a “Beauty Queen Bimbo” that stuck her foot in her mouth..and did things that any respectable girl would not have done. The world has a lot more problems to deal with, Get a life people, start worring about the children starving in our own country and let the cards fall where they may regarding this little chicky, (You reap what you sow)…

Samantha May 12, 2009, 9:41 AM

God Bless You and Carrie. She is being persecuted but God will see her through. Perez Hilton and Shanna Moakler have no business casting stones. Stay strong!

jo May 12, 2009, 11:00 AM

every one is intitled to there opinion, get over it she’s a real beauty. this is america where we can speak our minds. so all you angry people out there get a life move on

Angii  May 12, 2009, 11:34 AM

What gives them the right to not let you voice your opinion. To be on the safe side your daughter should have not answer the question … but wait then she would not have voiced her opinion. I am glad she said what see said. Now tell Hilton to get a LIFE and move on to the next scandal ….

Steph May 12, 2009, 12:20 PM

I’m not commenting on the rest of Miss CA’s actions, just on her answer to the gay marriage question, but isn’t this the USA, where a person has the right to believe as they choose? She doesn’t believe in gay marriage - I’ve read comments elsewhere from gays who denigrate straight people. Doesn’t mean either one is right, it’s just their opinion, to which they are entitled. A comment saying gay marriage has to be endorsed by all is as offensive as the opposite comment is to those who think otherwise. The question was asked, she answered truthfully, and that’s that. It’s a free country (still) and we are all entitled to our beliefs and opinions and the right to state them publicly.

BUCK May 12, 2009, 12:22 PM

She’s speaking her opinion. I guess it’s not her fault that she’s been brainwashed to hate other people. I didn’t think hatred was Christ’s message, though. I thought He wanted everyone to love each other. I guess I missed His point for dying on the cross. My bad.

NO H8!!!

Lana May 12, 2009, 1:07 PM

The pageant was a joke to begin with, especially with Perez Hilton as a judge and Claudia Jordan. I mean come on, she has been seen by media drunk in public acting all kind of stupid. And as for semi nude pics, heck they are half nude when they come out in the swimsuits! Hello people! It is obvious they are playing favorites and punishing the girl for her opinion and beliefs.

cosmicmojoq May 12, 2009, 1:09 PM

Wait, HE’S ‘evil,’ but she has the right to her own opinon? What hypocricy. If she wants the right to her own opinion, than PH gets that SAME RIGHT and should not be Called EVIL for stating HIS opinion. That lady is a WITCH HUNTER. (and uses poor grammar) What an uneducated judgemental hater. She’s what we’re trying to leave behind in the 18th century. Hating will kill us lady.

Jase May 12, 2009, 1:23 PM

people who are gay or support gay marriage shouldn’t be persecuted and people who are NOT gay and don’t believe in gay marriage should NOT be persecuted!

Lee Reyes-Fournier May 12, 2009, 5:40 PM

She is a role model that can’t lied about her past and continues to lie tin the face of the evidence. The photos TMZ is showing today are anything but lingerie photos. They show nipple. Sorry Carrie, you can’t make excuses (the wind blew my vest?! Are you kidding?) and it’s time to take responsiblity. You are entitled to your opinion but when you are a beauty queen who wants to rep a state like California, being inclusive would behoove you. The persecution rhetoric is for the benefit of Christians who want to make the Jesus reference. Carrie, and Mom, you aren’t Jesus because he loved everybody!
Lee from www.coupledumb.com

Shannon Blanton May 12, 2009, 5:48 PM

It’s not like she did a full spread in PlayBoy. Her pictures were not so bad. My gosh if you think those pictures of her are slutty, I hate to think of how you’d react to some of the crud they show on soap operas. She got to keep her crown and I am glad. They let the cocaine addict keep hers from last year, if anyone should have lost it, it was her..

RetroChik May 12, 2009, 6:02 PM

Hey Abbi, ever hear of PhotoShop? I use it all the time to alter photos. It’s also what they use to make the movie stars look like they have no flaws or to make them look like they are preggers when they are not. Seeing is NOT believing in this day of photo imagery…

GPC May 12, 2009, 6:25 PM

I think she is being persecuted. While I don’t have too many issues with gay marriage, others should be entitled to their opinions either way. Who are we judge someone’s opinions. Like none of have opinions that are “socially acceptable.” There wouldn’t have been any problem if she hadn’t have expressed her true opinion…but you know what? I think it’s refreshing that someone was HONEST about an issue for once. At least she didn’t blow sunshine up anyone’s butt. In my opinion she had a lot of integrity by being honest about that. Kudos to her…how many other were lying at that pageant just to get ahead? I’m sure there were plenty. Just because an opinion is unpopular, doesn’t mean that everyone is free to release the hounds upon her. Chances are a lot of people here are total hypocrites.

Susan May 12, 2009, 7:41 PM

He asked a relevant question for today’s society, why does that make him evil? I think this woman should pay more attention to the pictures her 16 year old daughter is taking without clothes on vs acting out against a judge.
The only person that should be judged here in this is this mother who has NO morales.
Get a grip.