Miss CA's Mom: She's Being "Persecuted"

Francine Coppola, the mother of embattled Miss California Carrie Prejean, speaks exclusively to momlogic about what she says is the persecution of her daughter for "speaking her opinion."

miss california carrie prejean and perez hilton

"My daughter is a bright, beautiful, strong woman," she tells momlogic. "She entered a pageant to WIN. She was ready physically, mentally, and spiritually to answer any FAIR question that was given to her on that stage that evening. She was asked a question and she answered it HONESTLY and from her heart. She was raised in a CHRISTIAN home. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Now she's being persecuted for speaking her opinion. This is a country that allows freedom of speech. She has every right to exercise it ... and she did."

She continues, "As a mother ... I'm proud of her, that I raised a daughter that has morals, values, and integrity to speak the TRUTH. She had the courage that evening to face an evil man in front of millions of viewers ... and not be afraid to speak what was in her heart! I know God is going to protect her from this evil man and all the others that are trying to attack her for voicing her opinion."

In response, Perez Hilton tells momlogic, "Obviously Francine Prejean has been talking with the devil more than she has with God. I don't think I'm evil. She does. We can respectfully disagree. However, God does not think I'm evil. God loves me. And I love God. I spoke to God before the Miss USA pageant and she told me to ask that question. She also told me that Carrie Prejean did not deserve to win. Really! That's what God said to me. Ask her!!"

He adds, "But, all kidding aside: the question I asked was fair and relevant. Carrie Prejean did not answer it as well as she could have. To this day, neither Carrie nor her mother acknowledge the fact that I was not upset with her answer to my question but HOW she answered it. Oh, and I spoke to God again today. She says that Carrie's title as Miss California should be taken away!"

What do you think? Is Miss California being persecuted because of her beliefs? Or should she lose her crown because of the semi-nude pictures? Sound off in our community!

next: Miss California Keeps Her Crown
Margie May 12, 2009, 8:55 PM

You go Mom! Don’t let that dirtbag treat your
daughter like that. Don’t know about evil, but rotten ,
yeah. He lost.Move on.

Jules May 12, 2009, 8:55 PM

I am sorry. For one thing, in my opinion, Perez Hilton is a dip****…gay or not, it would not matter. He is a dip****. Now, where does he come off however, dissing this girl because her opinion differs from his? Are we not allowed here in America to have our own opinions? He wants to be free to pursue the “love” style he wants to pursue, so, why can she not voice the opinion on the lifestyle she pursues? She was not “gay-bashing”…she was just stating her opinion. In my opinion, he was “hetero-bashing.” I believe to each his own as long as you do not force it on other people. Variety is the spice of life. And, not to malighn gay people. I have alot of friends who are gay. But not a one of them is as idiotic and untalented as Mr. Hilton. But, the public has given him free reign to act the way he does. But, it is a shame. And, what is also a shame is that Perez Hilton’s parents were a heterosexual couple if you know what I mean.

Tina May 12, 2009, 8:56 PM

Maybe this jerk shouldn’t have asked her the question if wasn’t prepared for an honest answer. She has every right to express her opinion. It does say in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin and I am tired of gay people getting angry at Christians because they stand by their beliefs. What gay people need to realize is, she didn’t write the Bible she just believes in the word of GOD. If this guy didn’t want to hear a Christian’s opinion then he should have never asked. By the way, the Bible does not say that nudity is a sin! You were born naked remember? If God thought nudity was bad we would all be born in clothes!

JP May 12, 2009, 8:59 PM

Morals, values and integrity? Really? Where were all her morals, values and integrity when she was undressing for money. If her mother raised her so well, why did she compete in a pageant that only values a women on looks and please do not dispute this, we all know looks are how you win. They both need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Tim May 12, 2009, 8:59 PM

if you cant make a baby together then you should not be married ..

Tyler May 12, 2009, 9:00 PM

I applaud Carrie Prejean for answering the question the way she deemed appropriate. Do I agree with her answer? No. It is true, she could’ve answered the question in a way that wouldn’t have offended anyone. What she believes outside of the pageant is her business, but standing up there representing the state of California and knowing that 1/2 the people voted for same sex marriage because they know people who are gay and it doesn’t bother them if they choose too marry was completely irresponsible. To say, “I believe marriage between a man and a woman only” is plain mean and hurtful to many people, and it’s a line that is redundantly overused. Also, what’s a Christian woman doing running in a superficial pageant anyway? Shouldn’t she be in Bible study. Oh and tell her mother to stay out of it.

t jimenez May 12, 2009, 9:00 PM

Isnt it strange how gays want you to be like them if your not they have a cow just like perez hilton.

HOLLY May 12, 2009, 9:03 PM

Miss California was going to be a star no matter how she answered Perez’ question. The contestant who was going to be on the other end of his question was going to have her life changed no matter how she answered or who she was. If she would have supported non-traditional marriage, the gay side would be using her the way marriage now is using her. But because she answered it the way she did, its going down like this. Either way, she got asked a tough question and her life was going to be opened up, dissected and brought into light no matter who it was or how it was answered.

The man May 12, 2009, 9:03 PM

I wonder if she will ever realize that she answered that question incorrectly?

Esther May 12, 2009, 9:03 PM

I find it interesting that so many people are judging her for expressing her opinion about marriage. But that’s what people do. Hilton asked for her opinion and then degraded her publicly and called her names (very mature of you Hilton). Christians can speak of evil and be Christians. It’s like calling an apple an apple when you see it. The nude picture mess is obviously coming from ignorant people who don’t know what’s happening here. There were no nude pictures at all. They were inappropriate pictures taken when she was 17 years old, lingerie as a matter of fact. They were not hidden either. Young people are impressionable and she knew when she became a Christian that they might come back and haunt her, however, that’s the greatest thing about God, Creator of Heaven, and Earth and all that is in it. He designed us, He forgives us. It doesn’t matter what others think. She had to speak her heart and she did. You go Girl!!

Kit May 12, 2009, 9:03 PM

I think Carrie Prejean,was honest in her answer and because Perez Hilton did not get the answer he wanted to hear he was angry, so his agenda is to have her crown taken away, What happened to freedom of speech and the ability to speak out about something you do not agree with? Isn’t that what gays are fighting for?

Shlim Youkhana May 12, 2009, 9:04 PM

Perez Hilton’s remarks and phony excuses
and his unfit personality and fictitious
story of communicating with Almighty GOD
are nauseating and unethical, to say the
least. Mr. Big Shot Hilton, say your last prayers on this earth, because pretty soon you’ll be going to HELL
with all your evil compatriots. That’s
where you deserve to be. Carrie did a
very fantastic job, for which she must
get the crown - not only of CA, but of
the God Blessed USA where everyone is
free to speak her/his mind truthfully
without fear and the innuendos you and
your cohorts have been shamefully
attaching to her past. I also agree
100% with Carrie’s Mom’s comments about you, which she did mildly and ethically.
Go and jump in the lake, that’s where
you belong Mr. PH.

danny May 12, 2009, 9:04 PM

Hilton must be a gay lover boy. He was just mad when he didn’t get the answer he wanted. Who says you have to be for gays getting married. He asked a question, and I thought she gave an honest answer from her view. Is Obama’s view any differant? NO. end of story.

Chad May 12, 2009, 9:05 PM

Shannon, you are a pitiful soul lacking understanding.There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14:12

George May 12, 2009, 9:05 PM

Perez Hilton is a sad little man?? His whole agenda was to promote queers. For Pete’s sake, can anything in America be free of this junk. He speaks of talking to God. I wonder if he has ever read Romans, chapter 1, verses 21 thru 32. Evidently not!!

JaneB3 May 12, 2009, 9:05 PM

Miss California is not being persecuted. She’s a liar, a phony, and she breached her contract. However, Donald Trump, who never passes up a PR angle, didn’t fire Carrie to enjoy all the free publicity he’s garnering. Or … maybe there’s more to it. Carrie Prejean walks and talks like what she is …..

viv May 12, 2009, 9:06 PM

hilton is a gay stupid man trying to make trouble….what does her pictures have to do with gay marriages, nothing!
they are two different problems….this is a nice girl, and he is a gay pain in the you know what….spoiled brat who tries to make a mountain out of a molehill….

Max May 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

Marry what the hell you want, you’ll stand before the Judge one day and He can give you His definition of marriage.

Fletch May 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

Say what you will, the reason she gets trashed is because Liberals run the media, hence the topic in the news. Down home middles class values are run into the crapper everyday on tv, radio, the web, whatever. When special interests control the topic there is no chance for MAJORITY beliefs to get play. Yes I said MAJORITY, the majority does NOT want, gay marriage, quotas, special assistance, goverment control, handouts, taxes out the wazzoo, etc…. I know the PC police will be “all up in” my words but it’s the truth. We in middle America don’t give a darn about, all those freakin liberal beliefs that we get forced feed everyday on local news, the today show, Dave Letterman, and all the other cats with the same strips. We are the silent majority, getting up everyday and pulling the wagon for the rest of you looking for some free something or some equal something. Fortunes are MADE, not given or handed out. Tired of it! Tell you what why don’t we split the country in 2 halfs, you liberals and big government folks can have half with your restrictions, oversite, pc, quotas, unions, no guns, no personal responsibility, give-away society, then us level headed folks can have free enterprise, minimum oversite, free market, gun carrying, God respecting, pro business, common sense,,,,etc. society and we will see whose asking for HELP before the other. OK, I’m Done, go ahead you and make fun of something I’ve said and avoid the arguement, or make reference to some spelling error or something else you can cling onto to make yourself to feel superior. The fact is that our grandfathers and grandmothers and fathers and mothers worked hard to give us the country that we have,,,,,and they made it so easy for us that we don’t even believe it’s working or worth saving anymore. OK so some of you are thinking to yourself, “my grandparents were slaves or my grandparents were immigrants, so what. We all have a starting point, some lower some higher the fact is that in America you can go to the top, no matter where you come from,,,,,all the way. That’s why people swim in shark infested waters to get here,,,,,we are the beacon of hope in a lousy world.. Are we above reproach,,,,no,,,,are we without error,,,,no! But we are the best darn thing going. Just ask those who don’t have Liberty. And we are giving it up one battle at a time, to the PC police, the government, the special interest, and the lobbist. Give me liberty or give me death,,,,gladly.

Whatever makes you happy May 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

Elisa - I totally agree with you. She gave an honest answer - how about some major points for honesty, instead of trying to give an answer to win? The one judge however, took the answer, in which she meant no harm, and was personally offended by it, and came, back with some tactless, classless, obnoxious remarks, in which he WAS trying to personally offend. To each his own, and he is no better than her for making those remarks . If my son were gay, I would welcome his significant lover with open arms. Kudos for the girl’s honesty and for sticking to the morals she was raised on. Thumbs down to the judge who was so over-reactive. The girl posed for nude pics? Well, what does that really have to do with her answer re gay issues?