My Daughter Was Killed By a Window Cord

Linda Kaiser lost her daughter in 2002.

Linda and Cheyenne

We were shocked when we heard the news that Mike Tyson's daughter had tragically died after getting a cord wrapped around her neck in a treadmill accident. We talked to mom of three Linda Kaiser, who lost her daughter to a cord accident, for her perspective.

Momlogic: Describe your life prior to the cord accident ...

Linda: On May 25th, 2001, I gave birth to my twins, Seth and Cheyenne. My husband and I baby-proofed our house. We put locks on the cabinets, made sure all the safety plugs were in, and we made sure the window cords were high out of reach. I did everything I thought a parent should do. I thought what was listed in the parenting magazines was just common knowledge, and I felt I was doing all the right things.

ML: Can you please take us through what happened to Cheyenne?

Linda: On June 12th, 2002, it was a summer's night. I put the twins down at 7:30 PM. They usually played together in their crib and fell asleep. I put my ear to the door and didn't hear anything. I thought they were sleeping, so I continued to turn the house down for the night. My husband, daughter Maddie, and I were sitting in the living room talking, and before putting Maddie to bed, we all went into the twins' room to check on them and watch them sleep (as we did every night).

Suddenly, I saw my daughter, Cheyenne, in the corner of the crib in an unnatural position. She was sitting up with her head down. I grabbed her and saw the window cord around her neck. I called 911 and did CPR. It was too late -- she had been gone for a while. She died and our world came crashing down all around us. Cheyenne died just 18 days after her first birthday.

ML: How did Cheyenne reach the cord?

Linda: I didn't understand how she got the cord because I tied them up. She must have grabbed the cord in between the flaps of the blinds and formed a loop out of it. That loop went around her neck and she strangled that way. At first, the police didn't believe me, and they were very suspicious because they didn't understand it. The police interrogated me and it wasn't until about two weeks later when a friend sat me down and showed me exactly what had happened.

ML: As a mother grieving the loss of your daughter, what gave you the strength to turn your tragedy into triumph by starting your organization?

Linda: A friend made a memorial website for our daughter and a lot of people contacted me through it. Within two months, three moms contacted me who had also lost their children. I realized it wasn't a freak accident, and cord accidents happened more than I thought. Then, a retired NY firefighter contacted me and said since about 1991, there were over 300 kids who died and that it happened every two weeks. I realized I needed to do something. I didn't want another parent to go through what I did after losing my daughter. There was a need to understand how dangerous these cords are. In 2002, my husband and I founded "Parents For Window Blind Safety."

ML: What was your reaction to hearing about Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter?

Linda: I immediately wanted to reach out and contact him and tell him how sorry I am because I support parents who lose their children to these types of accidents or whose children are injured. My heart absolutely goes out to the Tyson family -- and to any parent whose child strangles on anything. It's violent and, too often, a parent cannot hear a child strangling.

People point fingers at the parents. They ask, Where were you when your child was hurt? What were you doing? Often these people don't have children or they have one child and don't realize as a parent, you try to multitask. It only takes two minutes for a child to strangle, and have air cut off to the point where there is physical damage. It only takes 4 minutes for a child to strangle to death. A household chore like vacuuming or dusting can take that much time -- you can turn your back for a few minutes and it can happen, just like that. Any cord longer than 7 ¼ inches can kill a child.

I hope the public isn't hard on the Tyson family and I hope they don't judge what kind of parents they are. I have studied these accidents, and it's silent. Kids have strangled in the same room as their mom who's napping. You cannot hear anything.

ML: What is your advice to moms?

Linda: Every parent should go cordless on whatever they can in their home, be it the window coverings or electronic appliances like the computer, phone, etc. Parents need to know that any cord longer than 7 ¼ inches can strangle a child.

92 children have died since 2000 from window cord strangulation. Most of them were on window covering products manufactured after 2001, meaning these cords had safety tassels, but just one string with a safety tassel can still strangle around a child's neck.

In terms of the Tyson tragedy, I never thought about the treadmill, but I know exactly what they're talking about. I can't tell you how to make it safer in this situation because that cord is supposed to be a safety device. You use it for safety -- maybe they need to make a retractable cord ... I would tell parents to be mindful of what's in their home, check that wires and cords are secured and not hanging, and make sure all cords are out of your children's reach.

Our hearts go out to Linda Kaiser, and to Mike Tyson's family.

next: The Lying Game
Liz May 27, 2009, 10:04 AM

Its not just window cords. My daughter was hung trying to climb into her brothers booster seat at our kitchen table. I had left her there for just a minute. It was an area I belived was child proof. She had just turned one and tried to climb up the chair and in to his booster seat. Her foot must have slipped and as she went down she got wedged between the booster seat and the underside of the table. It completly cut off her airway. I found her blue and unconsious. I was able to get her breathing again but could not get her to wake up. She was taken to the hospital and kept over night. The doctors were amazed that she is fine. She is now 6 1/2 and has no side affects. I know though if I had been out of the room another minute longer the out come would have been much different. It still makes me cry when I think of how close I was to loosing her that day.

Gigohead  May 27, 2009, 10:15 AM

I find toys with strings to be very detrimental as well. My 4 year-old nephew was playing with a wooden toy with a string that has a wooden circle. The goal is to get the wooden circle in the peg on the handle. I turned around and my nephew had the toy wrapped around his neck. I’ve cut the cords on the blinds also. I feel my nephew will also find a way to get those around his neck too.

Amanda May 27, 2009, 1:58 PM

I find the entire scenario to be sad, it makes me not want to have more children. I have the most beautiful daughter and would be devastated if I lost her. I am so sorry for the Tyson family and for everyone else who has lost or nearly lost a child. It is heart breaking and unrealistic. My thoughts are with you!

Kay May 27, 2009, 2:45 PM

this is so sad to hear about little ones killed or almost for that matter, my prayers go out to all the family’s that have lost a child. i have 2 beautiful little girls and just the thought of one of them not being with us any more breaks my heart and more..

Cathy May 27, 2009, 3:25 PM

OMG! My heart goes out to the Tyson family. As a grandmother to a 3 year old child who was killed on window blinds, I know the tragedy of a situation like this. Linda Kaiser and I are friends, and became friends when Linda contacted me about her organization, after she found out about Brooke, my grandaughter. It’s so terrible. It happens so fast, and so silently! Brooke was supposedly asleep for the night when she got caught up in the blinds.. My son thought they were out of her reach, 5 feet high on a ledge. But she climbed up there and got it round her neck somehow. Things like this bring it all back. Linda Kaiser is a tireless warrior in her quest to get these killers off of the market, and it’s working, but we need more help. We need for people to realize this isn’t a FLUKE accident. It’s happened too many times to be fluke. DON’T USE CORDED WINDOW TREATMENTS IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN! God bless you Linda, and may God watch over, and keep you tireless in your quest. People, please don’t ever think it couldn’t happen in your family….I never thought ours would be so broken over such a tragedy, because of the safety precautions we took. My deepest sympathies go out to the Tyson family, and I pray they can find some peace in the future. It’s just so hard to lose a child….so, so hard.

Rachel May 27, 2009, 4:08 PM

I am 37 and my cousin hung himself when we were babies. I don’t remember him because I was a baby myself, but my aunt still has a hard time with it and for a long time I remember them talking about him and saying it was her fault. People in the family to this day try to say it was her fault. back then you just did not have support groups like you do now.

hotel buchen tuerkei February 1, 2010, 8:47 PM

Shoot Market,mass ensure along before finally tonight since before energy writer assumption representative late question leave poor success ignore occur typical rely run discuss advance executive round transfer only interest be lunch critical provide district charge crime above health smile set imply life advance remove growing hence name dress detail market protect divide provision us as out distribution spend corporate respond general later revolution concern directly frequently immediate over drive organise early society fall shall correct bind possibility live experiment government go less for train politics usually return individual

hypotheek August 8, 2010, 3:41 PM

Hypotheken? Heel veel hypotheek informatie: verschillende hypotheekvormen, hypotheekrentes, nationale hypotheek garantie, hoe een hypotheek te vergelijken.

Golf Clubs September 14, 2010, 10:37 AM

In related news, one of the women who had sex with Tiger Woods said he never talked about golf during sex. But, he did keep his head down and his left arm straight.

Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:41 AM

What is the difference in between Santa and Tiger Woods? Santa quits following 3 Ho’s.

KeriLowe18 October 14, 2010, 3:12 AM

If you want to buy a car, you would have to receive the loan. Moreover, my mother all the time utilizes a term loan, which is the most reliable.

Sprzedaż mieszkań Wrocław November 29, 2010, 6:02 AM

Bookmarked your website. Thank you for sharing. Definitely worth the time away from my workload.

Tim November 30, 2010, 9:48 AM

You’re a charming person I want to say so I will.

Drukarki etykiet December 3, 2010, 12:51 PM

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you could give us something to look at, something that would connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion.

riwiera turecka December 3, 2010, 1:07 PM

This really is the very best post I understand as of these days.Exactly where did you got every one of the data from? That is very useful and really education. I will remain awhile in right here. Worth reading each wordsf

Bodum December 6, 2010, 12:30 AM

Wakacje Grecja December 6, 2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down… Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

psycholog Warszawa December 6, 2010, 8:12 PM

Heyy – I should say, I sure am happy with your website. I had no trouble navigating via all of the tabs and the information was really easy to gain access to. I discovered what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty awesome. Thank s alot!

nowe mieszkania Wrocław December 7, 2010, 2:03 AM

it was very interesting to read. I want to quote your post in my blog. It can? And you have an account on Twitter?

wentylacja December 7, 2010, 6:21 AM